Audio Technica A700 vs Beyer DT 250 - help me choose
Dec 1, 2006 at 7:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

vikaskoth

New Head-Fier
I'm going to buy one of these - AudioTechnica A700 or Beyer DT 250 80ohm
(thanks to the users here, i didn't even know about these brands)

I want to buy somthing asap but would like some opinions

I am looking for comfort (4+hrs use), isolation, quality
these will be used with a Creative Zen Touch 40gb mp3 player.

Dec 1, 2006 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 13
I'm curious about the dt250, they seem like they would be pretty decent. The a700 are huge from what I understand, so if you wanted to wear them around it might look a little weird. The dt250 seem like they would be good for wearing around and look like they would take a beating.

Dec 1, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #6 of 13
There not that huge at all... I'm wearing the a900s now and there the same size as the 500 and the 700.

I say go for the a700. There real comfy and they sound good. They look damn nice also ^^.

Dec 1, 2006 at 12:27 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vikaskoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would only be wearing these to study at a library, coffehouse, home etc.

So you'll be carrying them around. You have noticed, haven't you, that the a5/7/900 are about as portable as a pair of Stax? They're huge, look expensive (coffeehouse/library theft danger), and are relatively delicate for slinging around inside a bag.

However, the DT250-250 requires an amp, so that may push you over budget. (don't bother with the 250-80, page through this review to see why)

Dec 1, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #8 of 13
I spent a great deal of time researching a good set of closed cans to compliment my DT770s and Stax electrostatics. I eventually decided on the DT250-250 earlier this year, based on its reputation for neutrality, naturalness and great detail. It's a wonderful sounding can from these perspectives, all these impressions are true. Far better in all these regards than my old Stax, or the Dt770s. It’s the best closed can I’ve heard for classical (I haven’t heard the Audio Technica’s). It also had better bass reach than my 770s, without the 200Hz suck-out they show. It was just a great sounding can, tonally and detail wise.

Unfortunately, there is a fly in the ointment that in the end had me send them back. Some have a manufacturing defect that causes one side to have a different frequency response than the other. Search the archives, I revived that discussion a month or so back.

The result is that the imaging is very vague, to the point of being extremely bothersome. For example, when an instrument changes tonal scale, its position sounds like it changes. Triangles, crash cymbals and the like wander all over. Once you pick up on it, it’s impossible to avoid.

This measurement tells the tale.
http://www.headphone.com/products/he...-dt-250-80.php

Shown is how poorly matched right and left earpieces are throughout the critical 200Hz band, where music carries so much of its power, and again through the 3 to 4 kHz band where the ear is nearly at its peak sensitivity. Given the problem resides where most music is so powerful and where the ear can most easily pick up on issues, it was no surprise that this evidenced itself on nearly every song. This doesn't sound so much like a tonal issue, as a definite and bothersome imaging issue.

For reference, the left-right matching of the DT770s is rock solid.

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...mic-dt-770.php

In my older Dt770s Pros, this comes across as imaging with great stability. This stability also allows you to better enjoy the detail it has, and makes them less fatiguing.

It’s too bad really. The DT250-250s are otherwise for me the perfect set of cans (despite the fact that they get a bit sweaty) and I’d keep them for years, if they didn’t have that issue.

I should also mention that my connector broke after only 4 weeks, and I’d read this has occurred for others.

The DT250s really charmed me and now I’m cautiously searching out a closed can replacement that has it’s strengths, without it’s Achilles heel. I’d be surprised if that closed can exists.

Dec 1, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 13
DDF that was very indepth, thanks for your thoughts. After last night and doing more searches its come down to the A700 or A900. I've ruled the beyer out for use with portables.
Is it worth the price difference ($70) to get A900 over A700
A700-$110
A900-$180

I realize these are big, but i don't think size will be a problem for me, i'll lug em around

Dec 1, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #10 of 13
I own both the A700 and A900. IMO unless you have a very keen sense of hearing to detect the small differences between the A700 and A900, I would choose the A700 and save a few bucks. To me the A700 has 95% of the sound quality that is found in the A900. The A900 has a slightly better level of detail and instrument seperation. Both A700 and A900 share a great soundstage and a tight bass. They both are equally as comfortable and don't require an amp to sound good, although they do sound better amped. The AT A series cans are by no means built flimsy. You would have to but some abuse on them in order to break a pair. They are a tad on the huge side, but if you can manage their size when you need to carry them in your bag it shouldn't be a problem.

One recommendation I would make if you do decide to get either the A700 or A900 is set of A1000 replacement earpads from Audiocubes. The earpads on the A700 and A900 seems to be the first thing that deteriorates after a while.

Dec 1, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #11 of 13
i just ordered the a700. i'm no audiophile so i doubt it will make a big difference. the 900's wouldve been over 190 with shipping so i decided to save some money. thanks for everyones advice, i know where to come now next time i'm ready to buy some more headphoens.

Dec 1, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #12 of 13
Let us know what you think. I've been considering pulling the trigger on some A700s myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back