Audio-Technica ART Monitor Series Refreshed: A2000Z, A1000Z, A900Z, A500Z
Jun 1, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #226 of 263
replying 2mths late, but I have both the a2000x and the a1000z. They are my favourites among the Art line. Last time I compared was a year ago but I’m familiar with their sound. Both are very similar sounding with A2000x having slightly more treble peak, extension and details. Brightness is like a sunny sheen without any grating sibilance. Both have immense clarity for closed cans, I might have felt that the A1000z had better mid bass presentation and warmth. Also with more rolled off and focused placement of treble than A2000x. The Beyer T1.2 which I had owned isn’t that energetic on the higher registers and tilted more to warmness than the ATHs, with wider sound field, imaging and accuracy. It does not have the magical coloration and unique sparkle of both closed cans though.

Hearing the A900x 8 years ago got me started this journey:) I remembered how the details of A1000x opened up my undiscerning basshead ears, made my jaws dropped on first listen, and left me a lingering impression to this date. Generally the Art series have a very authentic, alluring tuning, beautiful integration of highs, high-mids with inoffensive bass which I had grown to appreciate. Don’t think you can find anything better at this price range if u like this unique tuning for closed cans
How do you find A1000Z drum impact compared to A2000X, how are A2000X and a1000z in drum impact compared to other headphones? I would say bass impact but is not exactly what I want to know lol

Sep 14, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #227 of 263
A900z was beaautifulness relax Aquatic sounding, focus on happiness of mid-range female vocal, to mellow deep bass of kidnly hope~ to the above water the sky high frequency of beautiful dreamer, this Undine Goddess will made you become a man which care of true happiness from the very soul~

also worth to notice that soundstage was aquarious spacious. I keep this headphone for so long now 5 year alongside my True Masterpiece the Sony MDR7506

Jan 16, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #228 of 263
I know that the a1000z aren’t very popular around these parts but I was wondering if someone could clue me in on how they compare to the dt 1990s? I was looking for a pair of brighter leaning cans to complement my m1070s and had my mind set on the beyerdynamics, but then I came across a decent offer on a pair of used a1000z.
I’m mostly looking to confirm that they offer comparable levels of sq since both cans are priced similarly where I live.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #229 of 263
I know that the a1000z aren’t very popular around these parts but I was wondering if someone could clue me in on how they compare to the dt 1990s? I was looking for a pair of brighter leaning cans to complement my m1070s and had my mind set on the beyerdynamics, but then I came across a decent offer on a pair of used a1000z.
I’m mostly looking to confirm that they offer comparable level of sq since both cans are priced similarly where I live.
For a brighter set of headphones I really liked the A1000Z. They have good detail and vocal presentation. I found them bright, but not sibilant or harsh. If the price is right I'd say go for it.

Jan 17, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #230 of 263
For a brighter set of headphones I really liked the A1000Z. They have good detail and vocal presentation. I found them bright, but not sibilant or harsh. If the price is right I'd say go for it.

Thanks! While I fell in love with the m1070s, they are a far cry from the slightly dark, mostly neutral, allrounder other headfiers presented them as. With the right track they can absolutely enchant you with their mids, but I listen to a lot of contemporary jazz and experimental music. An eardrum piercing saxophone solo just doesn't work when the highs are dulled and muted.

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #231 of 263

Songs like this.
I found that my modded AD2000X had more impacts in the drums hit by the stick(not bass drum) compared to my A1000Z.
A1000Z had more bass but my modded ad2000x had stronger slam on those sounds while A1000Z was "softer" there in impact.
A2000Z fixes that, A2000Z has bigger impact (and seems faster) in those kind of sounds.
Also A2000Z is more "smooth" in treble refinement compared to A1000Z, A1000Z has less treble quantity but sounds more rough at the treble
Edit,(Nope maybe not at all, 2000Z has some treble problems with cymbals being the most problematic, other treble instruments sounds good)

A2000Z is better with bass guitar

Soundstage size is similar between both.

Sometimes A1000Z can sound bassier due to the above reasons.
If you Like female vocals I would recommend A2000Z for being generally better.

A2000z is somewhat more forward in the highest part of upper mids, A1000Z still has a boost there but not as boosted as A2000Z at the highest parts.
Basically A2000Z has the same bass extension than A1000Z but since upper mids and treble are more forward it can sound more thin . but that does not mean that it does not have bass.

Its funny sometimes they sound VERY similar there.

I was searching for a closed headphone that was at similar level to my modded ad2000x, A1000Z was very good but it did not really was on par, even with mods.
A2000Z has a little cleaner sound has better dynamics, more detail, better female vocals( if you EQ a1000z you can get better female vocals over stock a1000z, It takes MIDS eq very well but not bass EQ from my experience, if you try to give them Subbass they will not respond as well, it's almost like it does not work , I don't say that a2000z takes bass eq well, I have not tried them with that).

