Audio Technica ATH-CKW1000: Through the Ages
May 29, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #16 of 43
I would not necessarily say it has more bass than the CK100 solely because of the wooden housing (even though this may seem like a trend for portable headphones like the ESW9)

The bass is probably due to the dynamic driver (consider the size) being used by AT and has also been tuned/tweaked for a particular warm and lush sonic signature.

May 29, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #17 of 43
Deleted, wrong thread.

May 30, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #18 of 43
Quote:
Then it should be close to or the same sound sig as the ATH-CKW1000, as both share the same drivers, correct? 

If you are referring to the CK100? No, they have a different driver configuration. CK100 has triple BA's whereas CKW1000 has one dynamic driver

May 30, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #19 of 43
Sorry, thought I was posting in a different thread.

May 31, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #20 of 43
Getting back to the subject at hand, it would be nice to see a head to head comparison between the CKW1000 with the other current big player from Audio  Technica, the [size=small]CK100PRO.[/size]

[size=small]The [/size][size=small]CK100PRO, from another review, seems to have better bass and general SQ overall then the [/size][size=small]CK100.[/size]

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #21 of 43
Yes, I would be interested in a direct comparison as well. From what I've been reading the CK100pro leans towards the CK10 sound.

I was going to buy a CK100pro for the purpose of doing a direct comparison, but i ended up buying the Heir Audio 8.A instead XD

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #22 of 43
I have a pair of ck10's that I really enjoyed the high end from but was always disappointed with the low end. Will sell these.
The CK100Pro does seem to have remedied that from a review I read here on Head-fi. Or at least that is my take.

Just picked up a pair of the CK100Pro's off of ebay, so I'll find out for myself.

Still, very much interested in reading more about the ckw1000 or the ckm1000 for that matter. I think I read somewhere that they are one and the same except for the wood casings, whih really do not alter the sound from one to the other.
The ckm1000 seems to be more affordable. 

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #23 of 43
Yea, a comparison with the CKM1000 is a long time coming lol. the housing of the CKW1000 is actually titanium, only a small bit of it is wooden. I'm wondering whether the drivers have been tweaked though.

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #24 of 43
Had the ckm1000 just sold them! Loved the sound but isolation just wasnt enough for me since i used them mostly on the go.

Demoed both ckw and ckm and preferred ckm. Ckw definitely has more wow factor from my recollection. Bassier, smoother, a very likable signature. But to me the ckw sounded more balanced, and clearer especially in the treble, more like the ckm99 but smoother and more extended, while the ckw was more lush like the ie8

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #25 of 43
Quote:
But to me the ckw sounded more balanced, and clearer especially in the treble, more like the ckm99 but smoother and more extended, while the ckw was more lush like the ie8

You mean the CKM sounded more balanced. Correct?

Jun 2, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #26 of 43
Yes, it was definitely the more analytical sounding of the two.

Ckw100 reminded me of ie8 and fx700 very dynamic, bassy presentation, not as laid back as ie8 but not quite as aggressive as the fx700

The ckm is a bit edgier on the treble, but sounded more balanced and extended to me overall. I actually think the ckw might be the easier to like for many people of the two as it has a lush and immediately leasing signature, drawing you to its supple low end.

When i demoed both it was th ckw that grabbed me more at first, but after a more detailed listening session, i felt the ckm suited my preferences more, which are usually toward more detailed BA earphones.

Both are great though, and if you were a fan of ckm99, ckm1000 is a clear upgrade, reminds me a bit of se425/535 difference, the latter just sounding more airy and extended at both ends.

I also managed to listen to the ckm500 the other day, and was thinking of picking them up after all the hype that they were superior to the ckm99. Their signature is more towards the ckw1000, lush and smooth with a great low end, but lacking in detail imho.

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #27 of 43
If I may add, that traditionally all the wooden series of audio technica typically have a warm sound signature compared to their "metal" brothers. Details are less of a focus point compared to the overall presentation of the sound.

Still, thats why I couldn't say that these were better than the CK100 or vice versa, they are really trying to do different things
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #29 of 43
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]I would like to know this as well. I find the ex1000's to have great soundstage, good bass ( get a good copy) nice instrument separation and detail retrieval. But I found the sound a bit cold and analytical. Just a tad mind you, they do sound fantastic with monster foam tips. How do the ckw1000anv or ckm1000 sound in comparison? Are they as good with bass, soundstage, and detail retrieval/highs?

Dec 6, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #30 of 43
The CKW1000ANV has WAYY more bass, while the ex1000's bass is'nt boosted at all. They both a very realistic 3D-Soundstage: Wide, good depth and instrument separation.
The Sony's stage is still much wider, in fact, its the best I have heard and  easily compares to open fullsize cans.
I think the CKW1000ANV has a bit more resolution, but the ex1000 sounds more accurate due to the flatter frequency line.
Both have annyoing treble though. The ex1000 can get really shrill, especially at semi-loud volume it pierces my ears. Hi-Hats are impossible to endure for me..
Whereas the Audio-Technica can get quite sibilant.. I dont mind that though.
Isolation is both mediocre.

Would love to try the CKM1000(hope they have the same good driver) or the NEW CKS1000. Really liking the CKW1000ANV so far, in fact it holds it's position as my favoure IEM/headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back