Audio Recommendations for Classical
Mar 13, 2023 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

takuta

New Head-Fier
Hello!
I want to hear what people think are good pieces of gear (IEMs and headphones alike) specifically for classical music. It's made a resurgence in my life, and I've been enjoying the instruments used in classical music a ton, and would like to know what gear people think would maximize the experience!

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #3 of 13
I think the Sennheiser HD800s are pretty amazing for classical music.
The hd800 are good for classical music in principle, they have a wide stage and a detailed sound, but they lack bass (for example, the double basses don't get enough meaning, something that is lacking in the liveliness of listening to classical music)
In addition, the sound is a bit dry, it's more of a distant listening experience, it less involves the listener in the experience,
They also need a strong and high-quality amplifier,
If you set a budget it will be easier to focus on you,

Mar 14, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #4 of 13
The hd800 are good for classical music in principle, they have a wide stage and a detailed sound, but they lack bass (for example, the double basses don't get enough meaning, something that is lacking in the liveliness of listening to classical music)
In addition, the sound is a bit dry, it's more of a distant listening experience, it less involves the listener in the experience,
They also need a strong and high-quality amplifier,
If you set a budget it will be easier to focus on you,
I think this is very fair criticism.

To be honest I listen to a lot of genres and hardly get to use open backs and my main closed back is the Focal Stellia which I personally also enjoy for classical music but there are certainly better options out there if you want to optimise probably.
For me they just seal perfectly and have one of the most enjoyable presentations that I’ve heard.

Mar 14, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #5 of 13
Stay away from anything with a V-shaped frequency response.
That thundering bass not only sounds unnatural, it will also mask the mid range. The mid range is that part where acoustic instruments live.
Likewise a piercing treble is very unnatural as well.

At home I use the HD800. It is a bit bass heavy so shaving of 2 dB at 100 Hz does it for me.
On the road I use a Etymotic ER4P. Here I do the reverse, add 2 dB at 100 Hz for a little bit more body.

Mar 14, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #6 of 13
Hello!
I want to hear what people think are good pieces of gear (IEMs and headphones alike) specifically for classical music. It's made a resurgence in my life, and I've been enjoying the instruments used in classical music a ton, and would like to know what gear people think would maximize the experience!
Since it was commented about and I think they're good ideas, I'll mention 2 things regarding specifics for my asking:
1. For price range, if it's worth it, I'm willing to spend. My hard limit is probably in the realm of 1.5-2k, but I also don't mind purchasing used items, so take that for a "real purchase price" rather than an MSRP.
2. I currently use a D50S/A50S stack which has served me well in the last 2 years I've used them, but there have been mentions of things that require some nicer amplifiers. Feel free to mention these! An example I saw was the HD800S that required nicer amplification. If your recommendation requires something like this, feel free to mention it. My 1.5-2k mention earlier only accounts for the headphones, so don't worry about that when it comes to amps/dacs, just be reasonable (i.e. recommending a 10k dac and a 15k amp seems a bit strange for a 1.5-2k piece of gear)

Mar 14, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #7 of 13
Since it was commented about and I think they're good ideas, I'll mention 2 things regarding specifics for my asking:
1. For price range, if it's worth it, I'm willing to spend. My hard limit is probably in the realm of 1.5-2k, but I also don't mind purchasing used items, so take that for a "real purchase price" rather than an MSRP.
2. I currently use a D50S/A50S stack which has served me well in the last 2 years I've used them, but there have been mentions of things that require some nicer amplifiers. Feel free to mention these! An example I saw was the HD800S that required nicer amplification. If your recommendation requires something like this, feel free to mention it. My 1.5-2k mention earlier only accounts for the headphones, so don't worry about that when it comes to amps/dacs, just be reasonable (i.e. recommending a 10k dac and a 15k amp seems a bit strange for a 1.5-2k piece of gear)
ok, you have a great budget,
There are a lot of options in this budget, I think hifiman arya v3 is an excellent option for classical music, the hd800 has a little more stage width but the arya has a wonderful and big sound, very detailed with excellent dynamics, the sound is alive and natural, it puts you in the atmosphere of the music,
If you want something cheaper but definitely very interesting, you can check out hifiman he6 se v2 (ADORAMA), these are headphones with supreme detail and excellent sound at a really cheap price, they have a different sound signature than arya (the arya with a bigger sound, the he6se with a better sound detailed) and they need a strong amplifier,
Meze 109 pro is also a very good option, although the sound is more fun and warm (but without sacrificing much technicality)
The question is also what are your listening preferences (are you looking more to analyze the sound and find micro details, etc. or are you looking for more warmth and fun, tonality, etc.)
Regarding an amplifier, ferrum oor with hypsos is a great option, it looks good, small, and it produces a great sound (it also has a lot of power)
Edit: Regarding iem, kse1500, I have never heard anything that sounds better with classical music (on iem)

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #8 of 13
Also adds the heddphone, which I personally have not heard, but friends say it is good for classical music (note that it is heavy on the head)
grado ps1000e is also good with classical music, less comfortable (in my personal opinion)

edited

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #10 of 13
The HD800s is amazing for classical music. As mentioned it lacks a bit of bass but I noticed getting earcups (I think they were from dekoni) helped. Granted it doesn't have the bass thump you'd want for EDM etc but for orchestral music, I think it is plenty.
I also once thought that for orchestral music you don't need that much bass,
In practice it really adds to the experience in classical music as well (of course you don't need a bass like for electronic music...)
In addition, the sound of the hd800 is a bit clinical, but that's just a matter of taste,
In the end, there is no doubt that these are excellent headphones, especially for classical music, they are also very comfortable and lightweight, which is a very significant parameter for good listening.
Replacement pads can definitely improve the bass (I've even tried cheaper pads from dekoni) but doesn't make it something else,

Mar 16, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #11 of 13
I also once thought that for orchestral music you don't need that much bass,
In practice it really adds to the experience in classical music as well (of course you don't need a bass like for electronic music...)
In addition, the sound of the hd800 is a bit clinical, but that's just a matter of taste,
In the end, there is no doubt that these are excellent headphones, especially for classical music, they are also very comfortable and lightweight, which is a very significant parameter for good listening.
Replacement pads can definitely improve the bass (I've even tried cheaper pads from dekoni) but doesn't make it something else,
Agreed. perhaps the xbass/truebass functions on iFi products will help, as I am currently using an HD820 powered by a zen dac and the truebass to me was quite beneficial. I would imagine it does the same for the HD800s which unfortunately I no longer own and had powered it off something else.

Mar 25, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #13 of 13
I haven't heard the Sennheiser HD800S. Maybe they are the apotheosis. But for neutral and natural and spacious, perfect for classical: Audio-Technica ATH-R70X. Google them for all the reviews that have been out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back