Audio Myths Workshop - Voodoo Hi-Fi exposed
Feb 8, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #61 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More experience with sound gear may be great, but if you intertwine this experience with perpetuated myths than your experience might as well be non-existent. Hell, it might even be worse, because then you can spread misinformation under veil of experience.

Absolutely.

Quote:

Again I will say that I have yet to even pick a side in this debate, so don't misunderstand me. I just wanted to get more real information out of this.

Don't hold your breath. And I say that after having been at this for nearly 30 years.

se

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #62 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoTrack
I guess you don't wish to talk to those since they don't support your point.

I guess you like preeminently insulting me for no reason.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoTrack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Meyer Moran paper has been widely discredited.

Care to provide other AES publications that prove such?

As for "audio asylum" and the "researchers" you've met -- unless their studies that discredit it are published then their opinion have little credence.

As for the mention of dCs findings . . . sounds like a marketing blurb.

Feb 8, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #63 of 246
Quote:

Clearly you either did not read or understand the papers I linked to. They refute completely the quotes I posted that Ethan Winer made. And they did so in a scientific, in some cases peer-reviewed, basis.

I'm presenting strong evidence here in scientific papers yet no one has presented any evidence that Winer is right.

You see, what I was saying is that while you may think you're doing that, you're really just throwing out semi-connected links without tying up the pieces, explaining the specific points of disagreement, or generally applying any thinking at all to the science behind the quoted abstracts. I've followed up on your links when I could, but it would help if you could offer some explanation why you bring up the pay-per-view studies linked at AES, for instance.

Your initial mentions of resolution, hypersonics, and cables are an odd mix of random facts that I can only fathom you bring up to create a straw man argument. By my recollection Winer never claimed that capacitance, resistance and inductance don't make a difference. Nor did he claim that all harmonics produced by a musical performance are limited to 20-20,000 hz, nor that high-rez formats are unable to record these hypersonic vibrations. Yet with the same broad stroke of the brush you casually drop unqualified truisms that cables (always?) make an audible difference or that Mogami/Canare sound like crap compared to Cardas (is it all industry standards that are crap, or do brand names also make an audible difference?).

Even writing this I'm getting confused what you're on about, other than being pissed off at Winer personally or hating having to share discussion space with inexperienced philistines.

Feb 8, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #64 of 246
Quote:

I guess it really depends on how much experience you have working with sound gear. If you have not experimented with teflon caps and the like then you have no frame of reference. If you have not recorded in hirez and compared it with 16/44 then you have no reference. If you have not A/Bed quality cables (interconnect, speaker or AC) with average ones then you have no frame of reference.

are you saying you successfully ABXed different interconnects or AC cables? could you go into details? how many trials, what cables, test conditions, etc...

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #65 of 246
Two Track.

I thought Mr winers post made a lot of sense.

Until you destroyed his arguments with such devastating insights as
"Ethan Winer is a moron who has said many stupid things" and
"Many recording professionals do not understand the value of better cables and other tweaks"

Please post more of your knowledge and reasoned argument on the sound science forum, it would be great if you could share it with the rest of us.

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #66 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_Jump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Until you destroyed his arguments with such devastating insights as "Ethan Winer is a moron who has said many stupid things" and "Many recording professionals do not understand the value of better cables and other tweaks"

I sort of apologized later for this if you read my remarks. It's very frustrating that people take many of his claims at his word when there is much evidence to suggest the reality is quite different. I also tire of internet debates that start off with audio "myths" written by someone of limited experience. It has a "high end audio is snake oil" vibe that is not supportable or particularly fair. I was too harsh on Winer in my comments but I find much of what he says simply doesn't match up with any experience I have from working on redbook and hirez recordings since 1990.

I think Mr. Winer makes some good points, however, and I am a supporter of acoustic treatments. But I know that things like higher sampling rate and better cables and better power supplies make a difference.

As fror DBTs (double blind testing), on the web it just turns into a "religious debate". Both sides can post scientific evidence that they prove A or B but at the end of the day there is always a lot of typing and no minds being changed.

The best thing I can suggest, and arguably the most diplomatic, is for people to simply try these things on their own.

If you want to explore hirez benefits I suggest the 24/176 HRX ("master copies") that the Reference Recordings creates as they use the same mastering as their CD releases of the same title. I find that hirez adds significantly. In my work in Atlanta recording classical musicians it adds a sense of "hall" and much more detail to the violin and other instruments. It seems to get the timbre right as well which I don't find on redbook.

As for cables, well that is a well-fought battle on the net. Just try new cables and leave everything else the same. If you don't hear a difference, then save your money. I wish I did not hear the differences as I would save some money myself but as we have been recording over the past two decades we have moved from Mogami and Canare to Cardas to Kimber to Pear mic cables and it's improved our sound quality along the way.

Quote:

You see, what I was saying is that while you may think you're doing that, you're really just throwing out semi-connected links without tying up the pieces, explaining the specific points of disagreement, or generally applying any thinking at all to the science behind the quoted abstracts.

The papers above address the specific points that quoted Ethan on. I'm not sure what else can be said to change your mind. I think I have supported my views with some scientific and peer-reviewed articles here. Here is the point by point rebuttal with a link to his quotes: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6381195-post21.html

The thing that is difficult here is that there are some papers like Meyer-Moran that refute that people can hear hirez differences. Again, I think Meyer did a good job of proving his audience had poor critical listening skills more than present evidence that those differences do not exist.

