Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Mar 22, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #181 of 1,068
Their stock tips are actually pretty good on their own. The large ones if I am correct, worked on the DN-2000 pretty well for some time, in my experience. Like what you've said though; it's just the designs that lead to the ergonomics of some of the AT in-ears that did it to some in the end, in my opinion.

Looking forward to test them out, anyways.
yeah I am also using large one on my ex1

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #182 of 1,068
Yeah, I've almost never used AT tips with AT inears but they're useful to have around.

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #184 of 1,068
Mar 22, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #186 of 1,068
I actually find the AT tips fine
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #187 of 1,068
Do E40&50 have similar cable with IM series?
My IM50 cable have to be reconnected, the connection on where the malleable-nubs-normal cable, the one between the nubs and the cable is quite vulnerable with disconnection. Left one just came off after few days of bad connection, recable it, been few weeks now, the right one are now starting to have bad connection, sometimes sound doesn't come out when I turn my head. It seems to be because i used to use a hard case too small for it, though it fits, its a bit a bit snug. Discouraging, but I plan to buy FAD Heaven II when I have it fixed, so I'm alright. Will be waiting for E40, but a demo first is a must for me.

Mar 23, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #189 of 1,068
Went to tried out the E-series and I can confirm that the cables for the E-series will definitely not fit the IM-series, for the curious. The fit of all the three models with the stock tips wasn't that bad at all, in my brief experiences.

Soundwise, to be honest, there is nothing much for me to say besides that the E40 had way too forward and coloured mids for my preference, the E50 (wasn't too bad actually, just that maybe amping them up could have make a difference, I guess) and E70 (did have a very appealing tuning for me, but didn't have the extension that I want in a pair of three BA in-ears) were just underwhelming for me, considering their price tags. 

Despite whatever I have said, I personally liked the E70 the most and I can see the appeal of the E40 to most, in my opinion.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #190 of 1,068
Went to tried out the E-series and I can confirm that the cables for the E-series will definitely not fit the IM-series, for the curious. The fit of all the three models with the stock tips wasn't that bad at all, in my brief experiences.

Soundwise, to be honest, there is nothing much for me to say besides that the E40 had way too forward and coloured mids for my preference, the E50 (wasn't too bad actually, just that maybe amping them up could have make a difference, I guess) and E70 (did have a very appealing tuning for me, but didn't have the extension that I want in a pair of three BA in-ears) were just underwhelming for me, considering their price tags. 

Despite whatever I have said, I personally liked the E70 the most and I can see the appeal of the E40 to most, in my opinion.
e40 or im70?

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #194 of 1,068
How about e50?

If I have to choose between the E50 and the IM02 for portable use only, I would rather take the IM02 as the E50 were honestly not really special in any area, in my opinion. One thing I can say about the E50 is that the bass were actually pretty much the same as the E70, but the E70 are like E50 but tuned to another different level, obviously. Once again, the E50 were not too bad, just don't expect them to sound something like the ER4S.
Can i eq it to my liking?

I personally don't EQ anymore, but I think that like any other in-ears, the E40 can be EQed to your liking, in my experience with some messing around with EQ with some of my in-ears in the past.

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #195 of 1,068
Can i eq the e40 to my liking?

How about e50?

Source is important. What sources are you guys using! Personally speaking, the pairing with the dx80 from ibasso, the sq is good and separation becomes better!
e40 is more musical and fun to listen but very source dependent.
e50 is your standard ba iem, nothing impressive.
e70 is technical, its performance is the best out of the entire e series but the price is not justified as there are better options elsewhere. It has excellent details retrieval but falls short of the soundstage and separation expected from a 3 BA iem. It is not fatiguing and does not have the colored mids like e40. Upper mids are less toned down as compared to the e40. Quite balanced in a sense.
Hope that helps!
my personal take
e40 > e70 > e50 based on sound signature on the forwardness
e70 > e40 > e50 based on technical performance
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back