Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT Announcement Thread
Nov 11, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #211 of 300
The last thing the AWKT's need is to be paired with a neutral amp. The AWKT's are hovering on the bright side of neutral and I think pairing them on amp like BHA-1 the sound would be to incisive. The dynamics would be through the roof but you will lose out on musicality.

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #212 of 300
The last thing the AWKT's need is to be paired with a neutral amp. The AWKT's are hovering on the bright side of neutral and I think pairing them on amp like BHA-1 the sound would be to incisive. The dynamics would be through the roof but you will lose out on musicality.
It's a good point, though I'm something like a "neutrality junkie" (I *love* the Hugo 2/AWKT pairing especially with the Silver Dragon cables), but indeed - it's a lot of brightness. I wish I still had my Pathos Aurium for the AWKT, which I think would also be a good hybrid pairing.

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #213 of 300
Would like to hear that pairing. How does the AWKT sound with your Flux Lab? (I am on the verge of getting the Sparkos Aires for my SS option).
I like them on the FA-10 a lot. The FA-10 has a tube like quality to it. The notes are weighted, the midrange is full sounding, and the treble is sweet sounding. The bass is taunt, impactful with plenty of slam. On top of that the dynamics are through the roof. It powers my Susvara's and TC's with ease. Of all the SS amps I've tried the FA-10 is my favorite.

It's a good point, though I'm something like a "neutrality junkie" (I *love* the Hugo 2/AWKT pairing especially with the Silver Dragon cables), but indeed - it's a lot of brightness. I wish I still had my Pathos Aurium for the AWKT, which I think would also be a good hybrid pairing.
If this is case, you might want to look into the FA-10 Pro. It has more of a neutral tuning, while the FA-10 is more about musical enjoyment. I like the AWKT"s straight out of the Hugo 2 as well, but it's not my favorite pairing. The Pathos Aurium is a nice amp. I relly like the Utopia's out of it when I had them both.

Nov 12, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #214 of 300
Just ordered the BHA100. Couldn't help myself. Will be comparing it to a bunch of other SS/hybrid amps as I receive them.

Nov 12, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #215 of 300
Just ordered the BHA100. Couldn't help myself. Will be comparing it to a bunch of other SS/hybrid amps as I receive them.
Nice, should have plenty of clean power to drive just about anything. I have a Burson Soloist incoming, but it hasn't shipped yet.

Nov 12, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #216 of 300
I'm quite disappointed with this headphone's performance. The bass is limp. Pads sucks for seal. Build feels cheap. Wood doesn't even look that good. Where did the $1900 go?

You are right the sound is bright side. The response is not balanced. There is 6-7k emphasis with limp bass which causes sound to be toward analytical. The resolution sucked too. I really can't recommend this for anyone looking for performance for price. I think I'm done with AT as two headphones I heard has this similar response of too bright highs and limp bass with not so great vocal area. It seems like a house sound.

I do like the 70X though (mainly for bass), but the mids could have been better for vocals and details. The problem is I would go back to 6XX for the better vocals even if the bass isn't quite as good.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #217 of 300
I'm quite disappointed with this headphone's performance. The bass is limp. Pads sucks for seal. Build feels cheap. Wood doesn't even look that good. Where did the $1900 go?

You are right the sound is bright side. The response is not balanced. There is 6-7k emphasis with limp bass which causes sound to be toward analytical. The resolution sucked too. I really can't recommend this for anyone looking for performance for price. I think I'm done with AT as two headphones I heard has this similar response of too bright highs and limp bass with not so great vocal area. It seems like a house sound.

I do like the 70X though, but the mids could have been better for vocals and details.
You made the same comment on the closed back thread. AWKT are not for everyone and definitely not for those seeking slamming bass. As also mentioned, for me they're by far the most resolving headphones at this price point.

I'd advise you return them if possible. Sony might be more your cup of tea.

Nov 12, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #218 of 300

I do like the 70X though (mainly for bass), but the mids could have been better for vocals and details. The problem is I would go back to 6XX for the better vocals even if the bass isn't quite as good.
What amps have you tried them on? I prefer them on tubes for all the reasons you just described. I also like them on the RME ADi-2 FS with PEQ applied. I also make use of the onboard bass and treble tone controls.

