Audio-Technica ATH-CKS1100 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 12, 2015 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 157

yellowbirdfly

Previously known as lalala6
Audio-Technica recently refreshed the entire lineup of Solid Bass products, but of particular interest is their new flagship IEM in the series, the ATH-CKS1100. It uses 'Dual Phase Push-Pull Drivers', which is the same technology used in the CKR9, CKR9LTD and CKR10 known for having great bass. Also, unlike the previous flagship CKS1000, it now has detachable cables.

Features (via Google Translate):
  1. Dual-phase push-pull driver 
    face-to-face in two groups place the φ12.5mm driver. magnetic force in the two magnets to face the by increasing dramatically to play the heavy bass. In addition, two of the diaphragm to do the tuning the linear drive (before and after the linear motion) is to suppress the intermodulation to the limit, to reproduce the sound with no distortion to brilliance. In front of the diaphragm, it adopted a DLC (diamond-like carbon) coating to improve the high-frequency characteristics have a high hardness close to diamond. It has achieved a high-resolution reproduction of a wide range of bandwidth.
  2. Dual airflow based venting system 
    to the driver characteristics best position according to the place two vent (air hole), dense spring of the air inside the housing is controlled. Stainless steel of the acoustic resistance material also be in the incorporation, and reduce the load on the diaphragm, while increasing the output of the bass efficiently, leading to a reproduced sound with excellent response.
  3. It adopted the hard-line cutting solid aluminum enclosure. 
    Suppressing the resonance of the housing transmitted from the powerful drive of large diameter drivers, and reduce unnecessary sound distortion. It will play the mid-high range with growth.
  4. CKS1100 dedicated 1.2m detachable cord. 
    Adopt A2DC connector and L / Rch independent stack card strands of audio-only design, we increase the resistance and maintenance of the noise.

Specifications:
Type: Dynamic
Driver Diameter: 12.5mm × 2
Sensitivity: 110dB / mW
Frequency Response: 5 ~ 40,000Hz
Maximum Input Power: 200mW
Impedance: 12Ω
Weight (excluding cable): About 14g
Input terminal: A2DC connector jack

https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=2768

Other newly announced Solid Bass IEMs

Oct 12, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #2 of 157
Translated first impression from AV Watch:
In recital venue, it was listen in combination with a high-resolution portable players "AK380".

There is only SOLID BASS series, but powerful low-frequency features that sinks deep, it's impressive that a very wide sound field compared to conventional SOLID BASS earphones. The model of up to now and say either, but sound field was narrowed in order to up the force, CKS1100 is feeling the wide space a feeling of opening, so powerful in taste low-frequency, bass can enjoy good feeling .

A mid-high range is clarity, it is also not to be obscured by the overhang of the low frequency range. If you listen to the impression that "earphones series bass insist Dondoko", you will be surprised in a very orthodox sound in a good way. People who likes the sound of pure balance emphasis also is worth listen to one, has finished in the high potential earphones.

I guess they are saying that the CKS1100 has a powerful bass that reaches deep, a very wide soundstage, and clear mids and highs that are unobscured by the bass. Apparently it has a very balanced sound, unlike conventional basshead phones.

Already liking the description... If they can do bass even better than the CKRs, I'm all in.

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 157
Translated first impression from AV Watch:
I guess they are saying that the CKS1100 has a powerful bass that reaches deep, a very wide soundstage, and clear mids and highs that are unobscured by the bass. Apparently it has a very balanced sound, unlike conventional basshead phones.

Already liking the description... If they can do bass even better than the CKRs, I'm all in.

I would think that their balance will be good though may be a bit exaggerated in that case pairing with an AK380. Will still be influenced by the source and some may find more or less of a bass emphasis. I'd think I'd be good with the 770C and Lanhui E109 in my stable of players. Seriously thinking of grabbing a pair of these. I also know the bass on my LTD's didn't come out to play totally until after some run in and with potentially stiffer DLC coating they may not loosen up and move air optimally for a bit. I'd like to hear longer term impressions.

Think they rated them the same as my LTD's in the F.R. at 5-40,000 but I'd consider it a small fail if in real life these didn't reach at least a bit lower than the CKR9 and 9LTD. The two CKR's are no slouches but their bass just doesn't match the sub-bass reach of the best out there. This is one thing the 1100 should have as a goal though the "Solid Bass" approach is some more balance for the highest model and that type of reach is hard to get while attempting for more balance and not hurting treble and detail resolution.

The 1100 is quite a looker but seems even bigger than the previous top model. Detachable cable is a great addition as is the slightly different case(I like the shorter flap than the CKR case). Connectors look good as MMCX can have connection problems but longer DC really doesn't and that can be part of the issue so the connector being longer can take more stress off the connection. I think that is a bit better connector here on this and the ES750/950. I'm sure they tested it out esp. with the cans and these have much less weight to deal with.

