Audio stores in the LA area?
Feb 5, 2011 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Scytus

100+ Head-Fier
Im visiting LA over the weekend(from phoenix), and wanted to know if anyone had any knowledge of any audio specialized stores in the area. I dont mean the Guiter Centers that don't even recognize names such as Ultrasone or Audio Technica.

There are many headphones Ive read of that Id love to go out there and try (especially the extremely expensive ones, to see if I can appreciate the $800-1400 sound x]). If anyone could clue me in on this, Id be so very grateful; Id imagine Los Angeles as a place that would have not one, but many of pro audio stores..I just wouldnt know how to go about finding them.

Thank you kindly.

Feb 5, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:
only one I know of is  http://dxcstore.com/

DXC is awesome. You'll probably hear most of the headphones that you'd want to hear here. If you can go here, just do it. Even Nor Cal doesn't have anything this good.

Feb 5, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 16
Wow... That's where I auditioned those headphones too... They carried the whole Ultrasone line when I went there and then some.

Quote:
Just called, they don't carry the headphones I most wanted to try (Pro900, hfi-580, some beyers)

:C

Feb 5, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 16
You talked to someone who doesn't know.  I auditioned the Pro750 and Pro-900 there last month.  It is really the only store in L.A. that i know of that you can do it, unless you want to make a private appt with the Stax distributer here, and they only have midrange.

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #9 of 16
Called again, they said they have the HFI-550, HFI-700, Pro 550 and Pro 750.

But its alright, I just auditioned the PRO900 at 'Hollywood DJ', unfortunately it was unamped so I couldn't really say anything of SQ (was bass-empty unamped). I was able to test the isolation, and it didnt leak exceptionally bad, it was just a tad more than Id like, Im still debatting it x]

Feb 18, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #11 of 16
I thought i heard those over there but maybe just the hfi open phones and the 750s i guess, my fault.  I am about to send two different people over there in the next week and a half too, talked them out of Beats and need to send them somewhere, was thinking about DXstore tonight.

Mar 12, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 16
I'm going to be in the Los Angeles area again this coming week, for Spring Break this time. I'm going to make sure and pay DXCStore a visit :]

Would I be able to try a lot of headphone models? ..or would they get annoyed? x]

I wonder if they have those STAX Omega 2 headphones, been amazingly curious.

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
I'm going to be in the Los Angeles area again this coming week, for Spring Break this time. I'm going to make sure and pay DXCStore a visit :]

Would I be able to try a lot of headphone models? ..or would they get annoyed? x]

I wonder if they have those STAX Omega 2 headphones, been amazingly curious.

There is a STAX retailer in Santa Monica.  He is upstairs above the Radio Shack and shares part of his space with Power Yoga.  Forgot the name but he is an older guy with a long beard.  I used to listen to the music up there when the studio also doubled as a dance place called Dance Home.  522 Santa Monica Blvd.  But it is by appointment only as i recall.  I talked to him once on the phone.

Mar 13, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
There is a STAX retailer in Santa Monica.  He is upstairs above the Radio Shack and shares part of his space with Power Yoga.  Forgot the name but he is an older guy with a long beard.  I used to listen to the music up there when the studio also doubled as a dance place called Dance Home.  522 Santa Monica Blvd.  But it is by appointment only as i recall.  I talked to him once on the phone.

Wow, this would have been very helpful for me like half a year ago haha

Course I never thought I'd spend so much money on headphones to get a Stax but look at stupid me now.

Scytus, DXC are very nice. You can try for hours and they couldn't care less. I was there even past their closing time, not that I'm suggesting you do it too XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back