Audio Technica A900s Arrived - Impressions and Advice Needed
Mar 18, 2004 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

tjmaxwell

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I recently discussed my desire to "upgrade" my listening experience from the not-so-popular Bose Quiet Comfort 2 headphones. After discussing my listening habits, it seemed like the majority of the people here suggested the Audio Technica A900 headphones for my needs.

I should preface the following statements by saying that I'm about as far from an audiophile as possible. I actually thought the Bose QC2s sounded pretty darn good, and they were unbelievably comfortable. After reading all the dogging of Bose products on this forum, I thought I could do a lot better. I spent most of last weekend re-ripping my CD collection using LAME to prepare for a huge jump in sound quality. Finally, my A900 headphones arrived today and I ripped them open in anticipation.

My first impression is that these things are absolutely enormous. I've never had the opportunity to try on or listen to professional quality headphones, so I suppose this is just how they come. After trying them on, I found them comfortable, though not nearly as comfortable as the QC2s. I liked how there was a recessed space between the speakers themselves and the ear cups so your ears never actually touched anything with the QC2s. With the A900s, my ears rub against them and tend to get "crunched" a little. Granted, I have big ears that stick out a bit, so this might be the problem.

Anyway, I then fired up some of my newly-ripped music. Since I enjoy mostly classical and piano music, I fired up my 20 GB iPod and turned on the Lord of the Rings soundtrack first. I wouldn't say that the sound blew me away, but I noticed more detail in these than the QC2s. That's to be expected I suppose, but I guess I expected more. My reaction was basically the same to most of the other music I tried from various genres. The sound was good, but not much better than the QC2s -- at least to me.

Basically, I'm trying to decide what to do. Right now, I'm thinking that these things are just too big and bulky to use in a work/home environment. And since the sound isn't blowing me away, I'm not sure they're worth keeping. I actually threw on my $50 Sony EX71 earbuds after hearing these and quite enjoyed the sound of those as well. I'm thinking of perhaps trying some earbuds, and the logical choice is the Ety 4Ps. I'm just worried about comfort since I'll be wearing these at work for long periods of time.

So based on my situation (most music played on 3G 20 GB iPod, no amp, mostly classical/piano music with some rock/country thrown in, most music encoded using LAME, comfort a big issue, etc.), what are some other recommendations? If I went with over-the-ear headphones, I'd want a closed design so my co-workers wouldn't hear. Preferably, these would not be nearly as bulky as the A900s. Or perhaps a good, comfortable earbud. What would you suggest? My budget is in the $200-$300 range. Thanks!

Mar 18, 2004 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 32
Based on reviews I've read so far here A900 improves with the time. You need at leat 50 hours of heavy burn in before doing any judment, Hope this is true, because I'm expecting mine to arrive any day soon.

Mar 18, 2004 at 6:30 AM Post #4 of 32
Burn those A900s in--and make sure you use some bass-heavy music! When I originally burned them in, I plugged my A900 into my iPod and just set it too shuffle. I didn't realize that most music on my iPod is oldies, classical, or early-mid 90s alternative. So just the other night, I threw on an album I hadn't heard in a while, and was thinking, "wheres the bass?" I thought perhaps my drivers had mysteriously gone bad. Well, I threw on some Dr. Dre and let them burn in with bass heavy music overnight (8 hourish)--huge huge HUGE improvement! The bass is now much more pronounced (not overpowering, just there), sharp, and clear. Plus, it seems like the mids and highs have settled in a bit more, too!

Mar 18, 2004 at 7:13 AM Post #5 of 32
Yeah, let them burn in, if you still don't want them I'd be happy to take them off your hands
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2004 at 7:44 AM Post #6 of 32
As far as comfort goes, did you try to adjust cups placement on your head? Moving them a little toward back of your head might help. (It worked for me with W1000)

Mar 18, 2004 at 12:03 PM Post #8 of 32
Try to do as others have suggested and give them time to burn-in with some bass heavy music. If you still don't like them, save your money and stay with the Bose. There are plenty of people that will buy them from you here at Head-Fi. I will add that you do need a decent headphone amp to get the best out of any headphone. A $40-50 cmoy amp would be a good start, and would easily drive a A900. As far as size, a A900 is small compaired to some phones.

Mar 18, 2004 at 3:36 PM Post #10 of 32
Yea, let them burn in, they will become fuller. Also it may take time for you to learn. You stated your self your not a audeophillic but as you listen to the music more you may notice more detail and when you go back to the bose you may start noticeing bigger differences. Also try Nora Jones or some vocal stuff If you like opra that is good also (I hate opra) but the human voice is usally the most noiciable because it hits souch a range and you know what it should sound like because you hear it so much. Close your eyes and you should be able to picture the singer in frount of you. The boes cut the mids a bit and the people sound far away. But most of all give your self a chance to learn. It takes time.

