Audio-Technica AD700 vs Sennheiser HD595
Aug 31, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course. I completely agree. And yet, it just seems wrong. Know what I mean?

Yes, I know; preferring lower priced headphones seems wrong to many. Many equate higher prices to "better", when better is actually what an individual prefers, and that's regardless of pricing set by manufacturers.

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #17 of 22
I don't think that's the issue here as much as the fact that the HD555 is on the same price level as the AD700, but is easily modified to HD595.

Moot point, however, as the OP already bought his headphones.

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think that's the issue here as much as the fact that the HD555 is on the same price level as the AD700, but is easily modified to HD595.

Moot point, however, as the OP already bought his headphones.

Not so moot, as this thread has lots of good info ready and waiting for the benefit of others.

Aug 31, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Of course. I completely agree. And yet, it just seems wrong. Know what I mean?

I used to feel that way too (BTW I think it's pretty obvious you're also Bengt77 from MacRumors, great seeing you over here!). But not anymore, specially in the couple of threads that made me realize that the HD555 and the 595 are the same headphone and price differentiation is a big factor between them (although it's not crazy by any means to buy the 595, they have a better headband, are somewhat prettier, and they come with the great Senn holder, and you don't have to mod them like the 555). As a matter of fact, as time goes by and I try more and more headphones I seem to lose credibility in price as a medium to see the quality of things (I'm not saying it's useless, but it's not far from reality to reach to conclusions like a $500 phone being prefered over a $1000 phone, disregard less of price). I've seen how its amazing that people equate quality to price (Bose comes to mind).

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Strummer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(BTW I think it's pretty obvious you're also Bengt77 from MacRumors, great seeing you over here!)

Yeah, that's me alright. Good seeing you here.
smile.gif

Quote:

As a matter of fact, as time goes by and I try more and more headphones I seem to lose credibility in price as a medium to see the quality of things (I'm not saying it's useless, but it's not far from reality to reach to conclusions like a $500 phone being prefered over a $1000 phone, disregard less of price). I've seen how its amazing that people equate quality to price (Bose comes to mind).

You're absolutely right, of course. Although that's not to say that there will probably be a far greater difference between an $80 headphone (AD700) and a $200 headphone (HD595) than there will be between $500 and $1000 headphones. Of course, $80 is not the list price for the Audio-Technica, but I still think it's a fair point. I would have been perfectly fine with anybody asking for a comparison between, say, the AD2000 and the HD650. Even though the Audio-Technica is more expensive, it's nowhere near certain it's a better headphone than the Sennheiser.

I guess what I'm trying to explain is that once you cross a certain cost threshold, price doesn't mean that much anymore. Below said threshold, though, it probably does. In my opinion.

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Yeah, that's me alright. Good seeing you here.
smile.gif

You're absolutely right, of course. Although that's not to say that there will probably be a far greater difference between an $80 headphone (AD700) and a $200 headphone (HD595) than there will be between $500 and $1000 headphones. Of course, $80 is not the list price for the Audio-Technica, but I still think it's a fair point. I would have been perfectly fine with anybody asking for a comparison between, say, the AD2000 and the HD650. Even though the Audio-Technica is more expensive, it's nowhere near certain it's a better headphone than the Sennheiser.

I guess what I'm trying to explain is that once you cross a certain cost threshold, price doesn't mean that much anymore. Below said threshold, though, it probably does. In my opinion.

Now that you put it this way, I think I completely agree with you, in that below that threshold it is more indicative than above that threshold. I haven't listened a lot to the AD700 so I don't know how much difference between them and the AD900 is, but I think that the 595 and the AD900 are quite comparable (I'm a 595 advocate and prefer them, I really think they've been underrated in head-fi lately), which makes them comparable to modded 555. If it was my first time buying good headphones I'd buy the 595 (now in my situation where I want another 595 pair as a backup I'll buy and mod the 555 (the stock 555 don't sound too good to me)) if choosing the Senn route.

Now to the OP, congrats on the 595! They particularly shine in gaming (even though I know have the 650, I prefer the 595 for gaming). The soundstage they produce is spot on for gaming needs, for example in shooters like halo 3 or games like Assassin's creed where a couple of times they creeped me out when I thought someone was literally behind me.

Sep 5, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #22 of 22
Finally got my phones today! I can say that, with a little bit of tweaking, these headphones fulfill all my needs.
biggrin.gif
Positional audio in these are second to none, and increasing the dB makes the bass in these much better than I had imagined.

I really appreciate all the recommendations for this headphone. And I suppose they will get better as time goes by because of burn in.
tongue.gif

P.S. Are there any useful links for burn in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back