Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
May 25, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #391 of 1,068
+1 for the E40's. I have the IM70 just now but am looking to buy the E40 when they come in stock at Scan UK, 15th June. From what I've read, these are like a direct upgrade to the IM70, similar sound sig.

definitely. the mids of the e40 is good for the price.

May 25, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #393 of 1,068
Is the E40 a huge step above the IM70? How about the 1More Triple Driver compared tot the E40? Some people in this thread and on Reddit seem to prefer it...

May 25, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #394 of 1,068
Is the E70 actually comparable to the IM03? I really loved the IM03 but could not wear it comfortably
due to the large housing. So I was hoping the E70 would be a possible solution for me..

Edit: Forget it! Tried the E70 during today's lunchbreak in a nearby shop and found out that the E70, although
without a question being a good sounding IEM, for the pricetag it is not the significant upgarde I am looking for compared
to my currently used FAD Heaven V. So for me it is off my list!

May 26, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #395 of 1,068
Just got the E40 and it's very impressive for 99usd. I listen mostly to EDM and alternative rock. The E40 handles all of it extremely well. I'm currently using it with spiral dot tips and my source is a fiio X1 hooked up to jds labs c5 amp with the bass boost on.

I find the E40 very accurate across all the freqs. I was looking for an upgrade to my se215, particularly in the mids and highs. On acoustic rock tracks, the E40 does so much better in terms of details and accuracy. Somehow on the se215, the mids and highs are just not as refined. Bass reaches down low and strong quite similar to the se215 but the difference is that it is tighter and more controlled. The last time I heard bass this good was in a se846!

I also had the chance to try the E70. I found it to be sterile and analytical. I wouldn't buy it at its current price though. But it's still a very capable IEM nonetheless.

In conclusion I would say the E40 sounds just like my HD25-1 except with more solid bass. The spiral tips does expand the soundstage a little but the stock tips are not that bad either.

Can't wait for aftermarket cables to be release too, not really a fan of the memory wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 26, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #396 of 1,068
Just got the E40 and it's very impressive for 99usd. I listen mostly to EDM and alternative rock. The E40 handles all of it extremely well. I'm currently using it with spiral dot tips and my source is a fiio X1 hooked up to jds labs c5 amp with the bass boost on.

I find the E40 very accurate across all the freqs. I was looking for an upgrade to my se215, particularly in the mids and highs. On acoustic rock tracks, the E40 does so much better in terms of details and accuracy. Somehow on the se215, the mids and highs are just not as refined. Bass reaches down low and strong quite similar to the se215 but the difference is that it is tighter and more controlled. The last time I heard bass this good was in a se846!

I also had the chance to try the E70. I found it to be sterile and analytical. I wouldn't buy it at its current price though. But it's still a very capable IEM nonetheless.

In conclusion I would say the E40 sounds just like my HD25-1 except with more solid bass. The spiral tips does expand the soundstage a little but the stock tips are not that bad either.

Can't wait for aftermarket cables to be release too, not really a fan of the memory wire.

yes the mids are solid

May 26, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #397 of 1,068
I also had the chance to try the E70. I found it to be sterile and analytical. 

Which is not necessarily a bad thing. I like the E70. But as mentioned, they are not that kind of upgrade I am looking for at that price point.
Plus you would need to buy an extra cable as I find the 1.60m stock cable troublesome. And if I see correctly it is not a standard MMCX-connection,
so choice of cables will be limited.

May 27, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #398 of 1,068

Which is not necessarily a bad thing. I like the E70. But as mentioned, they are not that kind of upgrade I am looking for at that price point.
Plus you would need to buy an extra cable as I find the 1.60m stock cable troublesome. And if I see correctly it is not a standard MMCX-connection,
so choice of cables will be limited.

yes analytical is the word. I find no joy listening imho
frown.gif

May 27, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #399 of 1,068
May 28, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #401 of 1,068
I would say sterile is like a flat freq response and analytical is how well it presents details and mostly the accuracy.

yeap i would agree on that

May 28, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #403 of 1,068
  Just purchased an E40 from Stereo today. Still as impressed as when I first heard it back then. Stay tuned for impressions!

(BTW, JVC spiral dot tips does wonders for this IEM. The sound is too amazing with these tips on!)

its really a nice iem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back