Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Mar 18, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #91 of 1,068
Well the E70 has a better cable and quite a few of the IM aftermarket cables are better. Even AT sells the AT-HDC5 which is better than the standard HDC1. Pretty sure if you swap the E70 cable with the E40 cable they will sound a decent bit better and not sound less refined than the CKR's.

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #92 of 1,068
Well the E70 has a better cable and quite a few of the IM aftermarket cables are better. Even AT sells the AT-HDC5 which is better than the standard HDC1. Pretty sure if you swap the E70 cable with the E40 cable they will sound a decent bit better and not sound less refined than the CKR's.
we won't know until somebody try to do it :)

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #93 of 1,068
  You need to swap cables and tell us what happens to the E70 and e40 :) just how much of a bottleneck the cheaper cable is. Probably the reason for less refinement. 

I would do that, but unfortunately there is no way for me to test them again until they are officially released. :frowning2: Should be coming very soon though. I'll give the swapping cables a try once they are available.

Mar 19, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #94 of 1,068
  So I heard the E70 and E40 again. This time around I was much more impressed by the E70. For some reason, this E70 sounded quite different to the one I heard at Canjam. This E70 was more impressive - it had incredible bass extension and impact. The bass was visceral, powerful and fun - yet extremely controlled with no hint of bloat. I have never heard bass this good coming from a BA driver. And while the bass was strong, it did not overpower the mids, which were relatively uncolored with a pinch of warmth and still had amazing detail and transparency. It did not possess the AT house signature here, instead going for a neutral/reference tuning that's not analytical. The sound as a whole was extremely coherent, refined and musical. It might be the most well-tuned Audio Technica IEM I've ever heard, worthy of the reference moniker.

As for the E40, when I heard it again I did find some deficiencies compared to the higher-end CKR models. The E40 was slightly less refined, and the highs were a little grainier, maybe harsher. It also had a slightly smaller soundstage compared to CKR9/LTD. However, it did not lose to the CKRs in terms of dynamics, speed and musicality. It had more forwardness than all the CKRs, perfect if you want unrestrained intimacy. Still an immensely enjoyable listen and a perfect gateway to the Push-Pull driver sound. Don't let its small shortcomings to the CKRs discourage you; for the price it is an incredible bargain and unmatched for what it offers.

How does E40 compare with CKS1100? Thanks.

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #96 of 1,068
Sorry, it's been too long since I last heard the CKS1100 so I can't give a precise comparison here. All I can say is I much preferred the E40 over the CKS1100, and if given a choice between those two I would pick the E40 every time.
how is e40s soundstage and treble compared to im70.I returned my im70 because of that rolled back highs.

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #103 of 1,068
  Oops sorry i was confuse from previous models IM70 thought to E70.. lol

Yes i was agreed that newer design be the far better than previous.

It sin;t exactly that new isn't it? as dual Push-Pull already used in some other AT" IEM like CKR9, CKR10 and WS110... all seem to perform better than Symphonic driver of IM50/70 it seems.

Mar 20, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #105 of 1,068
currently I have ex1(titan1) and I like it very much but not good for travelling,so I am looking for e40 to fit that purpose.can you compare them both.

I have only heard the Titan 1 very briefly, but generally the E40 have more forward bass and mids, but less air and smaller soundstage compared to Titan 1. The E40 will isolate much better than Titan. So it depends on your preference, whether you want a forward sound with isolation or a laid back sound with less isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back