I'll try to be more diplomatic in my responses going forward and I hope Mr. Winer did not take offense to my harsh comments earlier. I think the community here which is really awesome in many ways would be well served by a look at both the available data on these topics and also by personal experimentation. I will try to advance both by suggesting things one can do at home if inclined and also present some AES or other high quality papers that present results of more scientific tests.

Also, if you want to see some interesting tests on cables then George Cardas has done some very interesting work. Here are some links:

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...able+Resonance

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...le+%28video%29

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...an+Audio+Cable

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...ements+Matter?

Full disclosure: I know George, having met him in the studio while working with Chesky Records, and he is a friend. He is a member of the cable trade but I find that this does not bias him. He has a very curious mind and is more interested in technological progress than making up stuff to sell cables. He's one of the good guys just trying to get it right.

As well, Roy Gregory, formerly of HiFi+ and now with Nordost, has been doing some really cool work with a UK defense contractor and Vertex AQ to measure scientifically the impact of various audio tweaks on sound quality. They presented their data at RMAF in the fall. I will try to present some information on this but the white paper and PPT deck have not been publicly released yet AFAIK.

Also, as you can tell I am a subjectivist with a scientific twist. I believe that scientific data is very important and we should apply as much rigor as possible to audio but I also believe the best instrument still remains the human ear. In my experience, one cannot measure all the complex phenomena of an audio event. Your mileage may vary but that is what twenty years of pro recording and high end experimentation have taught me.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #67 of 246
Sorry for more links but this is a nice test showing the differences from a power cord:

Cardas Audio

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #68 of 246
Quote:

Sorry for more links but this is a nice test showing the differences from a power cord:

Cardas Audio

I'm sorry, I watched this video and my response was the following:

lolwut.jpg

He never even explained what exactly he was attempting to measure.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #69 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by nealric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He never even explained what exactly he was attempting to measure.

??? He clearly talks to the noise and the scale of the measurement. It's pretty straightforward.

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #70 of 246
Here is perhaps the greatest problem with Meyer Moran. They did not start with true hirez sources (see bolded). This is a quote from Dr. Mark Waldrep, a noted expert in hirez PCM who runs his own AIX label and does the recordings for same:

Thoughts on Meyer/Moran SACD/DVD-A vs. CD audio study? - Page 6 - AVS Forum

Quote:

In my opinion, the flaw in the Meyer/Moran methodology was that they didn't start with any HD audio. In a few email exchanges with David Moran, he admitted that he had the members of the Boston Audiophile Society bring in their "HD" source material to run through their test. Initially, he didn't even state which recordings were used in their testing. It seemed anything that was available on SACD or DVD-Audio qualified. Not true.

If the original source from which the SACD or DVD-Audio titles were produced came from standard definition recordings (which includes many of the available catalog), then there wouldn't be any perceived differences between the original standard definition recording on SACD or DVD-A and a standard CD. The source fidelity is what matters in establishing the signal to noise level, the dynamic ranges and frequency response.

I was heartened to learn that none of my recordings were used in the test. If they had...perhaps they would have heard a difference. I would like to try the test as well...although I would do it very differently.

All of my recordings have been made using 96 kHz/24-bit PCM digital methodology AND have not be processed dynamically or timbrally in any way. The reverberation is also produced by the room in which we record. Looking at spectrographs of these tracks shows musical partials well above 40 kHz. Whether or not these affect one's listening experience (in the short term or long term) is obviously an open question. I believe it makes a difference.

It also takes a great listening room and a great playback system to deliver the increased fidelity...but the experience of HD Audio is absolutely an advance over vinyl, analog tape and CDs. When combined with surround mixing, I believe it's the closest we've come to the real thing.

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #71 of 246
Quote:

??? He clearly talks to the noise and the scale of the measurement. It's pretty straightforward.

Yeah, he talks about the "noise" and the scale of the measurement. But what the heck is it measuring? What's the signal?

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #72 of 246
Also, they used a Pioneer 563 for the tests which is notorious for poor sound quality and limited dynamic range.

I think the test would have been more valid if they tested hirez recordings with the same mastering in PCM so the difference, outside of sampling rate/word length increase, could be measured. A program of native CD recordings simultaneous with 24/176 recording would be ideal such as the HRX discs I referenced above. Or perhaps a DSD test where a CD is made from an analog source and an SACD is made from the same source.

That way the difference is only the sampling rate. You would have to use reference level conversion in both instances so you make sure you are representing the current best both formats are capable of. And in that case CD has a 20 year jump on SACD in terms of years of refinement.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #73 of 246
Quote:

As fror DBTs (double blind testing), on the web it just turns into a "religious debate". Both sides can post scientific evidence that they prove A or B but at the end of the day there is always a lot of typing and no minds being changed.

The best thing I can suggest, and arguably the most diplomatic, is for people to simply try these things on their own.

absolutely, one should borrow the expensive cables if there's a chance. get "familiar" with it and do the DBT with some reasonably build, shielded and priced cables. do one test a day, after 10 days you have a good idea where you/cable stand in terms of audible differences.

problem is DBT is not good enough for audiophiles since they are a special breed. they differ from rest of the humans and don't need to do it to rule out any doubts.

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #74 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
problem is DBT is not good enough for audiophiles since they are a special breed. they differ from rest of the humans and don't need to do it to rule out any doubts.

That's unfair. There are valid issues with DBTs.

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #75 of 246
that's exactly what i was talking about. DTB is valid and standard whenever the human subjective perception is involved but it's not valid for audiophiles. i never really understood the points against DBT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back