Imaging ( specifically speaking of movement of sounds, placement of sounds( I Want to point that this a different thing to the "movements of sounds" thing) is similar, both have pinpointing imaging) is better sometimes, it shows more movements of sounds.
Edit: This has a secret explanation lol.
______
They are similar but they are different(lol) , Sometimes A1000Z can sound more bassy , sometimes both sound similar in bass quantity, and sometimes A2000Z shows that it can give a better punch at the bass, Which is suprising, I don't expected this at all , I have modded A1000Z with different things (I even tried the famous dynamat) and when I listened to A2000Z it was a: "well A1000Z does not do this", a2000z is the more capable headphone at the end, it has a better driver.

I did MUCH more testing and I learned lots of things lol.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #232 of 263
=).
I have tested both HARD.
If we take in count the a2000z I have:
Tyll is WRONG.
He said a2000z had fake detail due to resonances.
Then a lot of people repeated it when trying the headphone like if it was a Domino Effect.
People don't even tried the headphone well and shi tted A2000Z.

Before doing this I listened to open A1000Z( NO CUPS)

And they were as detailed as with the cups.

I already knew what was going to happen but I did it anyway,open A2000Z was as detailed as with the cups.

A1000z and a2000z cups have some differences in sound,but not big.
But both are fine, if there are resonance problems that IS NOT DUE TO THE CUP MATERIAL.

I have listened to A2000z with the 2 1000Z cups and it sounded fine, then 1000z and the same result.

I Also Have an AKG K553 MK II which is an improved version of the 550 tyll seemed to like.
And A1000Z has better refinement/control of vocals and better bass control/less distortion.
And then I can tell you A2000z treble is better than a1000z.
Something was really wrong with tyll.
Or maybe it was his gear, the pads, or something there and not really his fault.
Yeah this image is not Photoshop

Attachments

• IMG_20210226_181531.jpg
    IMG_20210226_181531.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 19, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #233 of 263
I really feel like A990z(A900z in Japan) was downgraded to A900x in sonic performance (much less colored flashy forward sweet mid-treble, more muddy tone)

but well A900z was headphone that's turn me into artist so it was still fine good headphone (still A1000z might be better choice)

Apr 23, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #234 of 263
Hi, folks!) I have Audio-Technica AD2000X and use this with Creative SoundBlaster AE-5 in my PC.

Bundle is really great for regular usage: music, games, movie. This is my first setup to fly off from integrated audio stuff and other s..t!)
I listened this bundle in my frined's home. Impressions was high! And then i bought it all.

Audio-Technica "Japan Audio Serve" is amazing, soundstage is big, midrange is smooth, bass is assembled, but his not big exactly, treble is really bright.
I know audio source is important, maybe if i had some other stuff sound would be different, but AE-5 is very good soundcard.
In the future i will plan to buy desktop DAC+Amplifer and upgrade my AE-5 to AE-9 (not sure).

And now i have some issue... Do i make a right mind to buy Audio-Technica A990Z or A1000Z or A2000Z?
Because i want to try closed version of this amazing headphones. And i read some reviews where A990Z is more universal for regular usage (music, games, video) and
A1000Z, and A2000Z is very closed models, but more musical. I think AD2000X is very musical.

A lot of people said forget about closed models, sound will be like from the "barrel". And now I'm here :)
I Would really aprecciate your help, words, advice to make a right choice. Thank you)

Apr 23, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #235 of 263
Hi, folks!) I have Audio-Technica AD2000X and use this with Creative SoundBlaster AE-5 in my PC.

Bundle is really great for regular usage: music, games, movie. This is my first setup to fly off from integrated audio stuff and other s..t!)
I listened this bundle in my frined's home. Impressions was high! And then i bought it all.

Audio-Technica "Japan Audio Serve" is amazing, soundstage is big, midrange is smooth, bass is assembled, but his not big exactly, treble is really bright.
I know audio source is important, maybe if i had some other stuff sound would be different, but AE-5 is very good soundcard.
In the future i will plan to buy desktop DAC+Amplifer and upgrade my AE-5 to AE-9 (not sure).

And now i have some issue... Do i make a right mind to buy Audio-Technica A990Z or A1000Z or A2000Z?
Because i want to try closed version of this amazing headphones. And i read some reviews where A990Z is more universal for regular usage (music, games, video) and
A1000Z, and A2000Z is very closed models, but more musical. I think AD2000X is very musical.

A lot of people said forget about closed models, sound will be like from the "barrel". And now I'm here :)
I Would really aprecciate your help, words, advice to make a right choice. Thank you)
I have AD900X, AD2000X A1000Z And A2000Z.

Closest to AD2000X is A2000Z due to the better treble, A1000Z is very good itself.

A1000z or a2000z are good choices.
I prefer a1000z in some songs and a2000z in others.
Generally female vocals are better with 2000z.

That does not mean 1000z is bad.
The way to explain could be that the AT AD shines with female vocals almost always.

