Audio Technica A900s Arrived - Impressions and Advice Needed
Mar 18, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #16 of 32
If the bulk is an issue and classical/piano music is your main listening, yes, try the Etys. Even the most inexperienced will notice a definite increase in clarity with the Etys, although this may pall after a while.

The only problem with the Ety for office use is that you will not hear the phone nor your coworkers even if they shout a bit. In-ear comfort will be an issue, and this is a personal thing. Try it and see.

If you didn't think much of the ATH-A900, you will be even less impressed with the DT250-80 and most likely slightly nonplussed with the HFI-650 too.

Mar 18, 2004 at 5:20 PM Post #17 of 32
I have never herd the a900 (I have been trying to buy a set) I use a ipod at work I have had the ety and yes they are awesome but not the most comfortable, for me. For travel they are awesome almost total sound isloation, worth trying. At work I find I can listen to regular phones longer because of the comfort. I just got some sures e5 and although more comfortable I wouldn't recomend them for classical they have a unatral tonal curve. If the a 900 don't fit there is not much you can do. My favorite phone right out of the ipod is the sony cd3000 and that is what I use and compair everthing to but they are even bigger but may fit you better but you are talking more $$$. Unfortionally there is alot of trial and error but it is what makes it fun. I'm sure you could find some ety used and if you don't like them just resell them for about the same. But htey were the clearest thing I herd almost unatral I think they loose some ritcheness in the sound but wow could you hear each instrument clearly.

Mar 18, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
If you didn't think much of the ATH-A900, you will be even less impressed with the DT250-80 and most likely slightly nonplussed with the HFI-650 too.

By this statement, do you mean that I won't like the sound of the DT250s as much or the bulkiness? To clarify my main point, I'm not displeased with the sound of the A900s. They sounded better than the Bose QC2s to me, and I mentioned that I enjoyed the sound of the QC2s. The size and girth of the A900s in an office environment is my main problem. So are you saying that the Beyers are just as bulky? Thanks to everyone for helping a newbie out.

Mar 18, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #19 of 32
I don't think Bangra was referring to bulkiness, but the sound quality. A900 is probably the best sounding headphone in it class unamped. If you want to throw another $200 at headphone amp, there are better headphones for the price, but it's hard to beat A900 if you're not getting an amp.

I think Ultrasone might be a less bulky headphone that compares very nicely alongside A900 for unamped use as well. I don't reallly think Ultrasone is that much less "bulky" though.

For what it's worth, I wear my A900 at work all day, all the time. Sure, I get strange looks from my co-workers, but nevertheless once they tried them on... they drool all over it.

Mar 18, 2004 at 6:03 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by tjmaxwell
By this statement, do you mean that I won't like the sound of the DT250s as much or the bulkiness? To clarify my main point, I'm not displeased with the sound of the A900s. They sounded better than the Bose QC2s to me, and I mentioned that I enjoyed the sound of the QC2s. The size and girth of the A900s in an office environment is my main problem. So are you saying that the Beyers are just as bulky? Thanks to everyone for helping a newbie out.

The DT250-80 and the HFI-650 are less bulky than the A900. I don't have the A900 now, but I do have the D1000 which has the same basic chassis, so here's a comparison: HFI-650 left, DT250-80 right.

3p.jpg

The HFI-650 folds for eas(ier) storage. The DT250 does not fold... and note that enormous, rigid cable assembly on the left hand side.

Soundwise, while the ATH-A900 has genuine entry-level audiophile chops, the DT250-80 is more 'easy listening' with a somewhat occluded and slightly cold-feeling sound with an inderterminate soundstage. The HFI-650 manages to be a traditional precision studio monitor in the treble and mids and yet hit like a freight train in the low ends at the same time, while staging is closer than either phone and puts you in the middle of a performance... whether this is desirable or not.

Out of the three, I'd vote the A900 the best for general classical. However you will probably find the Etys on a different level for the same use, albeit with some compromises.

