Audio Technica AD500's?
Jun 11, 2006 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Funky_Junk

New Head-Fier
First off, I've heard tons of recommendations for these headphones (AUdio Technica AD500's) within these and other forums as far as their gaming capabilities go. But I was wondering what is the quality of their music playback?

Also, Ive never bought open headphones before, and its not that I cant have any leaking sound, I just dont want people to be able to listen to what Im listening to. Lets say Im playing a video game, while people 10 feet away from me hear just loud noises or will they actually be able to decipher the dialouge between the characters?

Lastly, Im going to be using these headphones on my computer. Right now I have onboard sound, but what would increase my sound quality more: a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS soundcard, or a $30ish dollar headphone amp?

Thanks for answering all of my noobish questions.

Jun 11, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky_Junk
First off, I've heard tons of recommendations for these headphones (AUdio Technica AD500's) within these and other forums as far as their gaming capabilities go. But I was wondering what is the quality of their music playback?

Also, Ive never bought open headphones before, and its not that I cant have any leaking sound, I just dont want people to be able to listen to what Im listening to. Lets say Im playing a video game, while people 10 feet away from me hear just loud noises or will they actually be able to decipher the dialouge between the characters?

Lastly, Im going to be using these headphones on my computer. Right now I have onboard sound, but what would increase my sound quality more: a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS soundcard, or a $30ish dollar headphone amp?

Thanks for answering all of my noobish questions.

AD500's are not having as much love here for gaming and all IMO.

Jun 11, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 16
The headphone that I think you are referring to is the A500 not the AD500, the latter of which is an open series headphone. The AD's don't have too many users on these forums from what I've seen. I have the AD900, which I love for certain kinds of gaming (MMORPG), the soundstage they create is incredible. I've tried out the AKG K701, and it does it even better than that IMHO.

Also yes, they are open, and they leak, quite a lot in fact. If you turn it up enough, it's almost like having mini speakers. That being said, they run great just out of my sound out; I tried it out with a headsave classic, and the benefits or gains were extremely minimal to me.

Soundstage, instrument seperation is great, but something these phones lack, esp for some gaming is that boomy enveloping bass. Bass on my AD's I can best describe and a bit on the lean side but accurate. It's more a bass you can hear rather than have a visceral feeling of. Aside from that I've been trying different phones and these have been and continue to be for now, a point of reference for me ( Yes you flamers
tongue.gif
I said it, reference; it is to me anyways)

That being said, I have an A900LTD on the way
very_evil_smiley.gif
let's see how that fares..

Jun 11, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 16
i think he might mean the audio technica ath a-500?

yes i also love my AD700s they're such wide natural soundstage. bass is adequate and balanced i feel. vocals are just smooooth like i mentioned in the ad700 thread they're great chillout phones - very comfy and lightweight too!

Jun 11, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Im talking about these headphones:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/he...498/index.html

Hmm I haven't read too many posts recommending the AD500 for gaming purposes IIRC; it mostly is the A500 that is recommended. Going by my AD900, I would say the AD500 would do music better than it does most type of games, just for the bass factor, ie; I doubt the AD500 will have enough bass esp. for FPS type of games (Unreal, Quake etc. ) Now I play WoW more extensively than anything else, and for that genre (MMORPG) and perhaps certain other kinds of RPG type of games, IMO an immersive soundstage in tantamount, which I think the AD500 might do pretty good. So I guess it would be based on your particular gaming needs. But I think overall that particular can, the AD500 hasn't been recommended as much as the A500 in the budget all round category for music/gaming.

One thing's for sure you won't get 'OMGZ TEH EXPLOSIONSSS111!!1111' effect from the AD500.

Jun 11, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

What would you recommend in the sub $80 for good gaming bass and good music performance? Also, should I get an amp or a soundcard?

If you can stretch your budget a bit, you can pick up the Audio technica A500. I think you can get it for around 105 shipped from audio cubes. Alternatively you can pick one up from the FS forums; I think there's one right now @ $80 shipped. That should set you up for a while, you don't really need an amp for the A500 IMHO, and I found mine ran fine from the sound out of my laptop. A lot of people recommend the Chaintech AV710 soundcard for budget gaming needs, apparently it should set you back around $30. A lot of people say it's way better than most of the Creative line up of sound cards as far as music goes.