I like the diamond like carbon coated drivers. Same approach as the nanotubes or the old Sony evaporated diamond coating. Something of a hard nature for stiffness seems to work well. That is the approach of course whether it be multiple layer diaphragms or coated with something or made of something, you want stiffness yet responsiveness. Dual venting looks good too but results in this beast of a housing. Just need a class leading stage to come of it.

Seems to be well thought out judging by the little changes as well. The plug has the taper out to be a bit more ergonomic for the finger grip, again on the case with the shorter flap is a small improvement.

Have no doubt these will be unique and enjoyed much in the way the WS99 and CKS1000 have been and maybe even more.

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #5 of 157
I am really looking forward to it. As an ex-owner of CKS1000 and a typical basshead, I have been addicted to this IEM series.

Oct 15, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 157
Can't wait for these. I had CKS1000 which was excelent basshead IEM. CDjapan will sell these for $200, but I think price will drop to $150 soon like CKS1000 3 years ago.

Oct 17, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #7 of 157
There are also new headphones in the WS line to compliment the new SOLID BASS releases and I don't think i've seen a thread created for that
http://www.e-earphone.jp/shopdetail/000000075001/ct2608/page1/order/

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 157
I'm most definitely getting these if they perform better than the CKR10's! CKR10's are my favorite IEMs to date but the cable crapped on me twice in a span of 3 months and now I'm just slowly waiting for that to happen again with my 3rd pair.

Hoping for upgraded durability cable options as well (no idea what those connectors are). 

Oct 23, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #9 of 157
  There are also new headphones in the WS line to compliment the new SOLID BASS releases and I don't think i've seen a thread created for that
http://www.e-earphone.jp/shopdetail/000000075001/ct2608/page1/order/

The WS1100 looks like a basshead version of the MSR7, though Gizmodo Japan said they were rather warm and laid back, and seemed to imply they weren't worth the MSRP of 25000 yen, more like 20000.

Oct 23, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 157
  The WS1100 looks like a basshead version of the MSR7, though Gizmodo Japan said they were rather warm and laid back, and seemed to imply they weren't worth the MSRP of 25000 yen, more like 20000.

I'm thinking they'll drop way below MSRP. The ATH-CKR10's MSRP is 389.95 USD but now they're going on Amazon for around 200 USD.

Hopefully some people in Japan already got their impressions as I think they were released just today or yesterday.

Oct 23, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #11 of 157
  I'm thinking they'll drop way below MSRP. The ATH-CKR10's MSRP is 389.95 USD but now they're going on Amazon for around 200 USD.

Unfortunately that didn't happen with the MSR7 in the US though... Seems they fixed the price to 250$. Also hasn't been released in Canada (M70x has been though)...

"drops" from MSRP are common for M50 and other AT headphones though.

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #12 of 157
An early short review but seemingly from an experienced person also listening to quality phones...(translated from the kakaku site)

"Excellent sound good to Cospa
By Hi-Res Tsu correspondence with a solid base, it was the last that was seen by audition in the mood.
WS1100 and so was good unlike the sound each is both at the same time buy.
DAP is Cayin N5, other Portable Roxanne, MH40, stationary machine uses T1 2G, the DT1770PRO.
Music is hip-hop, vocal, club system, jazz, it is occasionally listening to classical music.
I think that has been settled is sound in the leave play 30 hours.

[Design]
It is a unique design.
Will the larger in the earphones, but I thought it was much smaller in the opposite probably because you have been using your Roxanne.
You once can also Sure seat, but I think touch noise may be small unlike normally the mounted even before the Oteku.
Tteka, before it was terrible.

[Sound quality of the treble]
Hi-Res it will extend there correspondence only.
CKR10 I treble relinquished noisy but, this is not even common buried sense of bass phone up to now have been adjusted to feel good.
I think that it is the sound of luxury earphone par.
Sound field also I think the wider as a portable machine.

Although it is aging to treble it's 6 per hour I thought it was at all Hi-Res no sense buried in the bass, it was a good sound with growth and spread as aging progresses.
If you change the eartip to Compliance, because the sound is there is U~omi feeling of calm will be mellow, this was I think this is good. Often said is muffled feeling is not.

[Sound quality of bass]
I think that is similar to the massive of the SE846.
Roxanne also because it uses by adjusting the bass to 2:00 to 2:30 direction, just It is a similar amount.
But, rather than a bass that was Mowa~tsu, it is interference of a sound properly.
The portable machine balance between the treble I think good.
Since the whole of the center of gravity is lowered when fitting the Compliance, I felt a little Na become boomy.
It is very similar to SE846.

[Feeling fit]
Sound difficult mounted in the standard position the eartips also I bass was not enough, but to fit Once you move in front of the position, now and decent sound.
Since Compliance is a treble pains nice, it will Ozusume None earwax guard.
Fit even better, it becomes a real mellow sound good.

[Outside sound barrier properties]
This is the sound insulation of when using an ordinary silicon ear tips.
Since When's Compliance will not hear all you can use to your liking.

