Audio Technica ATH-9000 Electret Condenser Stereophones
Jan 29, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #46 of 57
IMG_4671.JPG

I am enjoying ATH-9000, temporarily replaced my Staxes as a default option.

P. S. Anyone knows where to get schematics of ATH-80 driver?

Jul 6, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #47 of 57
IMG_4671.JPG

I am enjoying ATH-9000, temporarily replaced my Staxes as a default option.

P. S. Anyone knows where to get schematics of ATH-80 driver?
Sorry to necro this thread, wondering how would you compare ath-9000 to ath-80? I have the ath-8 which imo are pretty good, but unfortunately I prefer a more punchy bass (aka somewhat bloated bass lol), the info is pretty scarce about the ath-9000 but it seems like at least they have some punchiness?

Jul 6, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #48 of 57
Sorry to necro this thread, wondering how would you compare ath-9000 to ath-80? I have the ath-8 which imo are pretty good, but unfortunately I prefer a more punchy bass (aka somewhat bloated bass lol), the info is pretty scarce about the ath-9000 but it seems like at least they have some punchiness?

I think ATH-80 are better headphones, although ATH-9000 are definitely worth having as well. If your priority is more bass, you may find ATH-9000 a better match indeed.
By the way, if you can, get ATH-80 driver to use with all headphones. Driver is certainly the best one.

P. S. Can’t say anything on ATH-8, I only have their driver but not phones themselves, though from the specs they should be either identical or similar to ATH-80.

Jul 6, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #49 of 57
yeah ath-8(also signet tk33)should be pretty close to ath-80, they share the same chassis and same diaphragm thickness (2 micro) while ath80 supposed having higher maximum frequency range.

Jul 6, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #50 of 57
Jul 6, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #51 of 57
I think ATH-80 are better headphones, although ATH-9000 are definitely worth having as well. If your priority is more bass, you may find ATH-9000 a better match indeed.
By the way, if you can, get ATH-80 driver to use with all headphones. Driver is certainly the best one.

P. S. Can’t say anything on ATH-8, I only have their driver but not phones themselves, though from the specs they should be either identical or similar to ATH-80.
I don't know if this is too much to ask, but if you don't mind, can you do a more detailed comparison between ath 80 and ath 9000?

Jul 6, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #53 of 57
I don't know if this is too much to ask, but if you don't mind, can you do a more detailed comparison between ath 80 and ath 9000?

I am not really good with doing fancy audiophile-style descriptions LOL

I think ATH-80 is more resolving and sort of more Stax-like. It does not lack bass too, but ATH-9000 has an edge here (could be due to the different shape). ATH-9000 is somewhat closer to conventional headphones. ATH-80 is more interesting. Soundstage is not huge with either.

By the way, I do not use ATH-9000 with a native driver, everything is connected to ATH-80 driver.

Jul 6, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #54 of 57
I highly doubt transformer box can have impact on the driver technicalities but we can never be sure though.

It definitely can make difference. Say, ATH-7 sounds much better out of ATH-80 driver than from its native one.

Jul 6, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #55 of 57
I am not really good with doing fancy audiophile-style descriptions LOL

I think ATH-80 is more resolving and sort of more Stax-like. It does not lack bass too, but ATH-9000 has an edge here (could be due to the different shape). ATH-9000 is somewhat closer to conventional headphones. ATH-80 is more interesting. Soundstage is not huge with either.

By the way, I do not use ATH-9000 with a native driver, everything is connected to ATH-80 driver.
thanks a lot for the info lol, no need for fancy audiophile buzzword, your description are straight to the point.

Jul 7, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #56 of 57
thanks a lot for the info lol, no need for fancy audiophile buzzword, your description are straight to the point.

One more thing to add, ATH-80 driver requires a power supply (unlike ATH-8 and all the rest), but it is usually sold without it. What you need is DC 6V with minus in the center, which is sorta uncommon, but still available. (Alternatively, just get a wire/adaptor to reverse polarity.)
Yahoo Auctions have ATH-80 once in a while, you can order via Buyee from there. I also got a cheap linear power supply via them from Rakuten, Volset-631: https://buyee.jp/rakuten/detail/skynie:10002372 (I am not associated with either Buyee or Rakuten store)

Jul 7, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #57 of 57
It definitely can make difference. Say, ATH-7 sounds much better out of ATH-80 driver than from its native one.
yeah that's for sure, just like a blue hawii probably will be better at driving staxes than whatever stax adaptor boxes. But what I mean is you can't just change some transformer than the drivers can suddenly do
One more thing to add, ATH-80 driver requires a power supply (unlike ATH-8 and all the rest), but it is usually sold without it. What you need is DC 6V with minus in the center, which is sorta uncommon, but still available. (Alternatively, just get a wire/adaptor to reverse polarity.)
Yahoo Auctions have ATH-80 once in a while, you can order via Buyee from there. I also got a cheap linear power supply via them from Rakuten, Volset-631: https://buyee.jp/rakuten/detail/skynie:10002372 (I am not associated with either Buyee or Rakuten store)
As a weeb I am quite familiar with yahoo and some of its proxies, I use zenmarket more nowadays. Some Koss estats also have a dedicated power supply I think. Thank you for the info anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back