Audio Technica AH-M50x vs Philips Fidelio L1 vs Something Else
May 15, 2014 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Andre Malherbe

New Head-Fier
Hi guys I'm pretty new to the world of headphones so I appreciate any help you could give me!

I am a student on a fairly small budget (around $160, but less would be better) looking for a set of headphones mainly for desktop use without an amp and maybe a little bit of traveling, and had my sights set on the M50xs which are right at the limit for my budget.

Obviously I would like something with the best sound quality possible for the price, more specifically something that will play acoustic/classical well, so preferably with tight, extended but not necessarily accentuated bass, good accuracy and clean highs. My studies and part-time job as a wedding photographer require me to spend hours a day on my computer, so they need to be very comfortable for extended listening periods. This goes for sound too, although generally speaking I am leaning towards accurate and neutral, it's more important that they be easy and fun to listen to for long periods.

It's also important to me that they be durable, I've had a lot of problems before with fraying cables so I'm a big fan of detachable cables. I had been looking at the Sony MDR-7506s before but the lack of interchangeable cables and flimsy ear pads put me off, besides most reviews saying that the M50s sounded better.

I've just discovered though that I could get the Philips Fidelio L1s on discount for even a little less than the M50xs. I really like the look of them and Tyll Hertsens highly recommends them on his site, so I started wondering, will the semi-open design make a big improvement in sound quality for mostly acoustic and classical? Are the differences in isolation big enough to not recommend the L1's for travel? If anyone has experience with both of them please let me know.

I have had a look at a few others but generally the ones that seem to fit are $200 and up, and I'm already stretching my budget as it is... of course any other recommendations at lower prices would be welcome!

May 15, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 22
There is no way you can use open headphones for any traveling. You won't be able to use the  l1s for traveling.
Some other headphones you should check out:
Donscorpio dolphin
NVX XPT100
KAM HP-1

May 15, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 22
There is no way you can use open headphones for any traveling. You won't be able to use the  l1s for traveling.
Some other headphones you should check out:
Donscorpio dolphin
NVX XPT100
KAM HP-1

Dolphins are 18 ohm, making them a bit difficult to drive. So they may or may not do very well with some devices. But definitely a good deal for the price. They do work very well with the Sansa Clip+ and Clip Zip that I have.

NVX are the same cups/drivers (same sound) as the Brainwavz HM5 and Fisher FA-003 (one company makes them and they are rebranded for different sellers). Great deal for those at $80. See these two discussion threads:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/491632/review-fischer-audio-fa-003-a-neutral-champ
http://www.head-fi.org/t/585281/review-brainwavz-hm5-a-new-neutral-champ

If the M50X are at the limit of your budget, consider the M50s instead. It's the same driver/similar sound. They are pretty hardy headphones. I personally wouldn't worry about detachable cables. And I agree. I like the M50s better than the Sony V6s (which are very, very similar to the 7506, apparently).

May 15, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 22
Dolphins are 18 ohm, making them a bit difficult to drive. So they may or may not do very well with some devices. But definitely a good deal for the price. They do work very well with the Sansa Clip+ and Clip Zip that I have.

NVX are the same cups/drivers (same sound) as the Brainwavz HM5 and Fisher FA-003 (one company makes them and they are rebranded for different sellers). Great deal for those at $80. See these two discussion threads:

If the M50X are at the limit of your budget, consider the M50s instead. It's the same driver/similar sound. They are pretty hardy headphones. I personally wouldn't worry about detachable cables. And I agree. I like the M50s better than the Sony V6s (which are very, very similar to the 7506, apparently).

Are you talking about electrical damping factor?
If so, theres some measurements of the output impedence of a few devices
http://www.head-fi.org/t/631155/iphone-5-thorough-measurements

May 15, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 22
Thanks for your recommendations. I had thought that since the L1s were only semi-open it wouldn't be as much of an issue... But I do need good isolation, so I'll stick to closed for now.

I can't find much information on the dolphins or the HP-1, do you know anything more about them? I have been looking at the XPT-100s, so far it's looking like the best option!

May 15, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 22

I do need something less dependant on the source as I generally won't have an amp to drive them. It's one of the reasons I was gravitating towards the M50s. Have you heard both the NVX and the M50s? How do they compare? Thank you for the help!

May 15, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 22
Thanks for your recommendations. I had thought that since the L1s were only semi-open it wouldn't be as much of an issue... But I do need good isolation, so I'll stick to closed for now.

I can't find much information on the dolphins or the HP-1, do you know anything more about them? I have been looking at the XPT-100s, so far it's looking like the best option!

Lol cel
Thats your cue
No reaction??? I'm disappointed.

May 15, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 22
I do need something less dependant on the source as I generally won't have an amp to drive them. It's one of the reasons I was gravitating towards the M50s. Have you heard both the NVX and the M50s? How do they compare? Thank you for the help!

My son has the NVX--I gave them as a gift to him--and I have not had a chance to hear them yet. But based on the all the happy people who bought them for $125 or more as Brainwavz HM5 and Fisher FA-003, they definitely would be a good value at $80. And my son has been happy, too :)

If you go in the HM5 or FA-003 thread and search for M50, I'm sure you'd find some comparisons given how popular the M50s are. Or you can ask in those threads as well.

What I like about the Dolphins vs. the M50s are lighter weight/smaller. A touch more comfortable, better soundstage, and less upper mid bass emphasis. Most of the discussion about them is in the Chinese/Asian brand thread (you can search for Dolphin). I ended up doing this simple mod of removing the tape/foam that covers half the driver, which made the soundstage even better.

Depending on what devices you use them with, the Dolphins could be just fine.

May 15, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #11 of 22
May 16, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #12 of 22
Thanks to everyone for their recommendations! I've decided to try out the XPT-100s, if it's too expensive to have them shipped internationally (UK) I'll go for the M50s (Dolphins look nice but don't know much about them and not sure about the effect of driving them with a high impedance source).

This was my first post, thanks again for all the comments!

May 16, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #13 of 22
Thanks to everyone for their recommendations! I've decided to try out the XPT-100s, if it's too expensive to have them shipped internationally (UK) I'll go for the M50s (Dolphins look nice but don't know much about them and not sure about the effect of driving them with a high impedance source).

This was my first post, thanks again for all the comments!

Before you buy, check the LINDY HF-100. Same as the Brainwavz HM5. Looks like they only have one more left in stock.

May 16, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #15 of 22
Awesome! I'm glad you found something to fit your budget :)

Once you get them, come back and post your impressions. It's helpful if someone else searches the site to learn about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back