[Sound leakage prevention]
Once, although the eartips I saw closes with a finger I did not leak at the volume that you are listening everyday.
I think that it can be peace of mind.

[Portability]
Since there is a large carrying case, it carries will not be bitter.
You can use with confidence without having to collapse it's hard case for IEM of FitEar If bundled case is unreliable.
We do not sell in the middle 's other shops, but sold at e-earphone.

[OVERALL]
Was made ​​at the same time listen AK T8iE in balance, in a comprehensive manner here is I think good.
It is mainly COSPA and sound insulation.
AK T8 is mellow round sound there is no corner of the sound, but there is no sense of attack in too tenderness sound, a voice clerk and the audience are talking next to you are listening to music has been heard.
This is thought to be Na not listen to noisy even in a normal town in and train it and good sound.
I am satisfied because very Cospa also good is good sound."

Hey, if you are/have access to a DT1770, CKR10, SE846, T8ie and after only about 30 hours you want to write about the CKS1100 and give them five stars then so be it. Who am I to argue? :)

Mine are just about ready to be getting on the plane from Tokyo. My next USPS tracking update should be when they are scanned in on US soil.
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #13 of 157
  An early short review but seemingly from an experienced person also listening to quality phones...(translated from the kakaku site)

"Excellent sound good to Cospa
By Hi-Res Tsu correspondence with a solid base, it was the last that was seen by audition in the mood.
WS1100 and so was good unlike the sound each is both at the same time buy.
DAP is Cayin N5, other Portable Roxanne, MH40, stationary machine uses T1 2G, the DT1770PRO.
Music is hip-hop, vocal, club system, jazz, it is occasionally listening to classical music.
I think that has been settled is sound in the leave play 30 hours.

[Design]
It is a unique design.
Will the larger in the earphones, but I thought it was much smaller in the opposite probably because you have been using your Roxanne.
You once can also Sure seat, but I think touch noise may be small unlike normally the mounted even before the Oteku.
Tteka, before it was terrible.

[Sound quality of the treble]
Hi-Res it will extend there correspondence only.
CKR10 I treble relinquished noisy but, this is not even common buried sense of bass phone up to now have been adjusted to feel good.
I think that it is the sound of luxury earphone par.
Sound field also I think the wider as a portable machine.

Although it is aging to treble it's 6 per hour I thought it was at all Hi-Res no sense buried in the bass, it was a good sound with growth and spread as aging progresses.
If you change the eartip to Compliance, because the sound is there is U~omi feeling of calm will be mellow, this was I think this is good. Often said is muffled feeling is not.

[Sound quality of bass]
I think that is similar to the massive of the SE846.
Roxanne also because it uses by adjusting the bass to 2:00 to 2:30 direction, just It is a similar amount.
But, rather than a bass that was Mowa~tsu, it is interference of a sound properly.
The portable machine balance between the treble I think good.
Since the whole of the center of gravity is lowered when fitting the Compliance, I felt a little Na become boomy.
It is very similar to SE846.

[Feeling fit]
Sound difficult mounted in the standard position the eartips also I bass was not enough, but to fit Once you move in front of the position, now and decent sound.
Since Compliance is a treble pains nice, it will Ozusume None earwax guard.
Fit even better, it becomes a real mellow sound good.

[Outside sound barrier properties]
This is the sound insulation of when using an ordinary silicon ear tips.
Since When's Compliance will not hear all you can use to your liking.

[Sound leakage prevention]
Once, although the eartips I saw closes with a finger I did not leak at the volume that you are listening everyday.
I think that it can be peace of mind.

[Portability]
Since there is a large carrying case, it carries will not be bitter.
You can use with confidence without having to collapse it's hard case for IEM of FitEar If bundled case is unreliable.
We do not sell in the middle 's other shops, but sold at e-earphone.

[OVERALL]
Was made ​​at the same time listen AK T8iE in balance, in a comprehensive manner here is I think good.
It is mainly COSPA and sound insulation.
AK T8 is mellow round sound there is no corner of the sound, but there is no sense of attack in too tenderness sound, a voice clerk and the audience are talking next to you are listening to music has been heard.
This is thought to be Na not listen to noisy even in a normal town in and train it and good sound.
I am satisfied because very Cospa also good is good sound."

Hey, if you are/have access to a DT1770, CKR10, SE846, T8ie and after only about 30 hours you want to write about the CKS1100 and give them five stars then so be it. Who am I to argue? :)

Mine are just about ready to be getting on the plane from Tokyo. My next USPS tracking update should be when they are scanned in on US soil.
tongue_smile.gif

Couldn't really make head or tails of the translation, but I get the idea he probably likes it.

Eagerly awaiting your impressions of the CKS1100! :)

Oct 27, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #15 of 157
$216 with EMS which hopefully will have them here by the end of the week. CDjapan also marks as gift if you select it. Odd that I haven't found them cheaper. Even when I ordered the lowest was $222 before Tenso.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back