Audio Technica ATH-A900X / Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus / Sennheiser HD 598 CS

Which of these would you consider as best for my situation

• Audio Technica ATH-A900X

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sennheiser HD 598 CS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HyperX Cloud II (Takstar Pro80)

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Jan 28, 2019 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

MihailT

New Head-Fier
Hi fellas,

As you can probably guess, I'm wondering which of these headphones to pick.

Here's a also a little bit of background. My current setup uses the onboard audio of the Aorus H370 Gaming WiFi motherboard, i.e. the ALC1220 audio chip.

I've been using the HyperX Cloud II headset. However, I wasn't much impressed with the 7.1 soundcard included in the package. In fact, when using the USB dongle, there appears to be some noise introduced in the headphones on higher volume levels. I was more impressed when I connected the headphones to my MoBo audio and played a little with the Realtek equalizer.

I'd say I like stronger bass levels, with reduced mids and slightly increased highs.

Anyways, I've been gifted a Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card, which I'll be installing in my PC some time next week.

The headphones mentioned in the title are available through some very good offerings in my country's second hand market and are pretty much at the same price, so consider as if they all cost the same.

My first question, I guess, would be if I will notice a difference with any of them over the Cloud IIs (which are based on the Takstar Pro80) connected directly into the Sound Blaster Z.

Secondly, if yes, which of these 3 would you recommend? From what I gathered online so far, the audio quality on the ATH-A900x would appear to be slightly better of the bunch, would you agree with this? The only problem is their design which has 2 wings for overhead support, which allegedly loosen up with time and they start to lose their comfort. Again, this is only gathered from reviews, so please share if you have personal experience with them. Another point is that the bass on the A900x is not as well pronounced as the one on the BeyerDynamics, which have 4 control options on the cans themselves.

I've also come across another offer for a Razer Tiamat 7.1 v1 and they're almost dirt cheap due to some visual defects, which I believe I could fix though. The problem with them is that I've seen many reviews reporting that while the 10 physical drivers give extreme situational awareness, the audio quality has been sacrificed in order to fit them all in a headphone package.

I should note that I'm using my PC for gaming, but also casual watching movies, listening to songs, etc. So I suppose I'm looking for a jack-of-all-trades headphones that have good bass and are a noticeable improvement over the HyperX Cloud IIs. Do any of the headphones listed above fit into this description, or would you recommend me to stick with what I have?

Another thing to note - the BDs would be bought brand new, whereas the AT and Senns are second-hand (even though the sellers assure they've been barely used and they look preserved visually). What is your opinion on buying used audio tech?

Jan 28, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 17
I own the ATH-A900X and the HD558 and the Gemini HSR-1000 (relabeled Takstar Pro80).
My first choice would be the ATH-A900X, but I would be just fine using the HD598CS.
I would disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before installing an add-on internal sound (but not a big deal).

As the SB-Z's headphone jack has a 22-Ohm output impedance,
the SB-Z card will give headphones (from your list) a slightly bloated (louder, less detailed) bass,
I'm guessing the 16-Ohm Beyer COP+ might get the most bloated bass, compared to other headphones (guessing).

Jan 28, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 17
Many thanks for your response, PurpleAngel!

Is there any way getting around the bloated bass? Choosing headphones with higher impedance? Would you recommend any specific models I could research on my local market?

Jan 28, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #4 of 17
Many thanks for your response, PurpleAngel!

Is there any way getting around the bloated bass? Choosing headphones with higher impedance? Would you recommend any specific models I could research on my local market?
There are lots of models of headphones in the world, any chance you could list the brands sold locally?

Jan 28, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 17
There are lots of models of headphones in the world, any chance you could list the brands sold locally?
Well, there are many brands sold locally - AudioTechnica, AKG, Bose, BeyerDynamic, Sennheiser, etc. The models listed above are just some deals which fit my budget.

I guess my question was more on the theoretical side of things, should I look for headphones with impedance over 22 Ohms, or is it not just the simple math at play here?

P.S. In general, what is your opinion on buying second-hand headphones?

Jan 28, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 17
Technically, headphones that are 200-Ohm or higher, would work best with a headphone jack that has a 22-Ohm output impedance.
But I'm sure there are people who have plugged 32-Ohm headphones into the SB-Z and been happy enough with the sound quality.
Finding a good deal on a used Beyerdynamic DT770 250-Ohm headphone might be something you could like.
The Takstar Pro 80 (HyperX Cloud) headphones are really good for their price.
You might consider hold off until you have installed the SB-Z and tried it with the HyperX Cloud headphones.
Take your time and see watch pops up on the used market, for your next headphone.

