Audio-Technica AT-BHA100 & AT-DAC100
Feb 10, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #136 of 152
Oh I was wrong then about the tube being solder! That’s a wonderful news!

Also they went to the original JJ tubes due to its low noise. If the circuit is optimized and design for a particular brand of tube in mind, tube rolling may not improve any sound quality.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #137 of 152
Oh I was wrong then about the tube being solder! That’s a wonderful news!

Also they went to the original JJ tubes due to its low noise. If the circuit is optimized and design for a particular brand of tube in mind, tube rolling may not improve any sound quality.
I'm setting mine up for warranty as I may have issue with noisy tube/s on BAL chann and chann B.

Feb 10, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #138 of 152
Posting these here for easy reference..

[Experience] A brief introduction to AT-BHA100 tube replacement (ECC83 Big Golden Lion Golden Feet)​

Original post

First note
AT-BHA100 is much harder to pull out than AT-HA22 TUBE
If you have no experience, it is best to find an experienced store to do the work.
Otherwise it would be funny if you use your strength to produce miracles

Picture first

The tubes are paired

Genalex(GEC) gold pins Gold Lion ECC83

Original disassembly photo

Big golden lion in charge

Big golden lion on-camera photo

Tools required for pipe replacement:
A T9 hexagonal screwdriver and a small slotted screwdriver

Pulling method:

Use a flat-head screwdriver to slowly apply downward pressure on the red circle. Hold the base with your other hand and
slowly lift it up. Stand up on one side and switch to the other side.
Although there is a fixed base underneath, it would be funny if it flew out
So pull it out slowly

As for the listening experience, I just changed it last night and have a look.

First, warm it up for an hour as soon as you turn it on and then listen to it.
When I first turned on the sound, the bottom of the sound still sounded like the original tube (you read that right, the sound was very similar to the one I bought on the first day it was released)
The background is darker than the original tube, the control is better than the original tube, and the dynamic contrast is obviously better than the original tube.
But I can’t let go of my voice (I started talking nonsense)

After 10 hours, the treble part slowly comes out
But if the sound changes very quickly, it obviously needs to be run again (at least 200 hours or more).

In conclusion, the tube I changed this time has been a huge improvement for me.
Especially for the part where the ATH-AWAS treble cannot be played.

Finally, the retired AT-HA22 TUBE and tube

The order of the tubes is original tube>JJ gold feet>Tesla E88CC gold feet>Valvo ECC88 ((logo is Mullard shield)

Finally, the system + headset photo
The system is Teac UD-301+AT-BHA100 (DA will probably be replaced by Soekris dac2541/1541 in the future)
The headphones are ATH-AWAS+AD1000X

above

[Experience] The fever reduction system is completed: AWAS+AT-B1XA+ UD505 (+ Taste No. 1 Line) + AT-BHA100 (Telefunken ECC83)​

Original Post
First go to the system +AT-BHA100 and change the Telefunken ECC83 photo

Please refer to the tube replacement method: [Experience] A brief introduction to AT-BHA100 tube replacement (ECC83 Big Golden Lion Golden Feet)
And RE [Experience] Audio-Technica AT-BHA100 listening

Foreword:
In fact, the earliest upgrade plan was to upgrade the headset + system in January last year.
But plans can never keep up with changes
The original budget of 50K for the upgrade ended up being 150K (reversed)
The final system setting is:
Wall plug/row plug: Furutech FP-2R-20A+European standard cover+OH-T8B IV
PC> UD505 (+ Taste Line 1)> Balance>AT-BHA100 (Telefunken ECC83)>AWAS+AT-B1XA

Among them, UD505 is the earliest plan, but it is not the final and most important goal.
The original main target was DAC2541/1541
But due to shortage, it will not arrive until the end of February and production is discontinued.
Finally, after comparing UD505 and Chord Hugo 2 AB, I chose UD505+ Taste No. 1 Line

As for the sound performance of UD505, there are many opinions on the Internet, so I won’t go into details.
Only description for changing the taste of the No. 1 power cord.
The biggest change after connecting the power cord is that the sound field is larger, the outline is clearer, and the bass performance is better.
It can be said that the original one has nothing to do with it.
But it is not without its shortcomings. The original high-frequency overtones are much weaker.

Then compare AWAS+AT-B1XA/3.0 with the original balance line
Improved the sense of inconsistency between the original AWAS mid-frequency and high-frequency connections and the quality of the chassis.
In addition, the sound field and acoustics have been improved to a higher level, and the overall trend is towards Hi-Fi headphones.
Whether this change is good or not depends on the type of headphones one chooses.
Is the vocal used specifically for martial arts or for general use?

