Audio-Technica ATH-AP2000Ti - Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2019 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 299

XERO1

Headphoneus Supremus
28465d8bda234a31a9264c3017099a88.jpg

c3d07c3c0b63433da6cf1e482ec213af.jpg

Features:
  • Large-aperture 53 mm drivers with a permendur magnetic circuit are capable of Hi-Res Audio reproduction

• Core Mount Technology places driver unit in optimal position for improved airflow and excellent full-range audio reproduction

• Audio-Technica’s Double Air Damping System (D.A.D.S.) for deep, natural-sounding bass reproduction

• Diamond-like carbon (DLC) coating on diaphragms helps to deliver exceptional full-range audio

• Rigid, pure-titanium housings reduce unwanted resonance

• Three detachable cables with A2DC (Audio Designed Detachable Coaxial) connectors at the headphones: 1.2 m and 3.0 m cables with 3.5 mm 3-pole stereo mini-plug; 1.2 m cable with 4.4 mm 5-pole balanced mini-plug

• Headphones fold flat for easy transport in the included carrying case

• Soft, durable leather earpads for superior comfort

• Includes 6.3 mm (¼") stereo adapter and cleaning cloth

• Each pair of headphones is individually identified by a laser-etched serial number

Specifications:

Impedance: 44Ω
Sensitivity: 100dB/mW
Weight: 300g

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/e39a64b26050c4e9/index.html
https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=3055

Available in US in Q1 2019 - MSRP is $1250

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 299
I've gotta stop buying all these $100-$300 headphones and save up for a nice set of $1000 to $2000 headphones.

One of these days. .

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #3 of 299
Lachlan (now works at minidisc) put up a impression/ short review of it, while also including very brief comparison to some premium closed like the MDR Z1R, A2000Z (predecessor), T5p, Elegia, etc. didn't include packgaing, but the travel case is way less premium than ADX5000.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 299
So are there any news when these will be avaible in the US and EU? Still not listed for sale on their worldwide website.
Everytime I look up the pre-order date keeps getting pushed out. It went form March 12th to April 29th now

May 2, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 299
May 2, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #7 of 299
I tested the AP2000Ti with the Cowon Plenue S playing Boris Giltburg’s performance of the 2nd Rachmaninov piano concerto and it was not harsh at all. It had qualities that I would characterise as coherent and pellucid.

https://sandalaudio.blogspot.com/2019/04/ath-ap2000ti-ath-ck2000ti-ath-cm2000ti.html?m=1

Use Chrome to read the above review in English.
Thanks for the great review! What does not get lost in the translation is how impressed you were with AT's new headphone...

Jun 5, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 299
Got my ATH-AP2000Ti's today. Initial impressions are wow. They are so detailed, the mids are extremely clear, and the bass is very good. The bass doesn't have the presence of a planar headphone but it's nice and punchy with good depth and extension. The bass on the ATH-AP2000Ti's reminds me of the bass on my Utopia's. It's not always present but if the bass in the music they both deliver it with speed, definition, and authority. This is new territory for Audio-Techinca. This headphone is definitely an upgrade from the A2000Z's I had before. They still might be considered bass lite for some but you can always add subbass. The good thing about this headphone adding some subbass shouldn't interfere with the rest of the frequency spectrum.

Audio-Technica does treble as good as any headphone manufacturer and the ATH-AP2000Ti's are no exception. The clarity in the treble is top notch. The overall sound signature is on the brighter side of neutral but to me this adds to the openness of the headphone. They don't sound congested or closed in at all. The soundstage is pretty good. Imaging is very good as well.

They are very light and very comfortable. The wing headband system is gone and I couldn't be happier. These feel so much more nicer on the head with a good seal. When I had the A2000Z's I had to bend the headphone band because I couldn't get them to sit on my head properly. Not so with these. They fit like a "normal" headphone. The earpads are contoured to fit more naturally around the ear. They remind me of a less thicker version of my Z1R earpads, nice touch. That's all I have for now. I'm going to let these burn-in for awhile and come back for more listening.

IMG_1284.jpg

Jun 13, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #11 of 299
Can you compare it with Z1R and 820? Those two are the best closed I've ever tried, just want to have some benchmark to judge as I don't think 2000Ti gonna come to my local Jaben anytime soon.

