Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
May 6, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #361 of 1,068
comparing e40 to other iems, alpha and delta d2 sounds better imo

I'm sorry, im not as well versed in many IEM brands, what's that?

May 6, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #362 of 1,068
I'm sorry, im not as well versed in many IEM brands, what's that?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/805442/alpha-delta-d2-impressions
head down to this thread and see first page!
beerchug.gif

May 7, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #363 of 1,068
Seems interesting! Will be on the lookout for those...

May 7, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #364 of 1,068
Ok, with my clip zip the E40 behave differently. I knew that the output was different. The bass now is full blown. I'll keep on using them with the zip for now. In the Ibasso it sounded a bit too thin.

May 8, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #365 of 1,068
First post in this forum, and my first review about ATH-E40!
i just bought this ath e40 at local headphone store in indonesia (headfonia store jakarta) 2 days ago, this is the first earphone i bought in my life (i was using the freebies that come in my smartphone box). first newbie impression, its sounds really good, the bass is good and punchy, and the staging is just awesome, but from what i hear, i need more vocal, the bright side. My number 1 problem is the fitting, i cant get it on my ear properly before adjusting it manually evertime for like 5 minutes++, thats the annoying side. I've used the xtra small tips, small tips, but im sticking with SpinFit Medium size for 'better' vocal. And yeah the cable is too long for me (1,2meter is ideal). 
My dap is s7 edge and ipod touch 5th gen, planning on buying budget dac/amp (fiio q1), ive tried to pair it with my e40, and it sounds even better! 

Any tips for the eartips? maybe foam tips, or bi/tri flange tips? thanks head fi

May 11, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #367 of 1,068
First post in this forum, and my first review about ATH-E40!
i just bought this ath e40 at local headphone store in indonesia (headfonia store jakarta) 2 days ago, this is the first earphone i bought in my life (i was using the freebies that come in my smartphone box). first newbie impression, its sounds really good, the bass is good and punchy, and the staging is just awesome, but from what i hear, i need more vocal, the bright side. My number 1 problem is the fitting, i cant get it on my ear properly before adjusting it manually evertime for like 5 minutes++, thats the annoying side. I've used the xtra small tips, small tips, but im sticking with SpinFit Medium size for 'better' vocal. And yeah the cable is too long for me (1,2meter is ideal). 
My dap is s7 edge and ipod touch 5th gen, planning on buying budget dac/amp (fiio q1), ive tried to pair it with my e40, and it sounds even better! 

Any tips for the eartips? maybe foam tips, or bi/tri flange tips? thanks head fi

Same as you, from Indonesia here... Did you come to the store directly? I see their stock of E-40 always going up and then gone in 2-3 days... Seems people are quite liking them :)
I won't be buying blind, as I'm still quite satisfied with my current dynamic (IM50), after local Jaben store have a demo of it and I see whether it will complement my collection, then I'll take it.
As for tips, AT's stock usually sucks, but Comply (T500, bundled with IM50) doesn't help as its too big for me, SpinFit fit in nicely, though still finicky with seal. I just got a Sony Hybrid, and I quite like it, maybe you should try that one out... Tip rolling is also a journey, try them all take your time looking for the best one man!

May 11, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #368 of 1,068
Yep, i came to headfonia store directly and try various iem under 150$, e40 it is. And actually i bought the last e40 they had haha... They say, the stock is super limited, because they only order like 5-10 e40 each month, idk why.. For the tips, im planning to go there again and try those tips. budget limited, so there are no room for me to buy the wrong tips, hope they have sample to try...

out of topic, how do you describe your Fiio Q1? Im planning to pair it with my e40 and hope for better bright side and clarity.

