Audio Technica ATH-900X -- another mini review...
Jan 26, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #16 of 29

Quote:
Nice review man.. I love my pair. I see what your saying about the pads. You figure for a $300 phone they would throw in some nicer less stiffer pads.

I was under the impression they were in the almost $300 range because everyone is getting them from Japan. Wouldn't these be closer to $235-$250 after they proliferate some more?

In other words, I think they're currently being compared to other cans somehwat unfairly because of the steep price of ownership RIGHT NOW. Then again maybe it's my AT fanboy nature showing itself.

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #17 of 29
I bought them for less than $300... even at <$200 that's no excuse for subpar earpads... This is the major 'con' for me... (the DT 770 Pro 80 pads are extremely nice... and they are cheaper so...)

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #18 of 29

Quote:
I bought them for less than $300... even at <$200 that's no excuse for subpar earpads... This is the major 'con' for me...

The old version had the same problem, not the same earpads but still so bad:frowning2: Strange from audio technica to still propose so bad earpads for A900 (x) series. Most of the manufacturers propose better earpads for the price.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #19 of 29
The description on Audiocubes says the A900x has "upgraded" pads that are the same as the A1000x. I wonder if the A2000x are the same? Imagine paying $500-600 for a headphone and getting those same pads. 
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #20 of 29

Quote:
The description on Audiocubes says the A900x has "upgraded" pads that are the same as the A1000x. I wonder if the A2000x are the same? Imagine paying $500-600 for a headphone and getting those same pads. 
confused_face%281%29.gif

I don't know the A1000x, but for 500-600$, the W1000x pads are much, much better than the a900x.

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #21 of 29
I hate being a bother OP, as I also have the A900x but not the SHR940s, do they have similar detail in all areas? Or does the SHR940s beat the A900x in everything when it comes to detail and accuracy? You stated that the SHR940s are mostly towards the analytical and cold side, don't know if you mean A900x is more of a musical side with no analytical aspects.

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #22 of 29

Quote:
I hate being a bother OP, as I also have the A900x but not the SHR940s, do they have similar detail in all areas? Or does the SHR940s beat the A900x in everything when it comes to detail and accuracy? You stated that the SHR940s are mostly towards the analytical and cold side, don't know if you mean A900x is more of a musical side with no analytical aspects.

Hello.
The A900X are definitely more "musical" (to my ears) than the 940s!
On some tracks the 940s sound just too harsh (especially with the latest music
on the air right now with their compressed sound and just lazy production!)
The 940s are definitely "treble-happy" and it is probably why it delivers a lot of clarity in
every song you pop into your mp3 player. Do they have similar detail in all areas?
No!
I still find the 940s the most detailed of all the cans I have, but thing is that this doesn't
necessarily make it a "fun" headphone.
It's weird because when I tried the KRKs (8400) I said the same thing I'm saying now about the 940s!!! lol!!

Still, I love acoustic and vocals still on the 940s.
The A900X are more of an all-rounder... every genre I have played has been good on it.

Now, are the AT's worth $250 to $300? My answer is definitely a NO!!!!!!

Just got the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro80 and although I'm not A/B'ing right now, just the comfortable level
is a HUGE step up from the A900X!!! Sound-wise it sounds similar!!! Main difference I'm hearing, highs are not
as lovely nor are the mids (less defined) but again, I paid $119 for these... a difference of 130+!!!!

I'll provide more updates once I get more time at home with these guys!

Hopefully I answered your question.
If not, let me know.

Thanks.

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #24 of 29

Quote:

Hello.
The A900X are definitely more "musical" (to my ears) than the 940s!
On some tracks the 940s sound just too harsh (especially with the latest music
on the air right now with their compressed sound and just lazy production!)
The 940s are definitely "treble-happy" and it is probably why it delivers a lot of clarity in
every song you pop into your mp3 player. Do they have similar detail in all areas?
No!
I still find the 940s the most detailed of all the cans I have, but thing is that this doesn't
necessarily make it a "fun" headphone.
It's weird because when I tried the KRKs (8400) I said the same thing I'm saying now about the 940s!!! lol!!

