Audio-Technica ATH-CKS1100 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 1, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #151 of 157
I use them with a Fiio X1 and those aftermarket Tips
https://www.amazon.de/IN%CE%9BIRS-AIR2-Ohrpolster-Gemacht-ver%C3%A4ndern/dp/B00THKPQGM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483301409&sr=8-1&keywords=inairs+air2

IMO definitive better Sealing and fit than Complys
Makes those Babys even more Bass Textured

May 8, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #152 of 157
PicsArt_05-06-09.37.56.jpg
PicsArt_05-08-08.13.28.jpg

The CKS1100 has powerful sub-frequencies, clear mid frequencies and non-tiring high frequencies.

Metal is very good in music.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #155 of 157
recent loss of my workhorse um3x has awaken the demon inside me.
even after getting pai audio mr3 which is more than meets my need, I went ahead and bought cks-1100is.
I'll just jot it down as momentary lapse of judgement, though USD 75-price tag kinda soften the blow.

Only just been using it for a while, I feel the bass overpowers the rest of the spectrum.
not slow and bloated kind of bass though.
let's see if it'll mellow down a bit.
no denying that these are fun earphones.
listening to pop are really enjoyable with these.

Jul 10, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #156 of 157
Just got these, they are still very popular in South East Asia and Japan markets. Usually go for 110-130 usd in likenew, fullbox condition.
Have to say, the fit is finnicky, in that even when sitting 'nicely' in your ears they would never be too secure.

Onto sound impressions: This is a classic, old-school V-shaped fun set that is very unlike modern, sub-bass focused U shape that has been popular in the last 5 years or so.

Details/resolution: The highs, while back then may high been simply classified as non-fatiguing yet present, definitely fall behind modern standards in terms of resolution. The details do not come through as clear as similarly bass lifted IEM like Ikko OH10, Sony N1, TFZ Tequila Pro. It is non-fatiguing indeed, but sound dark to me. Could use a bit more sparkle and also extension. The mids are not too recessed, they are heard very clearly in terms of volume, but yet again it just sounds muffled - tell the midbass is so strong at the cost of mids.

BASS! What makes this set unique is the MIDBASS. In fact, the sub-bass is rolled off compared to the modern U shaped basshead sets. The midbass punches very, very hard.
  • Combined with the heavy build and unique fit, the midbass has this feeling of being contained 'within the sound' only, there is no physical 'vibration' or 'rumble' of the IEM itself. This is hard to describe, but imagine a pair of overears, you can feel the DD vibrate when touching the cup. Most other IEMs, while you can't feel it vibrate with your fingers, still create this mental image. With these, the midbass is clearly felt as the air attacking your eardrums, and it is so, so uniquely satisfying.
  • The bass while always lifted, reaches super Super Saiyan levels at high volumes. The laid back highs come into play here - they allow you to turn this IEM up really loud without fatiguing. As sub-bass is relatively rolled, there is also no tiring levels of rumbling that some IEMs suffer from - for example Ikko OH10 would always reveal some rumbling elements in every song I listen to (EDM, Punk, post-hardcore, Pop) and it gets fatiguing eventually.
  • The bass is always lifted, but reaches super Super Saiyan levels at high volumes. The laid back highs come into play here - they allow you to turn this IEM up really loud without fatiguing. As sub-bass is relatively rolled off, there is also no tiring levels of rumbling that some IEMs suffer from - for example Ikko OH10 would always reveal some rumbling elements in every song I listen to (EDM, Punk, post-hardcore, Pop) and it gets fatiguing eventually.
  • The mids actually become more present at higher volumes and 'succesfully' fight back against the bass. This is near uncomfortable levels for most though.
  • The bass on CKS1100, when not called upon, just makes the sound warm and tube-like. But when the midbass kicks in, it is a sudden punch/kick with an extemely unique decay (neither fast nor slow, but feels Layered, this is the only IEM i can think of that does this), which is probably attributed to the Dual DD design.
Overall, if you enjoy a real testosterone and adrenaline inducing kick out of the midbass, this is very likely one of the best <$200 sets to do this. While this is subjective, I am at the very least you would be intrigued by the overall bass presentation, even if it ends up not fitting your preferences.
The impressions were also referencing (as baseline): Ikko OH10, Kbear Ink, TFZ Tequila Pro, Fiio FD5, Whizzer HE01B - these are owned and used in daily rotation. Few others I borrow from others here and there, but should be enough to know what decent bass is.

Sources: Shanling M7 & M3X via Acrolink A2DC cable that came with it. Supposedly a $100 cable, got lucky.

Jul 16, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #157 of 157
Had these for a couple years now, it's still the iem that satisfies my craving for an audio technica mids I own. That and coupled with the bass make it the most complete set for me, something my IM02 and IM04 can't do, the e40 is too digital sounding for music listening also, so this and AD1000x is my Guilty pleasure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back