Jan 28, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 17
Technically, headphones that are 200-Ohm or higher, would work best with a headphone jack that has a 22-Ohm output impedance.
But I'm sure there are people who have plugged 32-Ohm headphones into the SB-Z and been happy enough with the sound quality.
Finding a good deal on a used Beyerdynamic DT770 250-Ohm headphone might be something you could like.
The Takstar Pro 80 (HyperX Cloud) headphones are really good for their price.
You might consider hold off until you have installed the SB-Z and tried it with the HyperX Cloud headphones.
Take your time and see watch pops up on the used market, for your next headphone.
Hey, cool, there is indeed a DT770 250-Ohm version for a good price here. One thing that bothers me about them is the velour earpads though. My Clouds came with two sets - one velour and one leatherette - and having the velours on seemed to diminish all bass they have. Is there a similar issue with the DT770s, and do they sell leather earpads for them? Would you still recommend the ATH-A900x over the DT770s?

Not sure if I mentioned this, but I'll likely be using them mostly for games and some casual music and movies.

I guess the most reasonable thing would be, as you suggested, to try with my current headphones and see how they sound. But the question then would be how would I know if I should replace them? Is there any software to assist in knowing if your headphones are limited in certain ranges?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 17
Hey, cool, there is indeed a DT770 250-Ohm version for a good price here. One thing that bothers me about them is the velour earpads though. My Clouds came with two sets - one velour and one leatherette - and having the velours on seemed to diminish all bass they have. Is there a similar issue with the DT770s, and do they sell leather earpads for them? Would you still recommend the ATH-A900x over the DT770s?
Not sure if I mentioned this, but I'll likely be using them mostly for games and some casual music and movies.
I guess the most reasonable thing would be, as you suggested, to try with my current headphones and see how they sound. But the question then would be how would I know if I should replace them? Is there any software to assist in knowing if your headphones are limited in certain ranges?
On eBay there are lot of ear pads for the DT770, sold on eBay, cheaper ($10?) no name pads and name brand ones for around $35.
Changing the type of pad will change the sound of the headphones, up to you to decide if the change is good or bad.
I'm not really into the strong bass/treble of the DT770, I prefer the more balanced sound.

Jan 29, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #9 of 17
On eBay there are lot of ear pads for the DT770, sold on eBay, cheaper ($10?) no name pads and name brand ones for around $35.
Changing the type of pad will change the sound of the headphones, up to you to decide if the change is good or bad.
I'm not really into the strong bass/treble of the DT770, I prefer the more balanced sound.
Well then, the plan will be to check how my Clouds sound and then go with the DT770s, I'll consider changing pads later.

Actually, I'm starting to have second thoughts on the sound card itself. If it's 22 Ohms, wouldn't it limit my choice for headphones now and in the future? Most models I've seen were sub-60 Ohms, or maybe I just haven't searched for higher. Maybe I should sell the Sound Blaster Z and look for another sound card? Are there any particular models that would be considered better for headphones?

Jan 29, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #10 of 17
Well then, the plan will be to check how my Clouds sound and then go with the DT770s, I'll consider changing pads later.

Actually, I'm starting to have second thoughts on the sound card itself. If it's 22 Ohms, wouldn't it limit my choice for headphones now and in the future? Most models I've seen were sub-60 Ohms, or maybe I just haven't searched for higher. Maybe I should sell the Sound Blaster Z and look for another sound card? Are there any particular models that would be considered better for headphones?
Sound Blaster X AE-5

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #12 of 17
Thanks for the recommendation again, PurpleAngel.

The X AE-5 is a good deal more expensive than the Z locally, though, is it a close matchup overall or is it a far superior model?
The SB-Z and AE-5 both use the same SoundCore3D audio processor,
the AE-5 has a better DAC chip and the AE-5's headphone jack has a very low output impedance.

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #13 of 17
The SB-Z and AE-5 both use the same SoundCore3D audio processor,
the AE-5 has a better DAC chip and the AE-5's headphone jack has a very low output impedance.
Do you think keeping the SB-Z and going for the 250-Ohm DT770 Pros would be a bad choice, compared to AE-5 with ATH-A900x / HD598CS for example? The second option would cost me over 100% more out the gate, without counting any funds I may be able to recover from selling the SB-Z. But even in a best case scenario, where I procure what it sells for at the store (somewhat unlikely), we're talking about 20% to 30% price difference.

As a person who has only used onboard audio all his life, I'm a little hesitant on splashing big on my first venture into audiophile territory.

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #14 of 17
Do you think keeping the SB-Z and going for the 250-Ohm DT770 Pros would be a bad choice, compared to AE-5 with ATH-A900x / HD598CS for example? The second option would cost me over 100% more out the gate, without counting any funds I may be able to recover from selling the SB-Z. But even in a best case scenario, where I procure what it sells for at the store (somewhat unlikely), we're talking about 20% to 30% price difference.As a person who has only used onboard audio all his life, I'm a little hesitant on splashing big on my first venture into audiophile territory.

Stay with the SB-Z and DT770, maybe later on try replacing the DT770 with the (250-Ohm) Beyerdynamic T70 or T90
Or the Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X (150-Ohm), it what I have on my ears right now :)
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones

The SB-Z is an over all nice sound card and it's usually better to spend more for a headphone, then the sound card that powers it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back