Audio noob - how much will I notice?
Jun 9, 2008 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

n3rday

New Head-Fier
So, I listen to a good deal of music on my car's cd player. I recently started using an MP3 player I've had for a while, and I've noticed how much more detailed the music is, even using cheap $15 earbuds, than it is listening in the car. I also listen to music on my computer with some $60 or $70 creative speakers (2 speakers, 1 subwoofer) which to me seem pretty decent. I listen to a lot of Radiohead, Wilco, and some ambient or instrumental music here and there, and can really tell that I'm missing out on a lot of detail listening to that crappy car CD player and/or the cheapo earbuds. Either way, I've decided to invest in a decent pair of headphones.

Being an audio noob, how much will I really notice the difference between a cheaper pair of headphones ($50 - $100) to a more expensive pair ($150-$200)?

Is there really that big of a difference between the two price ranges? Also, what kind of places can I go to to try different models out locally?

Jun 9, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 34
Depends on the 'phones. Grados (SR60s/80s are entry-level Grados) for example won't give you a boost in stereo imaging (Soundstage) but to me at least, seemed to be better at separating instruments sonically. For the price you can't do much better than those two cans.

The law of diminishing returns really seems to hit headphones after the approx. $250 mark. For example, I can hear a huge difference between a pair of $30 Sony cans and $100 SR80s, but not as much between my sr80s and $300 SR325is. But what difference there is I think is worth is if you have good equipment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 34
yes, once you get into the 200-300$ range its normally pretty subtle differences between cans. Normally has to do with the presentation of the sound, the soundstage, the type (Closed, open).

I think you would notice a pretty good difference with a 100$ pair of headphones,depending on what you using as a source. If youre using a laptop with on board sound, plus low bite rate MP3, you going to be able to hear the flaws in your music. Can pick up a basic pair of grado or sennhesier with that budget. Maybe the HD555s and a small CMOY amp? Thats what got me started on amps and headphones.

Jun 9, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 34
i just sold my PX100s on the for sale forum for 23$ shipped, keep a eye for on the boards for deals =)

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 34
Well, I'm definitely looking for something that doesn't need an amp...I listen to music on the go a lot, and while I don't usually care about portability (I have a roomy backpack), I definitely plan on using this standalone with an MP3 player.

I'm really interested in the whole "sound stage" concept. I don't really have any experience with it, as I don't have any kind of system that lets me differentiate sounds that much. I'd definitely love to get some headphones ("cans," you call them here! =P) that accentuate that.

I'm in one of the biggest cities in the US - what kind of shops carry these things so I can go try them for myself? All Target has is Bose (which I hear is a crappy headphone with a great marketing division).

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rday /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in one of the biggest cities in the US - what kind of shops carry these things so I can go try them for myself? All Target has is Bose (which I hear is a crappy headphone with a great marketing division).

Bose isnt necessarily crappy, it is better than ibuds from what I have heard, it just has great marketing so in the minds of many, they charge a price too high for the given quality

You may be able to find some audio stores which are small and have models to try, I have also heard that GuitarCenter has models out of box that you can try on from many companies and styles of headphone.

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rday /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'm definitely looking for something that doesn't need an amp...I listen to music on the go a lot, and while I don't usually care about portability (I have a roomy backpack), I definitely plan on using this standalone with an MP3 player.

I'm really interested in the whole "sound stage" concept. I don't really have any experience with it, as I don't have any kind of system that lets me differentiate sounds that much. I'd definitely love to get some headphones ("cans," you call them here! =P) that accentuate that.

In my mind soundstage is the most addictive part of listening to music. The extent to which you can be immersed in the sound, close your eyes and imagine real people/instruments around you.

Some people think that this is just a subtle issue. However, those who are connoisseurs of imaging and soundstage are the ones who end up spending many thousands of dollars on their sources (see expensive source thread).

