Audio Newb's Journal (AKA Answer my Questions >:D)
Dec 12, 2011 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 284

PomPWNius

500+ Head-Fier
So a few days ago I spent all my hard earned money on a pair of Etymotic HF5's I ordered on amazon for 98.97.  They will arrive at my door on wednesday. I can not wait to try them out. I have been using skullcandy (AKA ****) and some other crappy earbuds and headphones (I decided that I prefer earbuds) my whole life, so I have never experienced good audio... except for like 5 seconds at a best buy store with some 200 dollar bose headphones. So in my anticipation I have been reading every single post on this forum, read every review, and watched every video about these earbuds (I am serious). I just need to know more!! lol. I have no questions to ask, just tell me things I will love about these earbuds, how comfortable they are for you, how long they lasted you (or if they are still working fine, if so how long you have had them), and maybe even give me a song to listen to and explain how each part sounds like. Wow.... guys, that sounded kind of mean... DONT DO ANYTHING unless you want to help me out. OR just be a jerk and tell me to wait 2 days and see for myself haha. Now this is just going on and on, you get the idea. Now reply! :D

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 284
You might actually hate them at first and wonder where the bass is (coming from skullcandy) but give your ears a few days to adjust.  But they are very light on bass relative to other offerings.  But terrific detail.

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #4 of 284
From what your saying, you will LOVE LOVE LOVE the HF5. The vocals are insanely good on them as is the treble for things like cymbals etc. They are the most clear sounding IEM I have owned, followed by the GR07. I have owned the Earsonics SM3 and the TF10 and much prefer the sound of the HF5 over both those triple driver BA's. The only trick is getting used to the deep insertion triflange tips or buying some Shure Olive tips if you want a slightly more comfortable fit. I have actually started to get used to the tri's myself and will be ordering the custom tips at the end of the week.

Some songs to try, anything from Patricia Barber, Tracy Chapman, anything by Loreena McKennit.

These are the first IEM I have owned where I can clearly hear any Opera pieces I have from a 8GB collection of classical music I bought from iTunes.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #5 of 284

For what its worth, I love the Klipsch gel tips with the HF5. Super comfortable and great isolation.

Quote:
From what your saying, you will LOVE LOVE LOVE the HF5. The vocals are insanely good on them as is the treble for things like cymbals etc. They are the most clear sounding IEM I have owned, followed by the GR07. I have owned the Earsonics SM3 and the TF10 and much prefer the sound of the HF5 over both those triple driver BA's. The only trick is getting used to the deep insertion triflange tips or buying some Shure Olive tips if you want a slightly more comfortable fit. I have actually started to get used to the tri's myself and will be ordering the custom tips at the end of the week.

Some songs to try, anything from Patricia Barber, Tracy Chapman, anything by Loreena McKennit.

These are the first IEM I have owned where I can clearly hear any Opera pieces I have from a 8GB collection of classical music I bought from iTunes.

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 284
Just got mine recently. I find the large triflanges terribly uncomfortable but the small triflanges (the "frost tips") are actually very comfortable and isolating. Using shure olives with mine for the little extra isolation, comfort and wee bit more bass (I think).
If you want clear vocals I think you'll be really impressed by the HF5 :D

Dec 13, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 284
Thank you so much everyone. They will be in my mailbox in less than 24 hours!!!!!! I can not wait any longer! Just wish I had more than 1 dollar left over haha. I am guessing that I will like the tri flanges a lot. The only thing is my dad gets REALLy mad at me when I dont hear him because my earbuds are in.... I guarantee that these wont be any better :p. At least for these I could have him put them on and I could show him. Hey, its better to be able to hear my whole life than to not be able to hear my father for a few more years.
wink_face.gif

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 284
OH MY GOSH I AM SOO PISSED!!!!! You guys know how excited I was to get my package today. I could barely sit through school today. When I got home I got a chair and brought it outside and sat at the end of my driveway, waiting for the mailman. When she came she put a box in the mailbox. I had the biggest rush of energy. I ran over to the mailbox, ans inside was not mine, but my sisters package. She hasn;t been tracking her package every hour for the last week. she didn't set up camp waiting for her package. She didn't go through school only thinking about her package. WHY ME!!!! Why did they pick her package to load onto the truck!!!! I checked the tracking. Yesterday her package was in another town, 2 hours away from where I live. Yesterday my package was at the local town post office, 10 MINUTES FROM MY HOUSE!!!! I PAID EXTRA for my shipping!!!! SHE got standard free shipping !!!!!!!! I was certain I would get my earbuds today because it is 10 MINUTES AWAY!!!!!! WHY!!!!

Dec 14, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 284
I know it's hard to wait when package in same town and showing the current status but you willbe very happy after listening them.

Dec 14, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #10 of 284
LOL!  Not laughing at you, just relating to waiting for the box and the man in the brown truck doesn't have it today!!

Dec 14, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 284
10 minutes away: walk to the post office and pick it up

Going from skullcandies to etys... wow... you are gonna feel theres literally zero bass on the etys. couldnt be more opposite. hopefully you will adjust to them and appreciate them; they are pretty close to top tier sound. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #14 of 284
Man, you really aren't impatient at all aren't you...? You'd probably kill yourself if you bought something from a place like mp4nation lol..

The sound was beyond excellent, as long as you don't mind the loss of bass...
The best thing for me was the isolation, it's very surprising.
Course, I don't own one but..

Dec 14, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #15 of 284
Quote:
G** D***** THE post office is closed!  ...

It happens -- but check the Forum guidelines; we try to keep it family-friendly -- it's a pair of earphones -- you'll get them tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back