Also there's a thread on here about the Koss A250, which was being sold recenly on Ebay; run out for now sadly, sold out in two days of listing because of headfi
very_evil_smiley.gif
. A lot of people think they would make great gaming/movie headphones. They do have a lot of the Koss A130 though left on there, apparently they're similar but of the closed variety. I think they're running around ~$35 ish shipped. Reason I believe their claims of gaming/movie usage is that I t I found the KSC-75 (which can be found at amazon for ~14 minus shipping) is a perfectly viable substitute for gaming if need be. Great soundstage, nice sparkly brightness that's needed for games IMHO; the only thing you won't get perhaps is that boomy bass that's needed for some games.

Jun 11, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #10 of 16
Hey all,

I was looking at the ATH-A### line from Audio-Technica. Namely, the A500s and A700s.

I plan to use whatever headphones I get at my computer and currently have an Audigy 2 ZS sound card. I'd like them to work well for both gaming and listening to music. Would you recomend either of the two?

My budget is $100-$160, however if something is really that good I'd be willing to spend a little more. Any suggestions for other good headphones? (Preferably close ear)

Jun 11, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jforsyth89
Hey all,

I was looking at the ATH-A### line from Audio-Technica. Namely, the A500s and A700s.

I plan to use whatever headphones I get at my computer and currently have an Audigy 2 ZS sound card. I'd like them to work well for both gaming and listening to music. Would you recomend either of the two?

My budget is $100-$160, however if something is really that good I'd be willing to spend a little more. Any suggestions for other good headphones? (Preferably close ear)

From reading and model number, obviously the higher you go up the ladder, the better the sound. But it seems to be that the jump from A500 to A700 is large, but the A700 vs. A900 differences are quite minimal SQ wise. In the closed line up most people recommend the A900; but there are a few users that have tried both the A900 and A700 and stated that the gains vs. price ratio isn't worth it. Another thing to note is that the A700 is officially imported by Audio technica USA to the States; so if you pick one up from an American retailer, the warranty would be honored here. The cheapest I've seen is around $125 shipped.

Edit: Just wanted to add one more into the mix, ( For Mercuttio
tongue.gif
) The Beyerdynamic DT770-80. Good isolation, comfortable soft velour pads, built like tanks compared to AT. I had it briefly not too long ago. Great for games, esp FPS positioning is second to none. You probably would need an amp for them to sing though. Although a lot of people say the A900 has a better tonal balance for music/gaming needs than the DT770.

Jun 11, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #12 of 16
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
<--- EDIT: That just made me laugh for some reason

I'm going to do some price hunting and make the choice between the A700s and A900s. I'm probably gonna go with the 700s unless I can find some amazing deal on teh 900s.

Jun 11, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80
From reading and my model number, obviously the higher you go up the ladder, the better the sound. But it seems to be that the jump from A500 to A700 is large, but the A700 vs. A900 differences are quite minimal SQ wise.

Disagree....
icon10.gif

All brothers except LTD's have same sound signature and they all sound 99.99% same for new comers.

A500 is more plastic, less aluminium and 64 ohms.
A700 is more aluminium, less plastic but still 64 ohms.
A900 is aluminium and 40 ohms. (Very easy to drive).

I would like to add that difference between A900LTD and A500 is small except brightness when driving unamped. A900LTD takes lead with better source by producing everything in it's maximum level any better source and amp can feed while A500 seems to restrict themselves to produce like LTD's at a perticular level.

All A*00 family but again except LTD's reported to restrict themselves with better source. So there should be slight difference between them.

BTW... All is my openion according to my experience with A500 and A900LTD and according to my memory. I can change it anytime if any owner of both will report big difference.
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #14 of 16
Yeah all my comments prior are from what I gathered from reading the forums here.
biggrin.gif
The only first hand experience is with the AD900. I was contemplating getting the A700 as it seemed to be a sweet point price wise from what I read and also that it's warranty is valid in the US if bought from here. But the A900LTD just kept calling out to me
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thanks manchau for pointing those out. Manchau is a very strong member for Team A900LTD .. preach the good word !
tongue.gif

Here is a link to a review I've found to be interesting by one headfi member from Taiwan; he got to demo the A700 and A900 side by side.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88115

Jun 12, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #15 of 16
Yeah, from reading through that thread and some other reviews I've found online I've finalized on the ATH-A700s. Amazon is selling them for $130 which seems like a good deal.

Just one last question: I was introduced to the ATH-A### line when asking about good gaming cans, more specifically the A500s. I'm assuming the A700s are just as good, but just wanted to make sure. Has anyone used them for gaming, or have any reason to believe they would somehow differ from the A500s in that respect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back