By the way, Grado/Alessandro headphones have the least soundstage SIZE out of the headphones I have tried. You might get a taste of soundstage with some open Audio-Technicas (? just guessing) fed from computer/portable, but I haven't heard any phones that will provide a good soundstage without an amplifier. You can definitely get better separation and imaging in a closed space, though.

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #10 of 34
I don't agree with the law of diminishing returns, if that is possible
biggrin.gif
. If there's any improvement, it's worth the dough. Plus, price isn't necessarily the most important factor, but rather what brand and model is under consideration. $150 Bose vs. $150 Grado --> Grado. $150 Grado vs. $150 Sennheiser --> depends; different styles. And so on. Now, within a line of headphones, the differences might be slight, and what some would call "diminished returns" on your money. It just matters how much you value those differences.

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #11 of 34
I noticed a huge difference when I went from the ~100 dollar HD280 Pro's to the ~200 dollar A900s and anticipate a happy difference from the 500 dollar AD2000's when they arrive in the mail, but I will let you know on that. You may not notice so much at first, but as you get used to perceiving more details and more properties of music in a second nature kind of way (you shouldn't have to be really focusing on trying to hear things if you know what I mean), you will definitely respect the differences between the different headphones in these different price ranges. I honestly recommend going directly to a pair of something in the 200 dollar price range, like the A900's, and saving yourself the upgrade step that you will have to take if you start out with 100 dollar phones.

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by younglee200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think anything beats IEMs (in ears) in terms of portability and sound when it comes to listening to your MP3. Do your research around here!

IEM is definitely portable and isolate noise but for SQ, it's still below headphone with the same price. It's almost impossible for IEM to imitate the physical thump/boom of full-size headphone. I prefer cheaper Grado SR-325 sound rather than SE530 or TF10.

To appreciate headphone, make sure that ur mp3 bitrate is at least 192 kbps. 128 kbps mp3 will sound muffled with a good headphone/ speaker and many details will be gone.

Jun 11, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #13 of 34
based on amazon prices at this moment:
if your "cheaper pair" of headphones is sr60, it might be able to beat many, if not all headphones under $200 from other manufacturers in SQ (if you consider by price for a new set). The ms1 is another headphone in this category.

for $200, you can get sr225 which i believe is the next real sweet spot in the grado line up.

IMHO its hard to beat the grados in the entry level price range, and they have a fun/lively/exciting sound signature to boot. (albeit slightly harsh to many including me, and are not really comfortable to wear for extended periods of time).

Although if you absolutely prefer a more laidback sound, i would say stay away from grados.

And of course if you're considering used cans as well that provides alot more options to go with.

This is assuming you are going to use these cans mainly at home. Outside i wouldnt use anything but iems unless you're going to be listening to them in a relatively quiet environment and have no worries about sound leaking out.

Jun 11, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #14 of 34
I'm about to put up my SR-80's for sale. They have about 100+ hours of burn in
biggrin.gif
I haven't decided 100% on the price. But since I have everything including the original box and they are in excellent condition, I was thinking about $85 including shipping.

Jun 12, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #15 of 34
Will you be able to hear the difference in headphones in the price ranges you mentioned? I'd be surprised if you can't.

I don't know if Grados are the best option for your music preference, but they are very easy to drive and won't require an amp. If you go this route then the SR60 or SR80 is a great place to start or you can go straight to the SR225 or Alessandro MS2 (a Grado product). The SR225s were my first headphone and are still my favorite can for Rock. They just flat out sound awesome and are remarkably fun phones.

I'm sure others will suggest cans that are easy to drive and within your budget from other manufacturers.

Once you decide on which phones you think you want to audition you'll have to do some local research to see if you can find a shop that carries what you want to audition. Stereo and High End audio shops are likely candidates. Then calls to find out what they carry. Since you're in a large city look for a local head-fi meet to attend.

But most of all, enjoy the music and enjoy the equipment. This is a FUN hobby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back