Audio Mirror NOS DAC
Aug 30, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #16 of 142
bg4533:
The caps don't really have markings or a name I can make out. Do you have a photo of your DAC-Ah's interior I can ponder? BTW, what are you mods? I have seen some DAC-Ah's with OPA627s and Multicaps. I still think there is quite a bit of tweaking available. However, heat can be a factor especially if voltage is increased to the DACs. I think the power supply to the digital/analog section could use some modding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
Does anyone know what brand and size teflon caps the Audio Mirror DAC uses?

Aug 30, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #17 of 142
Aug 30, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #18 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
If you're looking for a non-oversampling DAC that is reasonably priced there is a guy on eBay selling some that look very interesting, so much so that I bought the basic one. I'm hoping it arrives sometime this week. His user name is mhdtlab, unfortunately he doesn't have any up for auction at the moment, he's said he builds them himself in his spare time and there's usually at least one up for auction so I would expect to see something up soon. If you're interested check out his feedback and the items some people have bought.

I've got two of his: the simpler 1543 Digital Dialogue, and the fancier 1543 Digital Renaissance with a little mini-tube output.

He also just came out with his 1545-based model: Constantine.

-Dan

Aug 30, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #19 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwc
I've got two of his: the simpler 1543 Digital Dialogue, and the fancier 1543 Digital Renaissance with a little mini-tube output.

He also just came out with his 1545-based model: Constantine.

-Dan

Very cool, I've actually been very curious about the Digital Renaissance as well, can you tell me what you think of it and if possible a brief comparison of the Dialogue and Renaissance?

Aug 30, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #20 of 142
Heh, heh, "Skyboy's" review just kills me. Did you guys read all that? Here's some snippets:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyboy
Dynamic Life: Audio Mirror dynamics blossom like spring flowers; Ack! wafts like floral scent; Nixon dynamics like biting into a juicey mango.

Clarity: Audio Mirror color like clear spring sky; Ack! snow melting winter sky; Nixon summery hot and humid sky.

Liquidity: Audio Mirror liquid like a fine wine savored; Ack! an Apollonian tea ceremony; Nixon Dionysian celebration.

Depth: Audio Mirror wilderness landscape; Ack! urban angular landscape; Nixon round portrait intimate.

LOL!! Ok. Well then.

Aug 30, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #21 of 142
From the link posted here this player does look like it has some potential

http://eshop.diyclub.biz/product_inf...roducts_id=378

24 bit 192kHz sampling rate CD player, internal two stage up sampling circuit.
First, the 16 bit 44.1kHz CD signal is up-sampling to 24 bit 96kHz
and in the second stage up-sample to 24/192 and send to the D/A convertor with very low-jitter clock circuit.

Seems like there pictures could be much better.

Aug 30, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #22 of 142
I just picked up a Audio Mirror DAC1 with upgraded FET transistor at the output directly from Vlad For $600. I read the whole thread about this DAC being compared to the DAC-AH. I believe it's true that this is Vlad's design and not the other way around since the Audio Mirror DAC1 is on his website which hasn't been updated since Oct 02, two years before the DAC-AH was available. So even if it's the same, I believe Vlad was ripped off and I decided it was worth it to buy from him and have a one year warranty.

I don't have anything to compare it with other than the emu-1212, but this DAC blows that one away. It's been running non-stop and has about 50 hours on it so it's not past break in. The biggest improvement is the real soundstage it gives my RS-1. They have real depth. I'm still close to the stage but I can hear the exact placement of the band. The other biggest improvement is the decay of notes. Everything sound amazing and even the older recording sound new. I put on some Boston and couldn't believe how good it sounded.

As I said, I haven't heard any of the other DACs out there, so take it for what it's worth.

Aug 30, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #23 of 142
Sean H:

I had contacted SkyBoy prior to buying mine. He ended up buying two, but later selling one of them.

I liked his review style- refreshing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Heh, heh, "Skyboy's" review just kills me. Did you guys read all that? Here's some snippets:

LOL!! Ok. Well then.

Aug 30, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #24 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by WK446
Sean H:

I had contacted SkyBoy prior to buying mine. He ended up buying two, but later selling one of them.

I liked his review style- refreshing.

It is refreshing indeed, like the smell of a rose garden on a bright spring day.
wink.gif

Sounds awesome though, I would love to hear it one day.

Aug 31, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #25 of 142
Those eBay DACs look interesting... almost about to pull the trigger on a Constantine, but would love if I could get some feedback here (obviously his eBay feedback is steller, but they are not Head-fiers
biggrin.gif
)

Aug 31, 2005 at 6:48 AM Post #26 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
This caught my eye: http://eshop.diyclub.biz/product_inf...roducts_id=398 from the same place offering the DAC-AH. There doesn't seem to be much information circulating about it other that one positive review of the DAC-72, apparently a toned-down model of the DAC-68, on Audiogon. I shot DIYCLUB.biz an email about it, hopefully they can provide some more information as it looks promising. I don't think anyone here on headfi has one as their profile would have popped up in the google searches. :p

Anyway it upsamples to 192k, has digital volume control, standard and balanced output, and uses two 6922s for output.

$575 plus S&H, which would probably be high.

I'll try and pass along any info I procure from that email.

Dude!

I'm EXTREMELY interested in this DAC now.. $575 only! And it looks super sleek..

Wonder how it sounds?! !!!

I sent off an e-mail for a Shipping quote to Canada.. If it's around $650 shipped I'm going for it.

-Adrian

Aug 31, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #27 of 142
Hello,
Shipping a DAC-68(115V a/c) to Canada by UPS the S&H is 98.00USD or by HK
post air parcel with insurance is 93.50USD
Regads

Johnny

So the total is around $660.50.. not bad at all! I just gotta get my money and then I'll order this.. or maybe wait a little bit more and see how others like it =P.

Can anyone analyse these?

2005122154535.jpg

2005122154549.jpg

2005122154647.jpg

200512215470.jpg

Aug 31, 2005 at 12:33 PM Post #28 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobeau
Those eBay DACs look interesting... almost about to pull the trigger on a Constantine, but would love if I could get some feedback here (obviously his eBay feedback is steller, but they are not Head-fiers
biggrin.gif
)

So far my impressions of the Dialogue II are extremely positive. Haven't had time to do any real direct comparisons with the MiniMax but using it with a Grado RA-1 I'd say it's somewhat different sounding. The Dialogue II does have the typical non-os treble roll-off, I don't find it too bad though. Overall I would describe the sound as very organic and natural sounding. Build quality seems very good especially considering the price and delivery was very fast, in fact I think he even sent it out before my Paypal payment cleared, either that or it took 3 business days to get here. For the price these things are going for I don't think you could go wrong.

Aug 31, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #29 of 142
Hmm.. DAC-72 vs. DAC-68.. augh.

The DAC-68 really does look damn nice.. the insides..

Aug 31, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #30 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Hmm.. DAC-72 vs. DAC-68.. augh.

The DAC-68 really does look damn nice.. the insides..

It's not about looks, it's about sound.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back