The Etys are like glass in comparison to the above, both in terms of their seethroughness (enormous clarity into the music), and also in how they're somewhat fragile and brittle in audio terms. Another problem is a low end that comparatively lacks presence even if you get used to the Ety sound... Not so much a good thwack on the timpani, more a wet fart onto clingfilm [size=xx-small](N.B. I have NEVER attempted this, but I imagine the 'blup' sound you get from the Ety's low ends are onomatopoeically evocative of this type of activity)[/size]

Mar 18, 2004 at 7:10 PM Post #21 of 32
I've decided to go ahead and sell my A900s. They're just too big for me. I'll probably try the Ety ER4Ps next, since they seem like a good choice for classical music. I hope they're comfortable for me.

If anyone's interested in these headphones, I started a "For Sale" thread here. Thanks again to everyone for their advice. It's greatly appreciated.

Mar 18, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #22 of 32
Despite having an enormous head
a900wear.jpg
(Yes, they are the A900s in the picture) I have fairly narrow ear canals. I do find the Etys somewhat uncomfortable, although the triflanges are bearable. Get ready for a whole new experience, although there may be times when you look back fondly to the A900's
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by tjmaxwell
I've decided to go ahead and sell my A900s. They're just too big for me. I'll probably try the Ety ER4Ps next, since they seem like a good choice for classical music. I hope they're comfortable for me.

If anyone's interested in these headphones, I started a "For Sale" thread here. Thanks again to everyone for their advice. It's greatly appreciated.

Same thing happened to me
I was about to change since these geeks do no recommend QC2 over everything basically.

So I turn to Senn590 which is definetely SUCK badly.

unfortunately i'm not as polite as you are.

I change back to ER4P and it still suck

then ended up back qith my QC2, $300....worth every penny.

Just let u know my experience with these board.

Save your time and money, go with QC2 if you can afford and like it.

PEACE!

Mar 18, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #24 of 32
As lazyiesat, points out, people are creatures of habit. If you grew up listening to crap sources, your ears are going to like the sound of crap sources. Now remember, most peoples issues with bose aren't neccesarily related to sound quality but rather sound/build quality vs price. I listened to the Bose QC2 and they didn't sound that bad, until I saw how much they were asking for them.

I am sure if you had the quality backing up the A900, the differences between it and your bose headphones would move from barely noticeable to extremely obvious. Also, environment has something to do with it. In the office I have trouble telling the difference between my $200 and $1500 setup.

Sometimes with certain headphones(especially flavor of the month) you get alot of newbie advice, which can be very biased, as those are usually their first pair of headphones beyond stock earbuds. If you felt burned by this, stay the hell away from the amplifier forum.

I consider myself a fairly even-headed audiophile, so I can relate with the "I paid $$$ extra for this?" sentiment. But as you spend more and more time with your headphones, the more you realize the differences good quality can make. Sometimes.

Mar 18, 2004 at 8:09 PM Post #25 of 32
I pretty much agree with you raif. Yes, I'm a newbie, and yes, the QC2s sounded good to me. But they didn't sound $300 good -- especially since I didn't really need the extra noise cancellation feature. I suppose my main problem is that I got spoiled by the comfort of them. People rave about the comfort of the A900s, but to me, there's no comparison.

What about the Shure 5Cs? I hear they're more comfortable than the Etys. I also know they're more expensive, but if they sound better and are more comfortable, that may be an option. Anyone have these and enjoy classical music?

Mar 18, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #26 of 32
For classical, I'd say try the Etys first... Then try the E5 later as curiousity/budget permits. The E5 work pretty well for symphonic / operatic stuff but they do have a rolled off top end which takes away some of the overt clarity that the Etys provide.

Mar 18, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #27 of 32
I'm also with the Ety camp for you. I got mine recently and am loving them for everything but rock/metal, then it's Shure time
biggrin.gif

The Ety's have lots of options fit-wise so there shouldn't be a problem getting a comfy fit and they are very nice sounding indeed.

Mar 18, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #28 of 32
I wouldn't get rid of your A900's just yet. Why don't you use that $200-300 to buy a good source? There are some pretty good CDP's out there in that price range. You might be pleasantly surprised by what a good budget CD player can do for your A900's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back