Audio only DVD to Flac ?
Jan 18, 2021 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

el donkey

New Head-Fier
I couldn't find an recent thread on this.

So with some Vinyl I got a DVD rather than CD digital copy. A couple are 96Khz/24bit so I want to rip these to flac to put on my walkman.

What is the simple, free way to do this?

I use Exact audio copy for doing my CDs but this does not recognise DVD.

Had a look at VLC but that seems to only offer lower res options.

If i open the DVD in windows you get the two folders.
AUDIO_TS which is empty
VIDEO_TS which has the data.

Play the disc via VLC and it displays a low res static image while the music plays.

Thanks

Jan 18, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 15
Check out the website Majorgeeks, it might have some free software that will do the job

Jan 19, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #4 of 15
Long time ago I was using DVD Decrypter with DVD Shrink to backup DVD disks. The first one was doing a job better against various protection mechanisms and was used for creating ISO image free of many nasty restrictions. The second one was perfect for fitting a double size disk on the 4.7GB DVD-R media. It also allows to rip specific media streams, perhaps it will backup audio only. I never tried.

Note that audio stream on DVD disks is typically a compressed AC3 format. Maybe you mean DVD Audio disks which contain loseless hi-res LPCM files?

EDIT: Foobar 2000 with DVDADecoder plugin can play DVD Audio disks, so it is logical that it can be used with built-in Converter, similar procedure to backing up redbook disks (CD's).

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #5 of 15
He is talking about the Hi-Res portion of his DVD's.

These two are the ones you should be looking at. I've been using them for years.

DVD Audio Explorer = freeware
DVD Audio Extractor = not free

Jan 20, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #7 of 15
So the Discs I wish to rip are not moving pictures. I am not sure they are DVD-A as such or are they?
Nothing in the AUDIO-TS folder.
The music content is in the VIDEO_TS folder. Its hi res as stated on the sleeve which is why I want to rip it to flac. I have the same albums on CD and Vinyl so wanted to compare those against the content on the DVD discs (but on my walkman not via a pc).
The DVD explorer manual linked above points to audio data in the AUDIO_TS folder so I assume that app won't be what I need as mine are empty.
So these discs are official, came with the vinyl, play on VLC with a very low quality still image displayed while the music plays.

Jan 20, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #9 of 15
So the Discs I wish to rip are not moving pictures. I am not sure they are DVD-A as such or are they?
Nothing in the AUDIO-TS folder.
It is why I assumed from the beginning it is DVD-Video disk, not DVD-audio. Check logo on the disk, it will show either this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video
or this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio

As VLC only shows a still picture, it is probably PCM loseless format that takes a lot of space. A maximum for DVD-Video disk is 24/96kHz stereo. This is what you can expect to find here, but you must folllow with descrambling and building ISO image and then separating audio stream from the video container. Utilities given in my first reply should work, there are two steps to follow. I have no experience with new utilities.

Jan 20, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #10 of 15
Jan 20, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #11 of 15
@m-i-c-k-e-y
Had a look at VLC but that seems to only offer lower res options.
It is probably low-res or at the maximum CD quality stream from the unscrambled portion of the disk, but I can be wrong. The only way to know for sure is to decrypt the entire disk.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #14 of 15
Sorry, got diverted for a while.

The disc says. Audio DVD:DVD 5 /Region 0 /NTSC 96KHZ/24bit LPCM stereo. When I tried VLC the only option as I recall was 48KHZ
Audio DVD probably means "audio on the DVD disk", is not the same as DVD Audio. Please verify logo on the disk and chose tools for DVD Video or DVD Audio accordingly:

Current logo used as of 2001
DVD-Audio Logo.svg

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #15 of 15
foobar2000 is pretty good for ripping anything if you use Windows. If it really is DVD-A you're gonna need a compatible player and there are basically none of them made anymore as far as I know. Find somebody near you with an Oppo 205 and you can get up to 24/192 if Oppo doesn't block digital output for those disks. They do block SACD output except over HDMI which is not really useful for anybody trying to make backups of their SACDs.

On *NIX you can see if ffmpeg command line will decode it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back