Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Apr 30, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #348 of 1,068
Oh, I thought you had ordered somewhere else after that. Waiting sucks 
frown.gif

May 4, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #350 of 1,068
well these ath iems are quite disappointing for the price except e40

May 4, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #353 of 1,068
My second day with the ATH-E40 and I can hear them as flat with some bump up in the mids. They don't over exagerate the bass, if your track as sub, you will hear it and present it without overpowering. You'll hear each note of bass really well too. The mid was a bit dry at first, but now im accustomed by it. The seperation of each sound is great and it's so clear and yeah the soundstage is really great. They really are a great iem for vocal music because of the mids.

The most difficult thing about them is the fit. With a bit of trial and errors and tip rolling, I can now stand them. I flipped each driver around (the left in the right and the right in the left) and with sony hybrids they are great (even with original tips). I can feel them in my north american big ears and they are not close inside my ear, but in the original positionning, they were always slipping a bit.

Also, the sony hybrids tends to give a bit of bass and soften the mids a bit.

They are sensitive with my ibasso DX50, and there is bit of background noise, but not that it will derange anything. Like a small shhhh.

In my Macbook pro, the sound is very clean and large. In my Iphone 5S, the mids are a bit too much.

Im thinking maybe a new dap with a clean output for them.

My evaluation is for about a 5 hrs play.

May 4, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #354 of 1,068
I just got the e-40's. Right out of the box I could tell that they sound much clearer then the im50. After just 5 hours burn in I am shocked at the amount of detail I can hear in my music. I have been using Akg 545 headphones for over a year but these little Jena are leagues better. In stead of just hear my music on left and right, with the e-40's I feel like I'm sitting in the middle of the band as they play all around me. I did have issues with fit at first but I switched the tips to the Sony tips and got much better seal and now they are comfortable

May 5, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #355 of 1,068
Hi gang,

My third day with the E40s and here are my observations using my ageing pair of Sony MDR-XB90EX for comparison.

Player: Samsung S7
File format: MP3

Pros:
-The E40 sounds brighter with more details. The XB90EX sounds muddy compared to the E40, 
-The E40's bass has more punch and sounds less boomy than the XB90EX.

Cons:
-The microphnics are bad even after getting the memory cable fitted nicely over my ears. It sounds like I'm wearing a pair of stethoscope when no music is playing.
-The wires are a bit long for me. I'm only 1.7m in height.

Could be better if I can get a shorter cable with better microphonic shielding. 

May 5, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #356 of 1,068
Tell me all about it... thinking about the E-40 for my upgrade after my IM50, which is my daily driver. Sad that the cable is similar with IM series (mine broke, both channels, unfixable due to sweat (I sweat like a pig even when I just walk around.. make the cable near the driver hardens, so decided to re cable the whole thing by using the connectors of the old one.) I really need to make cleaning the cable as a habit if I ever decide to buy E-40..

May 5, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #357 of 1,068
Yeah the cable is a good cable for a 'at home' earphone, wich isn't the case for the E40! I feel that i'm travelling a lamp electrical cable with me. I'll look forward to cable upgrade...

For the sound, I feel that I want a bit more lower mid in the sound, I don't know, it's my third day now. I'm still addict. My Audiofly Af-140 sound muffled in comparison, and everything was distant. 

First day in the commute was ok. The sound is THERE, but so well presented, that even if the isolation is so-so, you get everything clear, without efforts.

Ah one thing, 12 ohm, but still power hungry! My Dap was down almost a the middle of the day... Mmmh, ill do some more testing on that.

May 5, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #358 of 1,068
You sure about that? I hear that it's about as efficient as IM50/70, and that one I've compared to few IEM's are even more efficient than most, using my Q1, I only need 2-2.5 on the pot 3 max, others I've tried need around 3.5-3.5, 4 is usually deafening for IEM, and what I use my M40x at regular volume at.

How loud do you listen to your music? And I must ask, compared to IMx0's ported design, is the Isolation much better?

My XBA100 just came... can't wait to get back home and open it up...   

May 5, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #359 of 1,068
i'm using the DX50 at low setting. In the commute I can go up to 200, at home almost at 160-180. For me it's a OK level. I have a sensitive hearing too. I think I'll get a better DAP-AMP... On the iphone, it don't needs to much volume to get loud. I'll try on my Sansa clip too. to be continued.

May 5, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #360 of 1,068
  You sure about that? I hear that it's about as efficient as IM50/70, and that one I've compared to few IEM's are even more efficient than most, using my Q1, I only need 2-2.5 on the pot 3 max, others I've tried need around 3.5-3.5, 4 is usually deafening for IEM, and what I use my M40x at regular volume at.

How loud do you listen to your music? And I must ask, compared to IMx0's ported design, is the Isolation much better?

My XBA100 just came... can't wait to get back home and open it up...   

comparing e40 to other iems, alpha and delta d2 sounds better imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back