Audio Technica ATH- A700 broke, need advice on how to fix.
May 4, 2011 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jaggar

New Head-Fier
So basically i sat on my headphones and snapped the plastic connecting to the right ear. Are there any repair recommendations, or am i stuck with super glue and hope that it wont break again.

May 5, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #2 of 4
Deattach it, cut an identical length of metal to the part You need to fix from a metal sheet.
You can get an idea of this picture: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/438898/hd650-hd600-hd580-comfortable-uncomfortable-or-fractured/15#post_5921725

I wouldn't recommend to make too many holes in the plastic curve because it looks fragile. I would drill two holes on the cracked and on the remaining part and fix the metal curve inside. Use some metal glue which also good for plastic in between.
I hope You figure out what I wrote here. :)

Good luck

May 5, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 4
I ended up using some hardcore plastic epoxy. I hope that will hold for now. if this fails then I'll look more extensively into your brilliant link. Onto a more pressing matter, it would seem my right speaker now fluctuates in volume. I can effect it by moving around the ear and by pressing on the top band where the cable goes through. It would seem I damaged a cable and am off to located a DIY rewiring for the A700s. However with 2 problems one electrical one mechanical I'm not so sure it would be efficient to salvage these phones. Thoughts?

May 7, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 4
Depends on Your plan with the  A700s. If You want to buy new headphones You can still repair this for spare or comparing. In this case You can use cheap cable for repairing too.
If You want to keep this for daily use then sure it worths to repair it and think about as a veteran You had lots of enjoyment with. :)

Im almost sure the cable is only broken at the soldering so You can repair it easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back