Still, I love acoustic and vocals still on the 940s.
The A900X are more of an all-rounder... every genre I have played has been good on it.

Now, are the AT's worth $250 to $300? My answer is definitely a NO!!!!!!

Just got the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro80 and although I'm not A/B'ing right now, just the comfortable level
is a HUGE step up from the A900X!!! Sound-wise it sounds similar!!! Main difference I'm hearing, highs are not
as lovely nor are the mids (less defined) but again, I paid $119 for these... a difference of 130+!!!!

I'll provide more updates once I get more time at home with these guys!

Hopefully I answered your question.
If not, let me know.

Thanks.

It definately helped, but why wouldn't detailed/analytical phones work on every genre? I mean...it's flat, it sounds EXACTLY like it should on live shows shouldn't it? That's what makes me kind of confused, and "fun" headphones may take away that realism from you. That's why I'm kind of having buyers remorse, as I do LOVE the a900x, I feel that the highs could have had more details, is it worth 300 dollars to me? Yes, after all the beats cost that much and it isn't worth it. Is the padding annoying? Nah, I'm used to it, way more comfortable than I imagined. The only bad thing I would say is the long cable on this headphone, but that's it. We're not being fair here though, it's not even in the USA, we can't say it is actually 300 dollars until they put it in the US with that price. NOW if it is 200 dollars, I think it'd be way more worth it. Glad you enjoy your Beyers, I hope you won't sell those a900xs! give it a bit more time, you'll get used to the pads, trust me.

You did, thank you and no problem.

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #25 of 29

I know sound is everything, but come on! I could recommend these with more enthusiasm if they were priced at $170 or something like that.

I live in Aus but have a friend in Japan who grabbed these for me the other day from Amazon Japan for $173 Aus . No postage though as she is a bringing them back to Australia for me in a couple of weeks . The US dollar is pretty weak at the moment but still less than $200 . The RRP in Australia is $400 ( $430US  !! ) and the cheapest online price within Aus is about $340Aus . I'd rather buy locally but I at half the price it's insanity .

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #26 of 29

Quote:
It definately helped, but why wouldn't detailed/analytical phones work on every genre? I mean...it's flat, it sounds EXACTLY like it should on live shows shouldn't it?  

Well... it's KIND OF flat... lol
(I still think the highs are too emphasized so to me it is not completely flat :wink:)

Having spent more time with the Beyer DT70s I actually like them.
They are warm and inviting and although I don't believe it touches the highs/mids of the A900X,
it is way more comfortable and pleasing... so... the ATs are going back to eBay! :p

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #27 of 29

Quote:
Well... it's KIND OF flat... lol
(I still think the highs are too emphasized so to me it is not completely flat :wink:)

Having spent more time with the Beyer DT70s I actually like them.
They are warm and inviting and although I don't believe it touches the highs/mids of the A900X,
it is way more comfortable and pleasing... so... the ATs are going back to eBay! :p

Oh well, I understand then! Thanks for the response. HOWEVER, DO get the ckm77s, they're almost every bit of the a900x, a bit more emphasized on mids and highs I think, MAYBE...or the same

Glad you're enjoying them, I hope you'll get those drivers loosened up to give it a full enjoyment. Glad you gave your take on that, no wonder you want to keep them, hahaha. Try the ckm77s in exchange for the a900x, it's not that different! Don't take my word for it though, just giving you a heads up.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #28 of 29
Thanks for the suggestion!

I think Dsnuts was raving about the ckm77s on one of his "in-ear" threads!
(or maybe it was another one? not sure, nutman buys way too much headphones! lol)

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #29 of 29

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion!

I think Dsnuts was raving about the ckm77s on one of his "in-ear" threads!
(or maybe it was another one? not sure, nutman buys way too much headphones! lol)

No problem, it definately is a true gem, and I don't know who you're talking about! It's just some whacko who loves to spend many phones to find out the right pick! XD haha, yes it's him =P, and now likes the cks77s, they have a lot of bass but with balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back