Audio Technica A700 Jack Broken
Oct 2, 2012 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SpacePope

New Head-Fier
So i've had these headphones for quite a long time, and just recently, I ran over the jack with my rolling chair.

Now, sometimes I get a good sound, and sometimes I get a really echo-y sound

I tweaked the jack a little bit and found out at certain angles, it worked perfectly. 

I was just wondering if anyone has done a jack replace, and what I would need to do this?

Oct 2, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 3
I did a jack replacement on my pair last week actually. I went ahead and did a full recabling because mine was fairly beat up, but it's very possible to just put on a new jack and have it look good. You could just cut the end off and solder a new jack back on, but as far as I'm concerned, soldering the wiring that came with it (OFC I believe) is a pain in the ass. I dunno why but it was easier for me to just take the cans apart and just put in a new cable. The wire is tied in a little knot inside the outer shell of the can that keeps it from being tugged out, and then it's fed through a little plastic cap behind the driver where there's a small PCB that sends the signal to the proper channels. If you want to replace the cable, all you have to do is take the pad off the left speaker, remove the screws, pull the speaker out and then cut the cable. From there you can put in a new cable in the same way that the old one was there. Either way involves some soldering. 

Oct 2, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
I did a jack replacement on my pair last week actually. I went ahead and did a full recabling because mine was fairly beat up, but it's very possible to just put on a new jack and have it look good. You could just cut the end off and solder a new jack back on, but as far as I'm concerned, soldering the wiring that came with it (OFC I believe) is a pain in the ass. I dunno why but it was easier for me to just take the cans apart and just put in a new cable. The wire is tied in a little knot inside the outer shell of the can that keeps it from being tugged out, and then it's fed through a little plastic cap behind the driver where there's a small PCB that sends the signal to the proper channels. If you want to replace the cable, all you have to do is take the pad off the left speaker, remove the screws, pull the speaker out and then cut the cable. From there you can put in a new cable in the same way that the old one was there. Either way involves some soldering. 

just a random question since you already opened the A700.. is it possible to remove the drivers from it? and any approximate thickness of the drivers? thanks and sorry for OT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back