Audio Technica ATH-A900X
May 19, 2013 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Digital DJ

Head-Fier
Hello guys/gals, new member here. This is my first post actually :) I was wondering if I could get an owners perspective and impressions on the headphones in the Title above. (Audio Technica ATH-A900X) I was wondering what you're thoughts on sound quality are, dynamics and such. I've read that the construction build are a hit and miss depending head size, but I'm mostly concerned about sound quality more than anything. I believe these are one of the more "high end" sealed/closed headphones that AT makes, I'd like to hear your thoughts on them. Thanks everyone.

May 19, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 8
IMO.....you may want to really consider the W1000X from Buydig for $389 shipped using the coupon MayFlowers10.

I've been using the A900X and the W1000X the past week and both of them are very good value for the money. However, what is not to like with the 1000 model......wood cups, dual entry wiring with better copper than the 900, nicer wood plug. The 1000X sounds more refined too and has a larger soundstage. These phones are truly on par with at least the old and highly praised Denon 5K. (I have D5K too).

IMO, right now, I don't think there is a better closed can for the money. It is truly outstanding.

Another route to be considered is the Denon AH-D600 from Amazon Warehouse deals. There are some "very good" pairs for $222 shipped today. Returns are about as painless as it comes so 30 days of risk free tryout is nice. I just bought a pair of these because I was always curious of them.

They are highly polarizing phones. I've heard D7K users saying hey are on par with those and others saying they are worse than the beats. With all of the Faux-diophiles polluting Headfi, it's hard to say, I'm guessing they are nowhere near as bad as they are being portrayed.

I'd really be leaning toward the 1000X.....they are just phenomenal with good amplification, best bang for buck currently IMO.

May 19, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
IMO.....you may want to really consider the W1000X from Buydig for $389 shipped using the coupon MayFlowers10.

I've been using the A900X and the W1000X the past week and both of them are very good value for the money. However, what is not to like with the 1000 model......wood cups, dual entry wiring with better copper than the 900, nicer wood plug. The 1000X sounds more refined too and has a larger soundstage. These phones are truly on par with at least the old and highly praised Denon 5K. (I have D5K too).

IMO, right now, I don't think there is a better closed can for the money. It is truly outstanding.

Another route to be considered is the Denon AH-D600 from Amazon Warehouse deals. There are some "very good" pairs for $222 shipped today. Returns are about as painless as it comes so 30 days of risk free tryout is nice. I just bought a pair of these because I was always curious of them.

They are highly polarizing phones. I've heard D7K users saying hey are on par with those and others saying they are worse than the beats. With all of the Faux-diophiles polluting Headfi, it's hard to say, I'm guessing they are nowhere near as bad as they are being portrayed.

I'd really be leaning toward the 1000X.....they are just phenomenal with good amplification, best bang for buck currently IMO.

I actually considered the W1000X for a while, but the street price the A900X is awesome. Street price for the A900X is $160, and it MSRP's for $300. That's nearly half off, and they look better than the W1000X :)

May 19, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
I actually considered the W1000X for a while, but the street price the A900X is awesome. Street price for the A900X is $160, and it MSRP's for $300. That's nearly half off, and they look better than the W1000X :)

I was able to get a brand new 900 from Buydig about a month ago for $128 shipped. They are indeed supreme bang for buck. IMO the build quality as well as audio of the 1000 takes them to another level completely. Yes they are more expensive, but well worth it. Other than the current Buydig deal these phones sell for at least $100+ anywhere else. I say get em while they're hot! :)

Here's a good look at the ins and outs of the W1000X from a site I came across....scroll down: http://mttk810.blog101.fc2.com/blog-category-104.html ........pics are clickable for better rez.

May 20, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

I was able to get a brand new 900 from Buydig about a month ago for $128 shipped. They are indeed supreme bang for buck. IMO the build quality as well as audio of the 1000 takes them to another level completely. Yes they are more expensive, but well worth it. Other than the current Buydig deal these phones sell for at least $100+ anywhere else. I say get em while they're hot! :)

Here's a good look at the ins and outs of the W1000X from a site I came across....scroll down: http://mttk810.blog101.fc2.com/blog-category-104.html ........pics are clickable for better rez.

Hmmm Interesting... Maybe.

May 20, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm also considering an AKG Q701, they're $250 street price and they're proven to provide pristine sound quality. Problem is though, it's an open air design... That's bad because most of the time I listen to music while I'm walking, and I wouldn't want ambient/loud noises leaking into the drivers... I'm all about music immersion on my walks, and ambient noises would totally throw me off and make me irritated. That's the main reason why I'm not considering an open air design headphone. The AKG K550 is a prime candidate also, but it's street price is $260, which wouldn't leave me any funds to buy a Fiio E11. That's why the A900X is so attractive to me, it's an high end/flagship closed headphone that has a street price of half its MSRP ($300). Plus Audio Technica is a proven brand as AKG, just not as well known. Sure, I'll look like an alien walking around with those on my head, but atleast I'll be jamming on a set of cans that offer excellent sound quality. :)

May 20, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
i dont really think the a900x is really high end
youre better off with w1000x in this matter, you can purchase the E11 at a later time

The W1000X isn't exactly attracting me because I can buy the AKG K550 at that price, which would be my alternative. Plus the W1000X is going for $460 on amazon, which is the website I'll be buying from. $300 MSRP for closed headphones is pretty high end in my book (unless we're talking about Beats Studio, cuz those are worth half of what they cost), it might not be their "best" closed headphone, but it's definitely one of their more "serious" headphones. Regardless, the W1000X isn't an option I'm considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back