Audio-Technica AD700 vs Sennheiser HD595
Aug 30, 2009 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Ford[S]

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a headset for music and gaming. Needs to have a good amount of bass, and a good soundstage.

I'm no audiophile, the most expensive headset I've had were a pair of SteelSeries Siberias.

Thanks and thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif
Budget is around £120.
beerchug.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 22
I've only used the HD595, so that's all I can comment on.

The 595's are the most forward sounding of the Sennheiser line, almost Grado-like in sound. They have a fairly good soundstage, not as good as 600/650s, but quite good for their price.

What I did find, is that they are awesome for gaming. They are exceptional for pinpointing noises, footsteps, etc. I tried my 650s w/ CS and other games and found them to be very muffled and didn't have the ability to locate details like the 595 can.

I pretty much gave up using speakers for gaming, and stick exclusively to the 595 with any console games I play(CoD4 mainly).

As for music, they have a pretty good balanced sound signature, little lacking on the bass for my tastes, but highs and mids are pretty good.

Here are a couple other threads relating to this subject:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sen...ad700s-411213/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/aud...-hd595-259650/

Aug 30, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 22
What soundcard or console are you using for gaming? That would affect any recommendation I'd be likely to make.

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 22
Thanks for the input guys. I've ordered myself a pair of Sennheiser HD595's. Prefer the look and I hear they perform much better in games.

I just hope they're better than my current SteelSeries Siberias.

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input guys. I've ordered myself a pair of Sennheiser HD595's. Prefer the look and I hear they perform much better in games.

I just hope they're better than my current SteelSeries Siberias.

Congratulations on your upcoming 595's. Well, I was hoping you just bought the 555's and mod it to make it like 595's. Both have the same drivers but the 555 has some piece of foam you can easily take off to improve the sound.

Oh well, congrats again on your HD 595's.

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #10 of 22
I think you'll be very happy with the 595--one of my all-time favourite phones. As for the modding comment above, it's not as straightforward as some would have you believe and unless you feel confident taking new headphones apart and possibly voiding the warranty, it's not really practicable. I think you've done the right thing.

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #12 of 22
I got my HD595s for much the same reasons as you did, and with a headphone amplifier they perform spectacularly well. i use them for both music and gaming, and am very happy with both.

one note of warning, the bass on mine sounded a little bit muddy for the first few weeks i had em, but as skeptical as i was of "burn in" it honestly seemed to help. all i can tell ya is that they keep getting better the longer i have them.

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #13 of 22
Sure, you've already ordered the HD595, but I wanted to chime in here. First, let me state that I've never heard either headphone (neither the HD595, nor the AD700), but a comparison between them seems like an insult to the Sennheiser. I'm not a Sennheiser fan at all (I am a bit of an Audio-Technica fan, by the way), but it's just harsh, I think, to even think about putting the HD595 and the AD700 on the same level. When I first looked into the AD900, they were compared to the HD595 all over the place. When was the AD700 suddenly pulled up to the AD900's level? That's just not right. It's my impression that both the HD595 and the AD900 are on a whole other level.

There. I'm glad that's out.

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, you've already ordered the HD595, but I wanted to chime in here. First, let me state that I've never heard either headphone (neither the HD595, nor the AD700), but a comparison between them seems like an insult to the Sennheiser. I'm not a Sennheiser fan at all (I am a bit of an Audio-Technica fan, by the way), but it's just harsh, I think, to even think about putting the HD595 and the AD700 on the same level. When I first looked into the AD900, they were compared to the HD595 all over the place. When was the AD700 suddenly pulled up to the AD900's level? That's just not right. It's my impression that both the HD595 and the AD900 are on a whole other level.

There. I'm glad that's out.

A comparison of these two (or any two) headphones has nothing to do with either being on a higher or lower level. It has to do with preference, synergy, and utility (see my signature). So what does this mean? It means someone easily could prefer $35 headphones to $350 headphones depending on what the headphones are used for, the fit / comfort of the headphones, what the headphones are plugged into, and simply preferring the sound of one over another. And there's nothing wrong with preferring either, $35 headphones vs $350 headphones, or the HD595 vs AD700.

I owned and used the HD595 (from an H/K receiver) and the AD700 from an XS71 sound card at different times. And I easily would re-purchase the HD595 (or HD555) before the AD700 for practically every comparative reason. However, that hardly means others should prefer the HD595 / HD555 to the AD700. Many do prefer the AD700, no problem... happy listening.

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #15 of 22
Of course. I completely agree. And yet, it just seems wrong. Know what I mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back