Audio switch box..
Feb 19, 2004 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ES347

New Head-Fier
Is there a high quality switch box out there capable of routing 3 stereo line level inputs (RCA) to an amplifier? Something with Cardas RCA connectors maybe, a high quality rotary switch all connected with Litz wire in a cool little metal box would be great. Comments please. thx.

Feb 19, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 14
Check your private messages. I forwarded you some information.
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 14
It seems as though Headroom is out of stock (temporarilly?), but they sell something that sounds like it would suit your needs. JMT used to have one, and having used it at his place myself, I thought it was of high quality, and would buy one if I needed its capabilities.

Here is what the back looks like (linked from Headroom's site)
0010019000backbig.JPG

If I were you, I would call or email Headroom and see whether they will be getting more in stock or could somehow send one your way.

Do a search to see others' thoughts on this switchbox, or others, as I seem to remember this topic coming up before.

good luck

Feb 22, 2004 at 5:23 PM Post #8 of 14
That quintête looks like a winner
biggrin.gif

I have a switchbox with cardas connectors & NKK switches in a hammond box made by mgalusha, an im very happy with it. Well worth the money for the convenience it provides.

Feb 22, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Thanks to all who responded. I am checking out your suggestions, and my apologies for posting this message on the wrong forum.

no apology required man

problem with online posting sometimes is it comes off far stronger than it was meant

The "I am moving this to..."

was meant more as a heads up to whoever than it was meant towards the original post

BTW-Welcome to Head-Fi , sorry 'bout the wallet"

Feb 25, 2004 at 2:21 PM Post #11 of 14
I found a very nice 3 input audio switch box at:

http://www.rpelectronics.com/

The item number is CVS970. I got it yesterday and haven't hooked it up yet but the build quality is very good considering it cost less than $17. It has gold plated RCAs and the selector switch seems substational. I will repost after listening to it. Check out the picture at their website. thx.

Mar 1, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #13 of 14
I have spent some time with this el-cheapo switchbox, the CVS970, and thought I would post my impressions. First of all the little box at $17 USD is built remarkably well. The 4 sets of RCA's in the back (3 in, 1 out) are gold plated. The rotary switch seems substantial plus the small metal box is something that most headpone afficionados won't be ashamed of.

The Sound:

I had to go out and buy two more pairs of interconnects to hook my two sources (Sony SACD and Adcom CD player) to the CVS970. I wound up using Monster interconnects intended for auto sound. Yep, that's right but they are actually quite nice and at $12.95 per pr. a bit of a steal. The interconnect between the sw. box and my Perreaux amp is the $30 audioquest (sorry but don't recall the model name). I used the Nickel Creek SACD to listen and all sounded quite good. I compared the sound going thru the little switch box to the sound going direct from the player to the amp: no difference to these ears anyway so I am comfortable proclaiming that the CVS970 doesn't degrade the sound in any way at all. Then I thought if the setup sounds that good with the el-cheapo Monster interconnects what would it sound like with MIT interconnects. I went direct from the source to the amp with a pr. of MIT 330+ ( I think that's the number). Result: nada difference, again to these ears.

Conclusions:

I am sure some will accuse me of audio heresy and stop reading at this point but that's the straight story. In fact this isn't the first time I have driven myself bonkers A/B'ing audio cables and this experience is pretty much consistent with conclusions I've drawn in the past. If there are differences in interconnects, they are subtle differences. I'm not suggesting that anyone stop buying the good stuff. I will continue to buy the better cables (there's a limit though) based on looks and feel if for no other reason. But this time, for my bedside listening station, I just can't bring myself to do it. The amp and the HD600 phones probably seem worthy of more expensive cables but doggone it, they just don't seem to make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back