Jun 15, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #12 of 299
Can you compare it with Z1R and 820? Those two are the best closed I've ever tried, just want to have some benchmark to judge as I don't think 2000Ti gonna come to my local Jaben anytime soon.
Sure! The AP2000Ti is the brighter sounding headphone of the three by a wide margin. But it's not sibilant at all. I find the clarity amazing. When you compare it to the Z1R and HD820 without giving your ears some rest you would think it sounds thin but it's not. It's just that the AP2000Ti is on the brighter side of neutral. Where as, the Z1R and HD820 are on the warmer side of neutral. The AP2000Ti is very revealing but I think the HD820 is most resolving of the three. Surprisingly, the AP2000Ti has a very good soundstage. It's not as spacious sounding as the HD820 but it holds its own against the other two. Music doesn't sound closed in at all on the AP2000Ti. The Z1R's do a very good job of sounding like an open headphone as well.

The midrange is nicely integrated and smooth on the AP2000Ti. It's clear and ever so slightly pushed back when compared to the Z1R and HD820 midrange. Both of the latter two headphones the midrange is more forward sounding with nice body and tone. The HD820's timbre is the best of the bunch. It just sounds so natural.

The treble on the AP2000Ti is one of the best I've heard. I love the treble on this headphone. The treble on the Z1R can be peaky at times depending on the song. The treble on the Z1R is a lot better with an all copper cable but it's still not as good as the HD820 or AP2000Ti's treble to my ears. The treble on the HD820's matches that of the AP2000Ti in clarity and detail. But begins to separate itself because it sounds more out of your head.

Now on to the bass. All three present bass differently. The Z1R is the deepest and sounds like a subwoofer in your head. The draw back of this kind of bass presentation is that it can over take the music on some songs. The AP2000Ti's and HD820's bass is better integrated, more linear. The kick drums have a nice thump it on both these headphones. The HD820's bass sound so natural and its the most defined of the three. But the AP2000Ti's bass in not far behind in definition to the HD820's. The Z1R's is big and bold and is on a whole different level.

If I had sum up the sound of these headphones it would be as follows:

AP2000Ti: Of a bright nature, but paints a very good image. Every note can be heard and the bass is very good. The midrange is smooth and balanced. Very easy to drive and is not source dependent and sounds good out of lesser sources. Best Audio-Technica I've heard.
HD820: Refined, open, dynamic, resolving and detailed. Finally has the bass I've been looking for from a TOTL Sennheiser headphone. Pin point imaging, with nice bass and midrange body You forget you're listening to a closed headphone. Sounds the best with better sources. Extra power is not required but helps bring out the best sound in this headphone
Z1R: One word, musical. You can put this headphone on and enjoy any type of music. Easy to drive and scales very well. Has the richest sound due to it big bass and full sounding midrange.

All three are keepers. But if I had to keep one it would be the HD820's.

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #13 of 299
Can anyone remark on the isolation and low volume listening?

Also curious what the brightness on these is like... is it similar to AT's m70x or ADX5000? I find those a bit 'hyperextended' to the point of artificiality with anything but electronica.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #14 of 299
Can anyone remark on the isolation and low volume listening?

Also curious what the brightness on these is like... is it similar to AT's m70x or ADX5000? I find those a bit 'hyperextended' to the point of artificiality with anything but electronica.
These are excellent for low volume listening due to headphone efficiency. It doesn't take a lot of volume to get these headphone to sing. When you put them on you can hear the volume from the outside noise immediately get quieter.

I don't find the AP2000Ti's to be bright at all. The treble presentation on these is one best I've listened to on any headphone and is one of my favorite thing about them. They are very, very detailed due to the clarity in the treble. The bass has nice presence as well.

The AP2000Ti's has a nice soundstage and doesn't sound closed in at all. To me this is the best headphone I've heard from Audio-Technica.

Jul 21, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #15 of 299
These are excellent for low volume listening due to headphone efficiency. It doesn't take a lot of volume to get these headphone to sing. When you put them on you can hear the volume from the outside noise immediately get quieter.

I don't find the AP2000Ti's to be bright at all. The treble presentation on these is one best I've listened to on any headphone and is one of my favorite thing about them. They are very, very detailed due to the clarity in the treble. The bass has nice presence as well.

The AP2000Ti's has a nice soundstage and doesn't sound closed in at all. To me this is the best headphone I've heard from Audio-Technica.

Thanks for the reply! Just to clarify by "low volume listening" I meant dB level/loudness not sensitivity/device volume- i.e. how they sound at low dB.

"very very detailed" "clarity in the treble" I guess is how I would describe M70x and ADX5000, something I prefer to avoid usually tbh, but it can be good at low loudness listening. Also, if the signature is overall less bright, the effect might be completely different than on those two headphones.

The other closed headphone I am seriously considering ATM is the Atticus, kind of a yin vs yang situation it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back