Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Mar 11, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #76 of 1,068
Does anybody know whether the "L" tips of these will be larger than those of the ATH-IM series?

Exactly the same my friend. No worries! Audio Technica hasn't changed the tips since many years.

Mar 11, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #77 of 1,068

Does anybody know whether the "L" tips of these will be larger than those of the ATH-IM series?

Exactly the same my friend. No worries! Audio Technica hasn't changed the tips since many years.

Bummer. I'd need larger tips for my newly imported ATH-IM03 and as tip rolling is eeeeevviiiiiiil (at least in my book), I was hoping that the new models had a slightly larger L size. Will looks for something larger that has the same inner diameter, shape and length, but so far I have only found either similarly sized or slightly different (in terms of stem proportions) tips here in my headphone room. Sigh - if either the nozzle was a bit longer or the tips somewhat larger, I wouldn't need to fiddle to get a good seal and wouldn't have to keep a stiff face without emotions then.

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #79 of 1,068
Bummer. I'd need larger tips for my newly imported ATH-IM03 and as tip rolling is eeeeevviiiiiiil (at least in my book), I was hoping that the new models had a slightly larger L size. Will looks for something larger that has the same inner diameter, shape and length, but so far I have only found either similarly sized or slightly different (in terms of stem proportions) tips here in my headphone room. Sigh - if either the nozzle was a bit longer or the tips somewhat larger, I wouldn't need to fiddle to get a good seal and wouldn't have to keep a stiff face without emotions then.

Try KZ Whirlwind tips. They are larger than IM series tips.

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #80 of 1,068

Try KZ Whirlwind tips. They are larger than IM series tips.

Nah, when I'm saying similar, I really mean exactly similar looking, from the shape of the stem that faces towards the IEM to the inner tube diameter, material softness and colour. Yes, I am that drastic in this regard and am no tip-roller ("other tips than those the manufacturer included are nothing I will be using for listening" is my attitude). Guess I'll keep searching, so that I can just put my IM03 in without having to fiddle to get a seal right from the start.

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #81 of 1,068
Nah, when I'm saying similar, I really mean exactly similar looking, from the shape of the stem that faces towards the IEM to the inner tube diameter, material softness and colour. Yes, I am that drastic in this regard and am no tip-roller ("other tips than those the manufacturer included are nothing I will be using for listening" is my attitude). Guess I'll keep searching, so that I can just put my IM03 in without having to fiddle to get a seal right from the start.

Good luck!

Mar 13, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #82 of 1,068
Hello! Relatively new to the audiophile world, and simply put, found out about the Trinity line of IEMs here, and am now looking at which is, well, better. Currently considering the Audio Technica E40, the Trinity Atlas, and the Trinity Phantom Sabre. Any thoughts or opinions? I'm currently using a Fischer Omega Twins, and before this, an ATH IM-50. Open to any suggestions! But of course within a reasonabke price as I have a budget

Mar 13, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #83 of 1,068
Hello! Relatively new to the audiophile world, and simply put, found out about the Trinity line of IEMs here, and am now looking at which is, well, better. Currently considering the Audio Technica E40, the Trinity Atlas, and the Trinity Phantom Sabre. Any thoughts or opinions? I'm currently using a Fischer Omega Twins, and before this, an ATH IM-50. Open to any suggestions! But of course within a reasonabke price as I have a budget
And how much is the budget exactly? I'm thinking less than $150?

Mar 17, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #85 of 1,068
U.S. E40 is out people!

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #86 of 1,068

If you really want bang for your buck, nothing beats China iems
Try lz a3 - 168 usd, but you can get discount codes from twin, a head fi member.

Mar 18, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #87 of 1,068
If you really want bang for your buck, nothing beats China iems
Try lz a3 - 168 usd, but you can get discount codes from twin, a head fi member.

They haven't been compared to each other for sound but either of those Trinity options are worse bang for buck in what way?? Have you seen the Sabre's price and what it comes with??

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #88 of 1,068
So I heard the E70 and E40 again. This time around I was much more impressed by the E70. For some reason, this E70 sounded quite different to the one I heard at Canjam. This E70 was more impressive - it had incredible bass extension and impact. The bass was visceral, powerful and fun - yet extremely controlled with no hint of bloat. I have never heard bass this good coming from a BA driver. And while the bass was strong, it did not overpower the mids, which were relatively uncolored with a pinch of warmth and still had amazing detail and transparency. It did not possess the AT house signature here, instead going for a neutral/reference tuning that's not analytical. The sound as a whole was extremely coherent, refined and musical. It might be the most well-tuned Audio Technica IEM I've ever heard, worthy of the reference moniker.

As for the E40, when I heard it again I did find some deficiencies compared to the higher-end CKR models. The E40 was slightly less refined, and the highs were a little grainier, maybe harsher. It also had a slightly smaller soundstage compared to CKR9/LTD. However, it did not lose to the CKRs in terms of dynamics, speed and musicality. It had more forwardness than all the CKRs, perfect if you want unrestrained intimacy. Still an immensely enjoyable listen and a perfect gateway to the Push-Pull driver sound. Don't let its small shortcomings to the CKRs discourage you; for the price it is an incredible bargain and unmatched for what it offers.

Mar 18, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #89 of 1,068
You need to swap cables and tell us what happens to the E70 and e40 :) just how much of a bottleneck the cheaper cable is. Probably the reason for less refinement. 

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #90 of 1,068
You need to swap cables and tell us what happens to the E70 and e40 :) just how much of a bottleneck the cheaper cable is. Probably the reason for less refinement. 
The E40 has similar cable with with the IM line right? I dont think it's a bad cable at all considering it's used on all IM models with little to no demerit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back