AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Jul 21, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #1,141 of 3,694
  In looking back on my notes, the 20 to ≈ 150 hrs were not anywhere near the best that these RedNet boxes can do.
In fact my notes say that my 2-Wyrd setup was better.

Just an observation.

JJ

I am confused. Are you saying that you prefer your Wyred setup to your RN3 set up or that burn-in took longer with your RedNet setup.

Thanks!

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #1,142 of 3,694
Bad idea, you can be lowering the impedance. The key to great SPDIF is as perfect 75 ohm impedance as possible. Just that connector looks sketchy.

Thanks for weighing in. Here's some info I've come across, wondering if it applies:

Also, it is critical to understand that signal loss is not equal to data loss. 100% data recovery can easily be maintained in the face of 10%, 20% or even higher signal loss. As I have said before, the clock jitter is much more critical to data recovery than signal strength. As long as signal strength is sufficient to allow the receiving end to "recover" the data stream and clock, the absolute signal level does not matter. The output level from the transformer out the cable is ~600mv. The minimum level per the specification for 100% data recover at the receiving end is 200mv. That's just 1/3 the output! That means 30% signal loss would still provide 50% more than the minimum.

Proper impedance matching is important in theory, but in practice there is plenty of margin to insure 100% data transmission.

Cheers,
Michael

Jul 21, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #1,144 of 3,694
Question : For rednet 3 we need the dante software am i right?...if so can the software work under ubuntu ? i am not seeing the ubuntu support under there page?

If it can only be used in windows...does it require lot of ram and Cpu...for windows i have a NUC with i5 and 16gb ram which is also my server for many other things....so is it recommended to have a sperate pc for this or can a one pc which is used for multiple things can be used for streaming audio.

Jul 21, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #1,145 of 3,694
  Question : For rednet 3 we need the dante software am i right?...if so can the software work under ubuntu ? i am not seeing the ubuntu support under there page?

If it can only be used in windows...does it require lot of ram and Cpu...for windows i have a NUC with i5 and 16gb ram which is also my server for many other things....so is it recommended to have a sperate pc for this or can a one pc which is used for multiple things can be used for streaming audio.

I have the Dante Virtual Soundcard installed on a NUC computer and it is working flawlessly. No linux compatibility at the moment.

Jul 21, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #1,147 of 3,694
You should be fine with 8gb ram. It is pretty stable in my set-up. Not a single drop-out ever since I had it.

Jul 21, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #1,148 of 3,694
  how much memory and performance issue you see...I only have 8gb ram to give to this guy.

You're not thinking of virtualizing the Wndows install, are you?  I thought I read that the performance in a VM would be unacceptable.

Jul 21, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #1,149 of 3,694

You're not thinking of virtualizing the Wndows install, are you?  I thought I read that the performance in a VM would be unacceptable.

No. I have a small Nuc (windows 7 X64) which is used pfsense (home firewall) and some media sharing server. I plan to use Dante on that. I have another machine which has Ubuntu on it, as agreed i cant use it.

Was wondering that do the audio device needs to be like CAPS (no other process running) or this NUC can be used.

Jul 21, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #1,150 of 3,694

I am confused. Are you saying that you prefer your Wyred setup to your RN3 set up or that burn-in took longer with your RedNet setup.

Thanks!

I am saying that from about 20 to 150hrs of burn in, the RN3 sounded slightly worse, to about the same as my 2-Wyrd setup.

After that the RN3 started to leave the SQ of my 2-Wyrd setup behind, and that the SQ gap has only increased as the hours have accumulated.

JJ

Jul 21, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #1,151 of 3,694
  I am saying that from about 20 to 150hrs of burn in, the RN3 sounded slightly worse, to about the same as my 2-Wyrd setup.

After that the RN3 started to leave the SQ of my 2-Wyrd setup behind, and that the SQ gap has only increased as the hours have accumulated.

JJ

Thanks. I would say that my D16 with Mutec +3 USB sounded better than my REGEN/Mutec USB chain immediately and still continues to improve.

I had not expected break-in with the D16 and I am a big believer in it....

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #1,152 of 3,694
Yeah, many don't think break-in is 'real'.

But I have yet to experience any piece of gear that doesn't get better thru time and in some cases dramatically so.
The prime example being a Schiit Jggy dac.

JJ

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #1,153 of 3,694

There are 2 sources of s/w needed for these RedNet boxes.
Both Focusrite and Audinate supply necessary s/w bits.

And if Ubuntu isn't listed, for either, a phone call or email will answer your question for sure.

As for ram usage, these s/w bits are mostly for setup, monitoring and really not much else.
The Virtual sound card, which is a virtual device driver runs, but that's about it, and unless you open the Danté or RedNet controller s/w there isn't anything else added to the running s/w mix.

JJ

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #1,154 of 3,694
  There are 2 sources of s/w needed for these RedNet boxes.
Both Focusrite and Audinate supply necessary s/w bits.

And if Ubuntu isn't listed, for either, a phone call or email will answer your question for sure.

As for ram usage, these s/w bits are mostly for setup, monitoring and really not much else.
The Virtual sound card, which is a virtual device driver runs, but that's about it, and unless you open the Danté or RedNet controller s/w there isn't anything else added to the running s/w mix.

JJ

So a NUC should suffice. Nice i dont need to spend another 600$ for a CAPS server i can think of buying rednet3 now....Nice and Thank you.

V

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #1,155 of 3,694
So a NUC should suffice. Nice i dont need to spend another 600$ for a CAPS server i can think of buying rednet3 now....Nice and Thank you.

V

The only thing to mind is that your PC with DVS and playback software, has low enough network latency. Dante runs real time network protocols, so its traffic has to be top notch.
This depends how you connect to the RN3 or D16, a direct connection to the PC probably won't give any issues. Connecting PC via a switch to the Rednet might require more attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back