Then I put AT-BHA100+Telefunken ECC83 last because the changes are so different.
After replacing it with Telefunken, it was a complete transformation. It can be said that there is no shadow of the original at all.
The original AWAS single-ended + BHA100 original tube is a very warm and enveloping vocal weapon.

But after going to Telefunken, I first felt the extremely high frequency overtones.
The sound is crisp and clear, with excellent metal and string instruments, not much bass but excellent quality
The vocals are not close to the ears but are dense enough with a slight coloration, and the layers of the instruments are very obvious.

After 50 hours: the sound is noticeably softer and slightly warmer
Not quite like the sharper high frequencies when the sound is turned on

But it’s not without its shortcomings
The disadvantage is that flaws in song recording are easy to spot.
What's funny is that I can actually hear the layers of the songs recorded in "Light Pillar"
Then some songs will be full of dissonance (laughing)

Finally add a photo of AWAS+AT-B1XA/3.0

Feb 10, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #139 of 152
Have u upgraded the power supply as well?

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #141 of 152
I had a discussion with the owner of ECP audio several years ago about upgrading the tube on my ECP L3. He said that the L3 circuit is optimized and design around cheap but excellent sounding Russian tube. So he urge me from tube-rolling on this amp. Now I wonder if the same concept also applies to the BHA-100 amp.

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #142 of 152
I had a discussion with the owner of ECP audio several years ago about upgrading the tube on my ECP L3. He said that the L3 circuit is optimized and design around cheap but excellent sounding Russian tube. So he urge me from tube-rolling on this amp. Now I wonder if the same concept also applies to the BHA-100 amp.
Design and components on the BHA100 are pretty top shelf. Sticking with 12ax7/ECC83 should be pretty straight forward and from reading on what I linked/posted the tubes does change the sound. You can start with swapping just 2 tubes and can A/B them with the stock tube on the SE channels. What's also a bonus is you can adjust bias for each tube if you choose that route with other compatible tube other than 12ax7s/ECC83s.

Feb 10, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #143 of 152
Design and components on the BHA100 are pretty top shelf. Sticking with 12ax7/ECC83 should be pretty straight forward and from reading on what I linked/posted the tubes does change the sound. You can start with swapping just 2 tubes and can A/B them with the stock tube on the SE channels. What's also a bonus is you can adjust bias for each tube if you choose that route with other compatible tube other than 12ax7s/ECC83s.
So the bias is auto or require adjustment? Could u provide link to where you get the upgrade tube. Again, the sound is markup better with an upgrade PSU. I use iFi Audio Power Elite linear PSU with compatible DC tip for my BHA-100. Thanks for posting about this!

Feb 10, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #144 of 152
So the bias is auto or require adjustment? Could u provide link to where you get the upgrade tube. Again, the sound is markup better with an upgrade PSU. I use iFi Audio Power Elite linear PSU with compatible DC tip for my BHA-100. Thanks for posting about this!
No set bias optionslike the Sparkos Gemini, has to be manually dialed in. Bias adjustment only with compatible tubes outside the 12ax7 operational specs.

Feb 14, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #145 of 152
Hi all,

Just wanting to confirm that tube are interchangeable without too much trouble (they are not soldered).

Using a pry-pick or guitar pick can help with initial separation from the base. I tube rolled 4 sets in less than a minute :)

1707943573943.png

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 14, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #147 of 152
Which tube did you roll with?
Many years ago I had bought 4 RCA Mica Black Plate 12AX7's. They sound good in the BHA100, but I actually had decided years ago to shy away from NOS tubes, as I don't believe them to be as great as modern offerings for the premium costs. Just using them because I have them.

JAN tubes are worth more consideration if looking for high performance tubes, but again, I think modern tubes that are matched are all you need.

Tung-sol and Mullard are names I generally like. JJ is super reliable. Brimars can be nice too.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 14, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #148 of 152
Many years ago I had bought 4 RCA Mica Black Plate 12AX7's. They sound good in the BHA100, but I actually had decided years ago to shy away from NOS tubes, as I don't believe them to be as great as modern offerings for the premium costs. Just using them because I have them.

JAN tubes are worth more consideration if looking for high performance tubes, but again, I think modern tubes that are matched are all you need.

Tung-sol and Mullard are names I generally like. JJ is super reliable. Brimars can be nice too.
Can't wait to play around with tubes. It also looks like A/Bing tubes is easy on the BHA100 as you can use different tubes for chann A and 2 for chann B. Can you confirm this?

Apr 16, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #150 of 152
I'd like to replace the stock JJ tubes with Genelex Gold Lions. But since I never use the 6.3mm SE, I'd like to save some money and just swap out the 2 on the balanced channels.

How do I identify the 2 tubes I need to change?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back