Audio Problem
Mar 30, 2010 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wonderwall

100+ Head-Fier
So I have a bit of an unsolvable issue. It has somehow pervaded through three different sound devices, both internal and external. And so far as I can tell the problem isn't coming from any of those devices.

Basically, I get some crackle and pop when scrolling, clicking to minimize a window and sometimes just moving my mouse. Fullscreen video (flash or any kind of streaming) also results in this but to a greater extent. Sometimes it's worse than others and so far I haven't noticed myself doing anything different to cause it. The crackling/popping while clicking/moving the mouse really only occurs with music. Nothing seems to happen when i have no music playing. I don't think it's a sound effect conflict since it makes no sound when click or anything like that.

I noticed this problem ever since I got a new video card last December. But I went through three of them and had the same problem. Two of them are by the same maker but one was not. The only commonality between them all is HDMI out which I use to hook my PC to my tv. It does have a sound output but I disable it until I feel like using it so it shouldn't be causing an issue. And the fullscreen flash/streaming video cracklepop occurs with that as well. I should note that it persists even with optical out to my stereo.

I'm stumped. My RAM usage is ok, just over half. CPU usage is low. So...

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 9
Current audio device is NuForce uDAC. Current graphics device is NVIDIA GeForce 210. CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E4500 with 2 gigs of RAM. Running Windows 7.

Hope that's enough. If not, just let me know.

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by wonderwall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Current audio device is NuForce uDAC. Current graphics device is NVIDIA GeForce 210. CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E4500 with 2 gigs of RAM. Running Windows 7.

Hope that's enough. If not, just let me know.

Sounds more than powerful enough... Things you can try:

Disable SpeedStep.

Disable CUDA (this might be a hard option to find)

Try Beta or Old nVidia drivers.

Newest: NVIDIA DRIVERS 197.13 WHQL

Beta: NVIDIA DRIVERS 197.25 BETA

Archived: NVIDIA DRIVERS 195.62 WHQL

Try a DPC Latency checker. If something goes into the red, try disabling WiFi drivers (if they turn out to be the problem, just update them).

Another thing to try is to move your mouse and keyboard to the front USBs, and have your uDAC alone on the back USBs. If you need them in the back ports, place the uDAC as far away from them as possible. (But NOT on the front USB or a USB bracket.)

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and you have low impedance/high sensitivity headphones I'd guess?

AD700 / HD-555.

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds more than powerful enough... Things you can try:

Disable SpeedStep.

Disable CUDA (this might be a hard option to find)

Try Beta or Old nVidia drivers.

Newest: NVIDIA DRIVERS 197.13 WHQL

Beta: NVIDIA DRIVERS 197.25 BETA

Archived: NVIDIA DRIVERS 195.62 WHQL

Try a DPC Latency checker. If something goes into the red, try disabling WiFi drivers (if they turn out to be the problem, just update them).

Another thing to try is to move your mouse and keyboard to the front USBs, and have your uDAC alone on the back USBs. If you need them in the back ports, place the uDAC as far away from them as possible. (But NOT on the front USB or a USB bracket.)

Trying all these. It wasn't the wifi. Only my mouse is USB but putting it up front didn't work practically. I found a USB hub laying around though so I'm running it through that. Not sure if that helps. I also have two external hdds plugged into the back USB ports which can't go anywhere else because they need to be powered and my front ports are not powered. So I may have an issue here.

Downloading latest drivers now.

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by wonderwall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trying all these. It wasn't the wifi. Only my mouse is USB but putting it up front didn't work practically. I found a USB hub laying around though so I'm running it through that. Not sure if that helps. I also have two external hdds plugged into the back USB ports which can't go anywhere else because they need to be powered and my front ports are not powered. So I may have an issue here.

Downloading latest drivers now.

If there's a POWERED hub in your repertoire, you could hook up the external drives to it, and it to the front USB, and see if that works.

Beyond that, you're nearly hooped. You could get a cheap little PCI USB2.0 card, and plug the audio device alone in there. Would run you $10-30 at a local no-name computer store.

Apr 2, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there's a POWERED hub in your repertoire, you could hook up the external drives to it, and it to the front USB, and see if that works.

Beyond that, you're nearly hooped. You could get a cheap little PCI USB2.0 card, and plug the audio device alone in there. Would run you $10-30 at a local no-name computer store.

Don't own a powered hub. Would that need to be plugged into AC? Guess I'll try the last option.

New drivers didn't help, btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back