Audio optical output adapters??
Oct 14, 2009 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Warleytobias

New Head-Fier
You help would be greatly appreciated, I just received my Sennheiser RS 130 Wireless Surround Sound Headphones and just realized the only audio out I have on my Vizio is optical. Is there anything I acn do?

Oct 14, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 10
You have to get some kind of digital-to-analogue converter that converts the optical signal into regular analogue output (via a normal 1/8" miniplug or maybe a 1/4" plug) then hook the wireless headphone's transmitter into that.

look for "toslink dac" or "optical dac", pay attention to the shape of the optical jack out of the tv, its a regular toslink connection.

Seems like too many conversions to me though, digital to analogue, analogue to bluetooth or radiowave, radio wave to analogue at the headphones.

Oct 14, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 10
You could get something like the iBasso D10 dac/amp and if you are lucky with the output plug on the tv the optical cable that comes with the D10 should work.

Oct 14, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 10
Getting an amp would be useless for the wireless set. But if you want to upgrade later then it would be a great idea.

Oct 14, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 10
that'd be exactly what you are looking for. I don't know what the quality of their products are though. And you could probably get something for cheaper than 100 bucks

Oct 14, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Getting an amp would be useless for the wireless set. But if you want to upgrade later then it would be a great idea.

Well not necesarily as you still need a analog signal out be it line og headphone level to plug the transmitter into and the selection of optical units is rather limited to my knowledge but yes the price of the D10 might be a bit much compared with the price of the RS130. The Gefen unit should do the job if you got a female 1/8" to rca adaptor cable with the phones. It came with the RS140 I have just sold but I frequently had troubly with the line-out from my NAD receiver supplying a strong enough signal for the wireless transmitter so I still had to connect to the headphone out, hence my recommendation of the D10.

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Warleytobias /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just reading that the Gefen GTV-DD-2-AA might solve my problem. Anyone have any experience with a converter like this?

I too was dissappointed to find my new LG TV had only an optical audio output.
I bought an optical to analog converter (from Amazon $58) and plugged in the transmiter to my wireless headphones. This works. I'm hard of hearing and not an audiophile so it might not be good enough quality for everyone but it works for me.
Mblaine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back