Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Mar 24, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #202 of 1,068
Pre-ordered the e40s, and I want to get some comply tips for working out, does anyone know what type/size will fit the tube? Comply does not have them in their database yet, but I'm assuming someone has tried them already.

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #203 of 1,068
Just ordered the E40's...I almost bought the E50's, the description of them mentioning that they are smaller made me really interested.  But the price tag, and the higher impedence scared me away.  (I mostly plan to use them from a FiiO M3 which doesn't have a very high output) I've had bad luck with portable IEM headphones that suddenly stop working after a while.  I do like that the cord is replaceable, hopefully that can help mitigate that...and that the cord is not super expensive.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #204 of 1,068
How is the E40 bass quantity compared to SE215? I'm curious because I owned the IM50 but I've sold it because the bass was a bit much and (or) punchy for me compared to my Shure (also I couldn't had a good seal one of my ears cause of the long ang thick nozzle). Is the E40 more agressive? Oh, and I have bigger ears, somebody who tried it, please write down how good/bad was the fit. Thanks!

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #205 of 1,068
Is the E40 more agressive? Oh, and I have bigger ears, somebody who tried it, please write down how good/bad was the fit. Thanks!

The bass of the E40 is actually better than the IM50, quality wise. Maybe it's just me, I also find the bass to be more overwhelming as well.

As someone who is really picky on the fitting, they are really big, but acceptable with the medium tips. If you have big ears, I don't see why the E40 don't fit you.

Mar 24, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #206 of 1,068
Unless change with burn in is drastic, these are headed back. Not cofortable, hate flat cables (petty, i know), but i dont see these doing anything better than my trinity atlas, except bigger stage.

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #207 of 1,068
So I put the IEMs with the right in my left ear and the left in my right ear and the fit was sublime, really like the sound straight out of the box.  Strange about the orientation though, maybe an error in the production process?  Anyway, if the fit is not working for you at all, try this method as it seems like they were designed to be worn this way 

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #208 of 1,068
A pic if possible would be nice. Looking at images that flip mod(used to do it with the UE phones) puts the cable connector down lower...

Normal way looks pretty high there so a flip over to the other side would make it 3/4 of an inch lower and forward a bit more. I can see it working well that way. Should, like the UE flip mod, have some slight effect on the stage/presentation. Though best tested with someone who can use them well both ways. Obviously may sound better if fit is much better one way more than the other.

Mar 24, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #209 of 1,068
actually, I went back to the normal alignment and I finally think I figured out how to wear them properly.  For me, they don't insert very deeply compared to other IEMs I have used which is why it is taking me longer to get the fit right.  For me with the proper seal they sound similar to the IM70 which I loved however the E40s have a little less mid-bass (which is a good thing IMO) and a bit more of a sub bass impact.  Furthermore, I am noticed less sibilance (which the IM70s were quite good at), less microfonics, and much better isolation.  The fit will take some time for me to get used to for extended periods of time but I think these are a winner

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #210 of 1,068
If e40 have more bass than im70 then definitely not my cup of tea.yesterday found 1more triple driver earphones on aliexpress for usd99,looks good and sounds marvelous for the price according to reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back