AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Jun 25, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #739 of 3,694
  perhaps restarting PC and say "NO" to update question???

I restarted my PC without problems but I am not advising you to breach a "do not interrupt". Declining the firmware update only lets you try playing music without it, but I got success only after update. Then I had all sorts of other problems with DAC responding to D16 via spdif Phono/RCA vs. AES (see earlier in thread) - so I don't have my D16 back with me till next week (it wasn't faulty but everything went away for checking). You will be enjoying your music system before I do with luck on your side.

Jun 25, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #740 of 3,694
It works!!!! I have sound finally....ufff 
biggrin.gif

Thankx lving 
beerchug.gif

Jun 25, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #743 of 3,694
  powerfilter --> PC (skylake) --> D16 spdif out --> Nad M51 spdif in with 6db attenuator --> Topping TP60 --> Tannoy DC10T 
popcorn.gif

Thanks Danutz

We can chalk up NAD M51 as a DAC that works via spdif [!assumes coax not AES input!] with the D16 AES which, unlike e.g. RME Fireface UC (and several other devices according to @atomicbob), has the SCMS Professional Bit on [probably applies to all RedNet boxes] - i.e., Consumer mode in which "Copyright not asserted" may be flagged is absent. RedNet boxes may be elusive to "finicky" DACs which obey the SCMS flag "Copy prohibited" whether connected via RCA or BNC [does not apply to AES which is unhindered]. This chalking up of the NAD M51 assumes that the D16 and NAD M51 are connected *direct*; i.e., there are no devices in between (for these can re-facilitate the blocked copyright path).

Referring to this earlier post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/806827/audio-over-ip-rednet-3-16-review-aes67-sets-a-new-standard-for-computer-audio/645#post_12672226, it could be helpful all round - *especially to prospective purchasers who wish to avoid disappointment* - if RedNet users could post assertions on this thread about DACs that work or do not work when linked *directly* to RedNet boxes immediately upstream. We assume that Pro Audio DACs (e.g. Dangerous Music Convert-2) are unlikely to be affected.

Focusrite are aware of the SCMS issue and will follow up; however, the scope for re-calibrating RedNet boxes and, if at all, on what timescale remains to be seen.

Jun 25, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #744 of 3,694
I wasn't able to play 192kHz files on my Rednet 3 no matter which combination of settings I tried. I figured it out by reading a post on another forum. I simply changed the latency to 4 on Dante Virtual Soundcard. Bingo! It works beautifully.
I guess I was just tired and frustrated from futzing with my system all day. I hope this can help someone else who is having the same problem.
Now I'm just waiting for custom cables to be built so I can connect my Lynx Aurora 8. Then I will really be able to see what this baby can do!
Have fun.

Jun 25, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #746 of 3,694
It's been a little over a week since I've received the D16. I've been listening almost exclusively with the Rednet-Mutec-Yggy combo (AES) and really enjoying it. To test my preference, I went back and listened to my dual PC config with Jplay. The reason I did so is that AO 2.0 became available in non-beta form for Windows 10. I had purchased an AO license late last year but never installed it as I was waiting for 2.0.  The upgrade license (from 1.4 to 2.0) was pretty reasonable (approx. $30) so I was curious and decided to give it a shot. 

End result - no change from what I heard last weekend. Cleary prefer the Rednet to dual config. If anything, I think the disparity has grown. I listened to more audiophile type recordings for this test and the RedNet revealed much more of the recordings. It also continued to be more emotionally involving. The dual PC config (CAPS Pipeline) has  dedicated USB card (SOTM), Battery powered OS, Wyred Recovery,HD Plex Power Supply, Curious cables and Optical Isolation. The D16 system in contrast  is using $20 blue jeans cat 6 ethernet cable, $35 Benchmark AES cables  and $5 power cord.

Needless to say, the RedNet remains in my main system. I can tell by reading some posts that the RedNets may not be "plug and play" for everyone. All I can say is IMO the sound quality and rock solid operation (once set up) is worth it.

Jun 26, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #747 of 3,694
  I wasn't able to play 192kHz files on my Rednet 3 no matter which combination of settings I tried. I figured it out by reading a post on another forum. I simply changed the latency to 4 on Dante Virtual Soundcard. Bingo! It works beautifully.
I guess I was just tired and frustrated from futzing with my system all day. I hope this can help someone else who is having the same problem.
Now I'm just waiting for custom cables to be built so I can connect my Lynx Aurora 8. Then I will really be able to see what this baby can do!
Have fun.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/806827/audio-over-ip-rednet-3-16-review-aes67-sets-a-new-standard-for-computer-audio/720#post_12677270

Jun 26, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #748 of 3,694
  It's been a little over a week since I've received the D16. I've been listening almost exclusively with the Rednet-Mutec-Yggy combo (AES) and really enjoying it. To test my preference, I went back and listened to my dual PC config with Jplay. The reason I did so is that AO 2.0 became available in non-beta form for Windows 10. I had purchased an AO license late last year but never installed it as I was waiting for 2.0.  The upgrade license (from 1.4 to 2.0) was pretty reasonable (approx. $30) so I was curious and decided to give it a shot. 

End result - no change from what I heard last weekend. Cleary prefer the Rednet to dual config. If anything, I think the disparity has grown. I listened to more audiophile type recordings for this test and the RedNet revealed much more of the recordings. It also continued to be more emotionally involving. The dual PC config (CAPS Pipeline) has  dedicated USB card (SOTM), Battery powered OS, Wyred Recovery,HD Plex Power Supply, Curious cables and Optical Isolation. The D16 system in contrast  is using $20 blue jeans cat 6 ethernet cable, $35 Benchmark AES cables  and $5 power cord.

Needless to say, the RedNet remains in my main system. I can tell by reading some posts that the RedNets may not be "plug and play" for everyone. All I can say is IMO the sound quality and rock solid operation (once set up) is worth it.

Quick question, you are comparing the USB input of the Yggy to the AES input?

Jun 26, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #749 of 3,694
Comparison was AES for both using Mutec.  I have listened to 3 systems (Dual PC, uRendu and RedNet) with and without Mutec and prefer the Mutec in the chain in every case. ​

Jun 26, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #750 of 3,694
  Hi rw35
you can PM me
i am sorry.it is no  quite appropriate to talk about our products here.
Here is the night.
I must to get off the line.
have a good day.
beerchug.gif

Finally the man behind F-1 your product f1 have become legend here
dont stop to produce another high end device like f1 keep more and more DONT STOP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back