Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT Announcement Thread
Jul 12, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #256 of 300
@llysender
Your more qualified than me in this. :) Ill let you and others here take care of it.

I'm just surprised you call the AWAS the true successor to the W5000. I don't see any Woodie a true successor to each other to be frank. Just like the L3000 and the L5000. The L5000 is not the true successor to the L3000.

@Pinkfloyd0
Briefly, on the construction between the W5000 and AWKT , only the ebony wood is shared. Everything else is changed. Shape of the wood, cables, the headband to the driver, ecth.. The AWKT has somewhat a modern W100 (1999) wood shape to it now. The two pairs are 95% different from the build. This makes a difference.

On the tuning, from the selected amplifiers I used. The W5000 is bright, detail and thin. Its punchy and accurate with very weak bass. Now on other amplifiers, its warm and smooth with great non-harsh details.

From the short demo session I had with the AWKT, it sounded thin and bright. The AWKT has great resolution. Maybe this is the highlight. It is a good headphone. And deserves being a flagship.

Which one is better? The W5000 is in the AT legendary section for me. So, that's all I have to say :)

Jul 12, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #257 of 300
Interesting. Yeah I should have mentioned my source was DX300 into the stores demo BHA100 with stock tubes via RCA since I dont have either the W5000 or the AWAS on hand and no one else besides the AT showroom still stocks the W5000. Based off my A/B/C with the W5k/AWKT/AWAS on that that setup both the W5000 and AWAS has pretty strong sustained bass and lush warm mids. If Protoss is saying the W5000 is bright and thin then it must be very amp sensitive as I didnt find it thin at all but instead I felt everything was pretty large imaging wise. Pretty different from the AWKT which gives you more of a birds eye view radar imaging.

I would say if anything L5000 is the brightest AT Ive heard till date. But that is on a different amp, Cayin iha-6 so take it with a grain of sait.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #258 of 300
Thanks to both of you for your detailed reply!

Interesting that this headphone is so dependent on what amplifier is used (and than probably also the source equipment?!)
I hope it will pair nicely with my Violectric hpa v281 (good base foundation / no harsh highs).
Anyways, I sold my Sony mdr z1r and now am waiting for W5000 to arrive!

Thanks!

Jul 13, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #259 of 300
waiting for W5000 to arrive
The original woodies with their 3D wings and the way they fit on the head/ears will take some time to get used to. Beware of this, you might fidget alot to get a proper seal. I wear it with the cups leaking facing forward. The W5000 earpads are the best earpads for the W5000 and other OG woodies. The AWKT/AWAS wears like a traditional headphone.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #260 of 300
I read that some people have a problem with fit and this affects sound in a big way.
I hope I am not one of them. If so, I will try my best to make it work by bending the headband etc. It's a bit of a gamble, this will be my first AT headphone!

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #261 of 300
I read that some people have a problem with fit and this affects sound in a big way.
I hope I am not one of them. If so, I will try my best to make it work by bending the headband etc. It's a bit of a gamble, this will be my first AT headphone!
I find them personally very comfortable. Pads are shallow but wide, and I have no sense of my ear being in touch with driver.

Source is defo critical - these can be run from an average DAP, but they really need high-end DAC/amp to hear what they're capable of. I've been running them from Sparkos Aries/Sonnet Morpheus recently and it adds more body to the overall presentation without taking away any detail.

Excellent headphones, very refined.

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #262 of 300
Hello Nostoi,

to be sure, in your above post you are talking about W5000?

I see you have AWKT also! Any thoughts about the similarities / differences between the two soundwise?

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #263 of 300
Hello Nostoi,

to be sure, in your above post you are talking about W5000?

I see you have AWKT also! Any thoughts about the similarities / differences between the two soundwise?
Hi there, yes sorry - I was talking about AWKT. You were talking about W5000? I cannot speak for them, alas - though as @protoss says, the fit is a bit idiosyncratic with the older models so you'll need to spend time adjusting.

To my chagrin, I've yet to hear the W5000, so can't compare. At some point, I would like to go through much of the older gen of AT woodies.

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #264 of 300
Hi there, yes sorry - I was talking about AWKT. You were talking about W5000? I cannot speak for them, alas - though as @protoss says, the fit is a bit idiosyncratic with the older models so you'll need to spend time adjusting.

To my chagrin, I've yet to hear the W5000, so can't compare. At some point, I would like to go through much of the older gen of AT woodies.
Yes it was about W5000 allthough this is AWKT thread...
The initial question was about the similarities / differences between the two.
But I get the feeling not many people own AT woodies and these are somewhat of a niche product! Interesting!

Aug 3, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #266 of 300
Aug 12, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #267 of 300
I'm in the midst of writing a four-way overview of all these, which I'll upload next week after I receive the AWAS. But in response, I would say the AWKT hits harder in the bass. I was just listening to James Horner's Alien soundtrack on these and the bass startled me. It's incredibly lifelike and deep. I'm very curious to see how the bass on the AWAS compares.
Would you say the bass on the AWKT is suitable for hip hop? I'm not a bass head but I don't want the bass to do a disservice to that genre in particular either

Aug 12, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #268 of 300
Would you say the bass on the AWKT is suitable for hip hop? I'm not a bass head but I don't want the bass to do a disservice to that genre in particular either
I can't say it would be my first choice for hip-hop, but you'll get a clean, very controlled bass. It just won't have the exaggerated impact you'd find on something like the TH900. That said, the AWKT has excellent extension, but the overall tuning is very linear/natural.

Aug 12, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #269 of 300
@Marshall95 To add on to Nostoi the AWKT will want a warm tube hybrid amp with the stock OFC cable for that extra drag to to the bass for hip hop. At lest in my current setup(silver cable/neutual tube amp) it sounds very nice and relexing but it doesnt make it feel like you are being hit by a 15ton truck with the the synth. That being said its still very enjoyable with that tumping beat esp when you crank it up.

If you are listening to mainly hip hop ZMF Eikon might be better unless you really want AWKT level of detail. Then you have to play with sources to intentionally distort the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back