My fathor bought some $10 sony ear buds and wow they were bad, bassey and no mids or highs, I gave him my ety 4s and he said they were harroble and didn't like them because they had no bass. I didn't tell him how much they cost, needless to say I wrote him off as a lost cause. He needed to much training but it sounds like your 1/2 way there.

Mar 18, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by dj_mocok
i hope you were dead wrong about ATH-A900 tjmaxwell... dead dead wrong....
because Im getting A900 too...

By all means don't take what I say as gospel. As stated, I'm not an audiophile (as evidenced by the fact that I actually thought Bose headphones sounded good). I've read just about every post about the A900 phones here at Head-Fi and just about everyone agrees that they are terrific. To be fair, they do sound very good, but it's the bulk more than anything that I don't like.

As for peoples' remarks about burn-in, I bought these used from someone here on Head-Fi. He indicated that he had used them for roughly 30 hours before selling them. Whether that's adequate burn-in time, I'm not sure. Plus, I notice that many people mention that burn-in is required to really bring the bass out. Well, as I mentioned, I really don't listen to much bass-heavy music, so this isn't an issue to me. I just want clear, comfortable, isolating (if possible), terrific-sounding headphones for the music I enjoy, not booming bass.

As for other comments, I won't be going back to Bose. Although my untrained ears can't notice a huge difference, I realize now that I can do much better for my money. I'm surprised no one seconded my opinion of trying the Etys. Are those a poor choice in my situation? If so, what are some other recommendations?

Anyway, I'll take everyone's advice and give them a longer try, but while the sound may improve with time (which I never said wasn't great), the bulkiness won't. I'm probably just being stupid, but I'm not sure these are the best choice for work phones.

Mar 18, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by tjmaxwell
Anyway, I'll take everyone's advice and give them a longer try, but while the sound may improve with time (which I never said wasn't great), the bulkiness won't. I'm probably just being stupid, but I'm not sure these are the best choice for work phones.

Did you buy them for office usage?
eek.gif

Not a wise choice?
The best office headphones is Beyerdynamic DT 250-80, compact, extremely comfortable, easily driven from onboard sound card, non fatiguing for extra long listening session, sturdy. What else? Ahh, sound. The sound is very rich and mellow, very relaxing, they even make mp3 sound nice (CD like) by eliminating their harshness. Love them and enjoying every minute I have them over my ears.
But I ordered A900 too, but that's purely for home usage.

Mar 18, 2004 at 4:47 PM Post #13 of 32
Can it be your source? Although A900 is not the BEST headphone in the world, it is one of the top in its class. Frankly, I think you ought to try A900 after 40 or more hours of break-in using a non-lossy source (CD/SACD/DVD-A) and an amp to be sure.

I had an opportunity to audition Sony R10. First, I've used a mp3 (192 and 300+bps) and I thought wow, it is not what I expected. Then I tried with a reference class set up and it blew my mind away! Only if I had 3000.00 at that time
frown.gif

May be it is still possible that you don't like sonic signature of AT phones, but you should try a better source just to be sure. Just my 4KB worth!

-Mike

Mar 18, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Andrew_WOT
Did you buy them for office usage?
eek.gif

Not a wise choice?
The best office headphones is Beyerdynamic DT 250-80, compact, extremely comfortable, easily driven from onboard sound card, non fatiguing for extra long listening session, sturdy. What else? Ahh, sound. The sound is very rich and mellow, very relaxing, they even make mp3 sound nice (CD like) by eliminating their harshness. Love them and enjoying every minute I have them over my ears.
But I ordered A900 too, but that's purely for home usage.

Funny. I clearly stated in my other post that these would primarily be used for office use. Still, most everyone recommended the A900s. Yes, these headphones will be used 90% at work with my iPod (not connected to computer sound card). The other 10% of the time, they'll be used at home. Would the Beyers still be a good choice for iPod use? I'll look into those. Thanks.

Mar 18, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by tjmaxwell
Funny. I clearly stated in my other post that these would primarily be used for office use. Still, most everyone recommended the A900s. Yes, these headphones will be used 90% at work with my iPod (not connected to computer sound card). The other 10% of the time, they'll be used at home. Would the Beyers still be a good choice for iPod use? I'll look into those. Thanks.

If you decide to get them try B&H Photo, looks like they had the best price.

BTW pure audiophiles from that forum would wear a brown bag over the head in the office if it makes sound any better. J/K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back