Audio noob - how much will I notice?
Jun 12, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #17 of 34
I always recommend KSC-75 as the first step up from crappy ear buds...and for the same price.

Using an unamped DAP you should read user comments for headphones that are easily driven and choose one that fits your sound signature preference...lots of highs...warm & bassy, etc.

Good luck.

Jun 12, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #18 of 34
Think that you should work your way up relatively slowly, which will give you more time to admire what improvements there are in each upgrade, and will give you more time to improve your listening skills, without which the more expensive headphones aren't as good.

The first step, however, is the KSC75, and nobody will disagree with that. It's like Head-Fi initiation!

Jun 12, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #19 of 34
id say, screw the little tiny upgrades, they arent worth the $$$... cause later on, ull want more, and more and more.

Just hit urself with a pair of nice decent $$ headhpones.... its a bigger risk, but then the satisfaction is bigger too. (this is basically what I did, esp after a couple months of reading)

Jun 12, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by espire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think that you should work your way up relatively slowly, which will give you more time to admire what improvements there are in each upgrade, and will give you more time to improve your listening skills, without which the more expensive headphones aren't as good.

The first step, however, is the KSC75, and nobody will disagree with that. It's like Head-Fi initiation!

Pssh
biggrin.gif
. That will end up costing you more time and money. I jumped up the rungs very quickly, and am glad I did it that way. But yea, you need to have some high-fi and some mid-fi headphones, so that you can recognize the differences.

Jun 12, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pssh
biggrin.gif
. That will end up costing you more time and money. I jumped up the rungs very quickly, and am glad I did it that way. But yea, you need to have some high-fi and some mid-fi headphones, so that you can recognize the differences.

u dont need some mid fi and high fi phones...
if you wear ur hifi phones, when u try low fi / mid fi, u WILL tell the difference.

Jun 12, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pssh
biggrin.gif

I agree with this from an economics standpoint. I also think if you have not had much experience with higher end headphones, and you go for the HD 650 for example (yes, or our other favorites ...RS-1, AKG 701 etc. etc.), you will definitely have that "Holy Crap" reaction that we chase after like it's Salvation itself. Amplification is of course a related issue, but there's plenty of advice on that. Then your problem will be just like everyone else's here, mine included, and that is you keep thinking "if I just go one step up, I can get that same reaction all over again". I know this sounds silly, but it's a lot like a first kiss, there are plenty of good ones after the first one, but they are never quite the same. So why not kiss the prettiest girl you can find the first go around.

Jun 12, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #23 of 34
As mentioned in the earlier posts, go grab either the SR60 or SR80 as they are very good entry level cans. In my opinion, they possess a very engaging sound. You can try take a leap of faith if you are feeling brave and maybe get the Audio Technica ESW9? I took a chance and went straight for it after my SR60 and I am lurving it.
But before you buy any set of cans, do identify what genres of music you normally listen too as different headphones fare better depending on the music. I chose mine because I listen mostly to jazz, instrumental and a little pop and it had to be portable. Hence the ESW9 fits the bill just fine
smily_headphones1.gif

The bottom line is that....yes you will be able to hear the difference when upgrading from a pair cheap earbuds to a more decent set of cans but as you go higher the price to performance ratio evens out. IMHO the higher end headphones tend to be more specialized like the Grado SR225's tend to fare better for rock music and the Sennheiser HD600 is more for classical music.

I think I am rambling on for too long but you get the gist right? Say yes
tongue.gif
Anyway hope my explanation helps.

Jun 12, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #24 of 34
My first and only hi-fi headphone is the Grado SR-60 and when I first got them I was actually underwhelmed, but it just takes time to adjust to a new sound signature. Just make sure you take your time with the new headphones they will open up.

Jun 12, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #25 of 34
I 2nd the SR60, its a great bang-for-buck in the sub $200 range. I had the KSC-75's also, they're nice for money ($10-20) but can't touch the SR-60 IMO.

The problem is once you hit $200 phones, that's when you really have to start considering a headphone amp...

Also, if you're doing mp3's, in addition to 192 kbps, be sure to encode them as VBR (variable bit rate). You'll save a ton of space, you could probably do 128 VBR just fine too, and not notice any difference until you get much more expensive phones.

Jun 12, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #26 of 34
The grado's are all very good, IF (and I amphasize this point), you like the grado sound. I personally do not (and have tried many of there phones, both cheap and expensive). Whilst I have thought of getting an sr60, I always end up relizing that I would never use it, as whilit it is very 'musical' it is also overly bright, and for me fake sounding.

The best thing you could do is go to a meet or at the very least find several stores and try out the different headphones untill you find something you like. Also your source, amp etc, are just as important as your headphones. Hi-fi headphones + low fi source = low fi sound.

Jun 12, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdouglas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I 2nd the SR60, its a great bang-for-buck in the sub $200 range. I had the KSC-75's also, they're nice for money ($10-20) but can't touch the SR-60 IMO.

The problem is once you hit $200 phones, that's when you really have to start considering a headphone amp...

Also, if you're doing mp3's, in addition to 192 kbps, be sure to encode them as VBR (variable bit rate). You'll save a ton of space, you could probably do 128 VBR just fine too, and not notice any difference until you get much more expensive phones.

vbr = saves space, but VERY bad =P

Jun 12, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #28 of 34
I was in a similar position to you not that long ago. Due to a love of music (and a large CD collection) I bought myself h-fi separates for my 18th birthday. Personally I couldn't believe the difference and I still love my system today (some 8 years later).

When I started working full time a few years back, I looked into getting a decent pair of headphones like yourself. I researched into it and opted for the SR-60s.

Whilst I discovered they weren't exactly suitable for what I needed them for - office use - as they are too open and leak too much sound, I liked the sound of them so much that I kept them anyway. The first time I wore them it felt like I had strapped my separates system to my head with the benefit of the extra detail and immersion that headphones can offer.

Over time I have delved a bit more into the world of hi-fi and have listened to systems that cost many times the price of my own and have to admit that whilst on occasions I've been impressed, overall the differences are negligible and a matter of personal preference and therefore not enough to truly justify spending thousands and thousands more to upgrade what I have already.

To me it seems that the most exciting part of hi-fi is that step when you hear music played on a decent system or headphones for the first time. After that, you can spend your life paying more and more to upgrade and never get a feeling as good as that again.

Therefore, unless you are... flush with cash/obsessive/looking for a hobby or a show off (sorry guys), I'd recommend spending your money on a pair of Grados (best you can get for your budget) and you'll find instruments in your favourite songs that you never knew were there.

Have fun and good luck on your journey.

Jun 12, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #30 of 34
HD555 sounds bad if u ve heard HD595..

but its Good for Audiophile on budget

Users who are viewing this thread

Back