A1000z also excels there ( and sometimes I like more their vocals compared to ad2000x) but there are some vocals that sounds good but not as good as the AD, A2000Z is closest to the AD in vocals, you will not be missing those cases in where you say " well it sounds good but not as good as the AD" be aware that it is ONLY in some cases , both a1000z and a2000z have similar mids to the AD but not the same, and sometimes I prefer more the vocal presentation of the ART line since if I had to describe AD2000X "vocal color" in some songs it is like.a brown color, and A1000Z is more like a clear blue, probably because A1000Z and A2000Z have a 2KHZ elevation that is bigger than the 1000z/2000z 4khz elevation, AD series have a dip around 2khz and a peak around 4khz, which may cause this difference.

This does not mean you will enjoy more a2000z compared to a1000z.
Both are very good choices, they are somewhat similar in mids, just some songs point the differences lol.

Detail retrieval difference is not big, stage size almost the same, yeah cups sound different.

Both are good choices, but depending in your tastes you could prefer one or another.

I don't think you will find a better "closed version" of the Air dynamic series.

I have not tried A990Z but some people say it is a notable downgrade compared to 1000z and 2000z, and that is somewhat muddy lol.

I only have AD900X and it fails at bass, resolution is lower than the 4 digit series, it has bigger stage size than the other ones, but the imaging is not as good( I would say blurry in comparison) , sometimes you cannot pinpoint sounds, sometimes instrumental separation fails and sounds congested, A1000Z, 2000Z and a2000x have pinpoint imaging and better instrumental separation.

A990z should be more around 900x level, so you will miss some things compared to the 4 digit AD/ART

I would go for A1000Z or A2000Z since you already have AD2000X and you could find a990z it is not on par with 2000x .

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #236 of 263

I have owned all three at the same time. Skip the A990Z, it doesn't sound anything like the A1/2000Z. It's less clear and has a darker sound.

Regarding the A1000Z or A2000Z, the differences in sound IMO are so small that you can just get the color you like best or let price decide.

They are both detailed and clear sounding headphones with good stage and imaging. They don't sound like you are listening inside a barrel. Bass is somewhat light, but mids and highs are very present.

Apr 24, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #237 of 263
Josz27, Magol79, Thanks a lot, took that.

So what is the principal difference between AD2000X and A2000Z (A1000Z) ?
I mean, will i be able to hear difference in sound when i playing games, listening music?

Well, do i have any reasons to buy closed version of AD2000X if "sound color" pretty sure the same :) ?

I wanna try some new "soundstage". Definitely i won't to have 2 pairs of identical headphones :)

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #238 of 263
Josz27, Magol79, Thanks a lot, took that.

So what is the principal difference between AD2000X and A2000Z (A1000Z) ?
I mean, will i be able to hear difference in sound when i playing games, listening music?

Well, do i have any reasons to buy closed version of AD2000X if "sound color" pretty sure the same :) ?

I wanna try some new "soundstage". Definitely i won't to have 2 pairs of identical headphones :)
They sound different, not the same for sure.
I enjoy the differences between ad2000x and 2000z/1000z.
Hard to explain, it would be redundant but the Air line can sound more "open", ART line sound "open" for a closed back but they are not really open, I mean they are much more airy than a senn hd6x0 series but I think there is no closed headphone that REALLY sounds like an open back.

I have the AKG K553 Mk II and they have very wide stage, but also they don't sound really like an open back.

Open backs usually have some advantages.

Those advantages have to do with the acoustics of sounds, they don't have to mess with resonances and generally sound more natural.

People usually buy closed backs over open backs due to isolation and no sound leakage.

There are quiet passages in games/ series that will be more noticeable when using a closed back due to the isolation, like the sound of a fan , quiet sounds

If you expect exactly same sound but closed :nope, they are similar since they both AD and 1000z/2000z have forward upper mids, excel at female vocals, good treble, good imaging/separation

They are like the "closest" thing to the AD sound speaking of closed headphones but not the same.

Soundstage sounds somewhat similar but not the same lol.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #239 of 263
They sound different, not the same for sure.
I enjoy the differences between ad2000x and 2000z/1000z.
Hard to explain, it would be redundant but the Air line can sound more "open", ART line sound "open" for a closed back but they are not really open, I mean they are much more airy than a senn hd6x0 series but I think there is no closed headphone that REALLY sounds like an open back.

I have the AKG K553 Mk II and they have very wide stage, but also they don't sound really like an open back.

Open backs usually have some advantages.

Those advantages have to do with the acoustics of sounds, they don't have to mess with resonances and generally sound more natural.

People usually buy closed backs over open backs due to isolation and no sound leakage.

There are quiet passages in games/ series that will be more noticeable when using a closed back due to the isolation, like the sound of a fan , quiet sounds

If you expect exactly same sound but closed :nope, they are similar since they both AD and 1000z/2000z have forward upper mids, excel at female vocals, good treble, good imaging/separation

They are like the "closest" thing to the AD sound speaking of closed headphones but not the same.

Soundstage sounds somewhat similar but not the same lol.
Thank you! Well, i have to buy and try)

May 6, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #240 of 263
any pads that works well with the a2000z? bought a second hand pair but not entirely sure if the pads had been flatten over the years from storage (which the previous owner did by putting it on a headphone stand) so it fits kinda wonky and not sealing properly..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back