Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Nov 1, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #676 of 1,068
Just try e70, vocal sound very clean and detail, soundstage and position is very good, really blow e40 away in every aspect.

Nov 1, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #677 of 1,068
If not bias, I think e70 sound better than im03, clean and natural vocal, but i still prefer im02 and im04 thought, especially when pair with upgrade cable.

Nov 1, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #679 of 1,068
Can you describe some improvement of the upgrade cable (AT HDC 5). I'm using Im03 and thinking about got one too. Thanks

Well, for im03 is a huge upgrade, first you will notice high become much more brighter with better extend and crips,

mid is sound clearer and cleaner, especially vocal become more showy and extend more (vocal head satisfaction garunteed)

low is has better impact and tighter,

Soundstage wider a bit,

Well summarry it's overall improvement and change sound signature to brighter, I like it especially a female vocal, is sound excellent with HDC5 that vocal become too dull with out it.

Nov 1, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #680 of 1,068
Whenever you ask about the E40 , it seems that they get ignored duo to being monitors , with hard fit and long cable . I read they are better than the IM70 , IM50 . ordered them for70$ , then canceled the order because of huge delay in shipping .
 I heard about the IM series update ( new ATH LS SERIES ) few days ago , ATH LS50 and ATH LS70 , which are made for music listening purposes , there will be released on 15 of November .
I'm still not sure how would they compare to the E40 .
The new  ATH LS70s is viewed to be  about 120$ in some sites .
LS50s for about 65$ ( LS50 about the same price as an E40 ) , i think it will have a better fit , but i'm not sure if it would be an upgrade in SQ  .

Interesting. I wonder what the differences in sound will be. IMO the knew IEMs look more basic, and at $120 bit more expensive. Let's wait and see...

edit: I just noticed that they aren't using the same technologies, so the new ATH LS70 could sound pretty different from the Push-Pull E40 and CKR series.

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #681 of 1,068
The E series is a good IEM series especially the E70 but the entire earphone assembly is shaped funny. the leg is a bit short so if the tip does not fit perfectly, the sound is badly affected. As it was a demo piece, I did not press the stockist sales rep to fit me up with the exact tip. So i pressed it into my ear and helped it stay in place with my fingers. Not ideal!. Still I reckon the bass even for the E70 is set as flat or neutral. If there is bassy noise in the environment ( for my daily train and bus rides) the sound won't be good enough. So it is for "Monitoring use". 
To your question, I have used the CKS 90, ( that I call the traditional Audio technica sound) - Grew out of it.
Tested the IM series extensively when I was in Japan over 2 holiday trips. - ie IM01, IM02, IM03 and recently at the Spore AT Stockist the IM04
Also tested the IM70, IM50 in Japan extensively.
Surprising even as I was willing to pay more for the IM02 or IM03, their sound signature did not suit my taste
I found the IM70 and IM50 suits my music more (which is Jazz - all sub-genres, Blues, Blue Grass, Country, Classic Rock, Audiophile HD Track and DSD64, DSD128)
So anything from FourPlay, Chris Botti, Herbie Hancock, Eric Clapton, Alison Krauss and her band, Miles Davies, Chesky label downloads, etc)

I would recommend you try out the IM50 and IM70.IM50 is bassy and a bit bloated with leak through to the lower mids. But it is a fun IEM. 
I came upon the BKS77 as it was offered as a store special by BIG Hifi chain store in Tokyo - i think it is an adaptation of the iM50 with tuning done specially for BIG, Flatter bass - but still good and with impact, flatter mids, and slightly more refined treble. I swopped the cable (with the stupid Iphone microphone) with a better 6n OCC cable - sounds so much more refined and clear)

So I bought the IM50 and the BKS77.

IM70 is more balanced. Try that and if you cannot try before you buy, stick with the IM50 - you can always download the iAudiogate music player which has a very good neutral sound, transparent (it can do up to 24/192kHz as well as DSD64, and DSD128 if you have a matching DAC - I use the iDSD Micro with the Canon camera kit and Apple 6plus to upconvert to higher than 44.1 or 48 and up to DSD)

The above is of course for my tastes. I don't think you can find the BKS77 outside of Japan but IM50 is not expensive so go for it. Or by the way I struggled with the Logitech UE-900 for a entire year, Just could not get the sound signature to suit my tastes and then the plastic case came apart at the joint. Piece of US400 Crap!
Audio Technica is not audio jewelry like many other audiophile brands but is rugged well built and sounds 'commercially pleasant'.

I leave my serious listening to my Senn HD800 and Hifi man HE560 on my home set. 
Have fun
Kelvin

E70 bass is generally just right with spiral dot tips unless I am on a loud train, in which case I might bump up the low end a few db. It takes EQ very well, and I'd rather have a neutral IEM that can be adapted as necessary. I also got a Null Audio cable which has helped them stay in place (for whatever reason). I don't think there's anything else in the price range that will best it as an all-around performer, although the new EarSonics ES3 looks intriguing, as does the ATH-LS300

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #682 of 1,068
E70 bass is generally just right with spiral dot tips unless I am on a loud train, in which case I might bump up the low end a few db. It takes EQ very well, and I'd rather have a neutral IEM that can be adapted as necessary. I also got a Null Audio cable which has helped them stay in place (for whatever reason). I don't think there's anything else in the price range that will best it as an all-around performer, although the new EarSonics ES3 looks intriguing, as does the ATH-LS300

correct, although the e70 fit is pretty bad, it's still sounds awesome.  I cant help to wonder what they would sound like if i had a really goos seal.  
But the e70 really shines with an eq or amplification.  This is where to me imho it outshines the Angie 2, shure se846 etc...    

However, I might say the Westone UMpro 50 is an upgrade to the e70.

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #686 of 1,068
It seem that e70 stock cable have a better quality than e40 cable, made me curious about how about it compare to an upgrade cable.

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #687 of 1,068
I have the Null Audio Arete and there was no obvious change in sound from stock E70 cable, though I haven't ABd them so there might be slight differences. It does make a big difference for fit and portability, though - I hated the stock cable for those reasons.

Nov 9, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #689 of 1,068
I have the Null Audio Arete and there was no obvious change in sound from stock E70 cable, though I haven't ABd them so there might be slight differences. It does make a big difference for fit and portability, though - I hated the stock cable for those reasons.

Yes the cable is and fit is just awful to me.  Just started to get way too irritating for me constantly fidgeting to get a seal.  I'm upgrading to the westone w80.

Nov 10, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #690 of 1,068
Does anyone know how do these compare with the ATH-M70x? Which ATH-E comes the closest to the lean, tight bass and airy, detailed sound signature of the M70x?

And is any of these brighter / airier than the ATH-IM02?

Thanks a bunch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back