Audio quality: Which one would be a better choice DragonFly DAC or Fiio e17?
Sep 12, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:
Yes volume matching is a huge component and people who don't do it correctly cannot be taken seriously, even under a legitimate double blind test. The name/ label is always a huge component...

I doubt the E17 would have a noticeably worse DAC than either something like the ODAC or the HRT Streamer ii. People claim to hear "huge" differences but can't even come close to reproducing the same degree of differences under a double blind test. Measurement wise, of course the E17 should lose. The question is, are the differences audible enough to the human ear? And if they are, are they worth the money that could be better spent on trying a different headphone? 

I'm interested in the e17 because of the portability factor....to use on the road with a netbook. I'm happy with my home set up. True, for the price they're asking for the DragonFly one might be able to upgrade to a better....or at least, different....headphone....assuming one has something on the level of the e17 already

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:
Not doubting you, but what motivated you to purchase the DragonFly if you never read any reviews? You never read the big thread here on head-fi? What about price? There's a huge difference between that one and the e17, so perhaps you were *expecting* to hear an improvement.Unfortunately our "ears" are influenced by the content of our minds(subconscious as well as conscious), whether we're aware of it or not. It's the way we're 'wired' and no one's immune to it.. 

As I said before I never read a word about DragonFly before I got it but read a lot that external DAC/AMPs are better so after discovering that I can get locally instead of online (which means easy return) I decided to try and hear for myself too popular E17 (that's where bias should be expected), rarely mentioned Audioengine D1 and too new DragonFly. I had all 3 of them at the same time so I compared them side by side and for me E17 is only good if you use it as portable with player which lacks or has crapy EQ so you will use E17's instead but if I want to use E17 as USB DAC/AMP with my PC I prefer third party Foobar's EQ plugin over E17's EQ. Why i decide to try DragonFly is cause while it's DAC/AMP in one it also lets you attach active speakers if you want to plus you can use as DAC only and add an AMP of your choice when needed. Yes if your budget is limited and you want to kill 2 birds with one bullet by having portable AMP for a player and USB DAC/AMP for computer at the same time than you obviously have only one choice E17 but since I don't need portable AMP plus want best possible sound for my budget and ability to add an AMP I chose DragonFly

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #18 of 29
OK, fair enough. The DragonFly is more than double the price which could be a factor leading to bias. Even appearance can sometimes be a factor. Not doubting your impressions though. I'm curious to hear them myself, but I'm not about to spend the kind of money right now that the Dragonfly would cost. I tend to think I might have a difficult time telling them apart in a dbt. What headphones did you use to compare them?

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #19 of 29
From Computeraudophile's review of the DragonFly: I'm going to take a guess here that since the DragonFly costs about $80 USD more than the Audioengine D1 and $110 more than the Headstreamer, and given the very small differences in sound (for the intended users at least), I expect people will buy the DragonFly because of the small size and convenience of not having to use a USB cable, or possibly other reasons. 

The reviewer DID prefer it to the e17 however. I should emphasize that no attempt was made for this to be a controlled test. Steve Guttenberg in a CNET review loved the Dragonfly with in ear monitors, but found it pretty lacking with full sized phones. Without controlled testing it's hard to know who to believe....or not. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #20 of 29
OK, fair enough. The DragonFly is more than double the price which could be a factor leading to bias. Even appearance can sometimes be a factor. Not doubting your impressions though. I'm curious to hear them myself, but I'm not about to spend the kind of money right now that the Dragonfly would cost. I tend to think I might have a difficult time telling them apart in a dbt. What headphones did you use to compare them?

Denon D7000 and HD650

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:
Denon D7000 and HD650

OK, I was curious if you thought it was superior with both low and high impedance phones. Guttenberg didn't like it with full sized phones...the m50 was one of them. It lacked low end oomph, I think he said. I guess we all hear differently is a truism here.

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #22 of 29
The HRT Headstreamer is another one the OP might want to look at....$140 and 'jitter free' according to the manufacturer....like the dragonfly, FWIR.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #23 of 29
Latest Stereophyle has newest Recommended Components List where DragonFly listed as class B while HRT Streamers as class C. The have review of DragonFly there but I had no chance to read it, got the issue just 2 days ago

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #24 of 29
The Dragonfly supposedly eliminates jitter. Any input on this particular issue as regards the e17, Headstreamer, D1? It jitter something that would be noticeable with any of those? Is the Dragonfly worth the additional expense because it's supposedly eliminated?

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #25 of 29
The Dragonfly supposedly eliminates jitter. Any input on this particular issue as regards the e17, Headstreamer, D1? It jitter something that would be noticeable with any of those? Is the Dragonfly worth the additional expense because it's supposedly eliminated?

To my ears it worth the money that's why Dragonfly staying while Xonar STX wasting space inside tower since no longer in use even as DAC only cause Dragonfly/Asgard combo sounds better than Xonar/Asgard

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #26 of 29
To my ears it worth the money that's why Dragonfly staying while Xonar STX wasting space inside tower since no longer in use even as DAC only cause Dragonfly/Asgard combo sounds better than Xonar/Asgard

Audio quality between Asus STX and DragonFly red is comparable ?

Jul 12, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #28 of 29
  help ?

You're in the wrong thread, this was 4 years old when you revived it.  It was created during the original release of the dragonfly, not the "red" or "black".  Read this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/805832/new-dragonfly-black-and-red-discussion  THEN post if you can't find your answer.

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #29 of 29

If you never heard DragonFly and/or compared it to E17 don't comment. I compared them side by side and can repeat again that DragonFly sound way better plus you also can use it as DAC only and add an AMP of your choice when budget permits as I did by adding Asgard. E17 is worth only if the following is true 1. I need an AMP for portable outdoor use but I need DAC/AMP in one for my computer. 2. When used with computer for music listening the player in use has no or has crappy EQ an doesn't allow to use third party plug-in EQ so I will use tone controls built-in into E17 

So would the Dragonfly Red (Or black) work well as a portable DAC? 

I need something to boost the volume (and possibly sound quality) of my iphone 6 to my H6s (30ohm I think). Would the dragonfly work, or would I be better off getting a portable amp like the E17k?

If it did work, I like the idea of being able to use it on the go, and then pair it with my O2 amp when I get home on my PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back