May 11, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #369 of 1,068
Yep, i came to headfonia store directly and try various iem under 150$, e40 it is. And actually i bought the last e40 they had haha... They say, the stock is super limited, because they only order like 5-10 e40 each month, idk why.. For the tips, im planning to go there again and try those tips. budget limited, so there are no room for me to buy the wrong tips, hope they have sample to try...

out of topic, how do you describe your Fiio Q1? Im planning to pair it with my e40 and hope for better bright side and clarity.
It's neutral, with only veery slight hint of warmth. Comparing it with my Lumia and Vaio headphone out increased clarity, soundstage and headroom for demanding headphone (demoed an R70x, high gain pot on 3rd, was underpowered before) instantly felt. An Insta buy for me.
Its ability to function as headphone amp only from its line out is useful too

The last time I went to Jakarta was on Sunday... And they are closed on weekend T_T even though I want to try a Radius...

May 11, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #370 of 1,068
It's neutral, with only veery slight hint of warmth. Comparing it with my Lumia and Vaio headphone out increased clarity, soundstage and headroom for demanding headphone (demoed an R70x, high gain pot on 3rd, was underpowered before) instantly felt. An Insta buy for me.
Its ability to function as headphone amp only from its line out is useful too

The last time I went to Jakarta was on Sunday... And they are closed on weekend T_T even though I want to try a Radius...

Im planning to use fiio q1 dac to bypass my smartphone internal dac (galaxy s7e exynos), ive tried to pair it before and it sounded even more awesome! I'll try it again someday...
Yeah they are closed on Sunday, you can see on their website at "Tentang Kami". 
last time i went there with my friend, he bought a radius hp-nhr 21, it is quite good actually, but i still prefer nhr11 for the musicality and fun, it fits really well unlike e40 
frown.gif

May 12, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #371 of 1,068
I'm still unsuccessfull on finding a free music player that support both USB DAC and folder browsing.. Hiby player just closes, and now barely float using outdated Onkyo Player... ah well, i have M3 for daily driver, so not like I'm desperate.
About radius, I've also recommended one to a friend.. that or if he want to buy my IM50, if E-40 check enough of my boxes, I'd sell it. Hopefully i wont find fit problem, and GL finding tips that'd compliment it :wink:

May 12, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #372 of 1,068
I'm still unsuccessfull on finding a free music player that support both USB DAC and folder browsing.. Hiby player just closes, and now barely float using outdated Onkyo Player... ah well, i have M3 for daily driver, so not like I'm desperate.
About radius, I've also recommended one to a friend.. that or if he want to buy my IM50, if E-40 check enough of my boxes, I'd sell it. Hopefully i wont find fit problem, and GL finding tips that'd compliment it
wink.gif

you can buy poweramp music player just as low as 1$ (12.900 rupiah), it alpha version now support usb dac! 

May 12, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #373 of 1,068
For tips on the E40, I used a lot of Sony Hybrid because it helps to keep the driver inside my ear (like suction). The earphones behave very well with small bore tips (a bit more mid but great). I tried UE 900 tips, also small double flange UE. The triple flange transformed into a double flange tips (cut the top flange) are great right now to keep in. Still like the great sound presentation of the E40. Still love the details on my DX50. In my small clip zip the sound seems a bit congested.

May 12, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #374 of 1,068
Just got myself the ATH-E70 afew days ago. Similar to the scarce reviews found online, I too find the iems alittle more to the bassy side, but you can still hear the mids and treble pretty well. 

The sound stage is also alot wider compared to my older pair of westones um pro 10s. 

I'm currently using the comply ear tips that came with it cos it gives a better seal for me. Very happy with this pair of iems so far. 

May 12, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #375 of 1,068

About radius, I've also recommended one to a friend.. that or if he want to buy my IM50, if E-40 check enough of my boxes, I'd sell it. Hopefully i wont find fit problem, and GL finding tips that'd compliment it :wink:

you can buy poweramp music player just as low as 1$ (12.900 rupiah), it alpha version now support usb dac! 
I'm cheapskate :p and the android device I use eight now is a loan.. Maybe id try it out though.
I have to ask, does the bass on E-40 gravitate more toward sub bass or mid bass? I'm actually looking for an IEM to compliment my collection, and sub bass is one thing lacking on mine, I did find RHA T10 fit the bill, but its too expensive and lower RHA models (MA750, 450, 500s) feels disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back