Nov 12, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #219 of 300
What amps have you tried them on? I prefer them on tubes for all the reasons you just described. I also like them on the RME ADi-2 FS with PEQ applied. I also make use of the onboard bass and treble tone controls.
I have tried tubes, and I had similar issue with TH900, and drove it out of ZDS, and the TH900 responded with much bass, but AWKT didn't respond with much bass. I wish it had greater quantity of bass, which isn't too much to ask for in a closed-back. I think the response can improve with more linear bass region instead of that decline.

AWKT seems fairly consistent with amping. At least not like some of the other headphons I've experienced. That 6-7k emphasis will surely show up with any amping, and that bass will not come up.

If I'm getting similar level of bass from a $220 openback, the 5XX?...

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #220 of 300
I have tried tubes, and I had similar issue with TH900, and drove it out of ZDS, and the TH900 responded with much bass, but AWKT didn't respond with much bass. I wish it had greater quantity of bass, which isn't too much to ask for in a closed-back. I think the response can improve with more linear bass region instead of that decline.
With all due respect, you've chosen the wrong headphones for bass - MDR-Z1R or ZMF VC are the way to go. Not all closed backs should be expected to deliver thumping bass.

Nov 12, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #221 of 300

AWKT seems fairly consistent with amping. At least not like some of the other headphons I've experienced. That 6-7k emphasis will surely show up with any amping, and that bass will not come up.

If I'm getting similar level of bass from a $220 openback, the 5XX?...
The AWKT's definitely don't offer the bass levels as the TH900's, Z1R's, VC's, or LCD-XC's, but I wouldn't call them bass light either. The AWKT's do have the AT's house sound which is a very clean midrange with an upper midrange emphasis and airy treble. I think the bass levels on the AWKT's are Audio-Technica's best yet. I guess that isn't say much compared to other offerings. It's deep, layered, and defined but it's not overly done or all that impactful. It's definitely more technical than fun.

Listening to them on my LP gets you some of that fun factor back. Taking the AWKT's on its own merits without comparing them to others they are very good closed headphones in my opinion.

Nov 12, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #222 of 300
The AWKT's definitely don't offer the bass levels as the TH900's, Z1R's, VC's, or LCD-XC's, but I wouldn't call them bass light either. The AWKT's do have the AT's house sound which is a very clean midrange with an upper midrange emphasis and airy treble. I think the bass levels on the AWKT's are Audio-Technica's best yet. I guess that isn't say much compared to other offerings. It's deep, layered, and defined but it's not overly done or all that impactful. It's definitely more technical than fun.

Listening to them on my LP gets you some of that fun factor back. Taking the AWKT's on its own merits without comparing them to others they are very good closed headphones in my opinion.
I was actually listening to HD800S out of ZDS when I transferred over. ZDS does provide good amount of bass out of HD800S than typical solid-state, but not too much. I think good reasonable amount. So, I wasn't coming from a basshead headphone when I switched over to AWKT, and noticed the low level of bass. The measurements do show what I'm hearing, so there is evidence of the way bass declines to support what I'm hearing. The 6-7k lift accentuates this effect. We all know emphasis in the high frequencies will further push the impression of the response to the colder side.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #224 of 300
I was actually listening to HD800S out of ZDS when I transferred over. ZDS does provide good amount of bass out of HD800S than typical solid-state, but not too much. I think good reasonable amount. So, I wasn't coming from a basshead headphone when I switched over to AWKT, and noticed the low level of bass. The measurements do show what I'm hearing, so there is evidence of the way bass declines to support what I'm hearing. The 6-7k lift accentuates this effect. We all know emphasis in the high frequencies will further push the impression of the response to the colder side.
Funny that you mentioned the HD800S's. I'm listening to them now and their bass response or bass behavior puts me in mindset of the way the AWKT's bass behaves. If there is deep bass in the track the HD800S's have no problem representing it. It's just not "on" all the time. The AWKT's are similar in performance. There is no denying that Audio-Technica loves their upper mids and treble presence. It's that very reason that makes me wish there was a little more bass presence no doubt.

Nov 12, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #225 of 300
Did you try them with a parametric EQ? https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au..._harman_over-ear_2018/Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back