Audio Lokahi IEM impressions and reviews thread
Mar 11, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #736 of 760
What are your thoughts on Aladdin vs serial vs hekili?
The Hekili came today, but… both cables terminated in 4.4mm, my DAP uses only 2.5 or 3.5. I don’t want to expend the time or gasoline going to my workplace and back this weekend to get a 3.5mm MMCX so they will taunt me until Monday.

Gives me more time comparing just the Serial and Aladdin… genuinely finding them “equal but different”. I can go into more detail soon but I’d want to think it through to keep it concise. Of the two I’d reach for the Serial more at the moment, but like I said not because it’s “better”

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #737 of 760
The Hekili came today, but… both cables terminated in 4.4mm, my DAP uses only 2.5 or 3.5. I don’t want to expend the time or gasoline going to my workplace and back this weekend to get a 3.5mm MMCX so they will taunt me until Monday.

Gives me more time comparing just the Serial and Aladdin… genuinely finding them “equal but different”. I can go into more detail soon but I’d want to think it through to keep it concise. Of the two I’d reach for the Serial more at the moment, but like I said not because it’s “better”
Thanks for your quick reply. I bought Aladdin after reading your impressions on them. Can I skip serial if I have Aladdin?

Mar 12, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #738 of 760
Thanks for your quick reply. I bought Aladdin after reading your impressions on them. Can I skip serial if I have Aladdin?
Yes, I think so. The only exception is if you are very sensitive to timbre of instruments, would prefer vocals to be a little less intimate, or are looking for more impact from the bass, even if it's at similar levels (tip dependent even so).

The Serial also reduces or over-simpifies some treble such as cymbals - in some case certain cymbals become tambourine-y. At least they are never too sharp, or never become splashy. The Aladdin is more airy and reproduces cymbals better.

I greatly appreciate your trust, so I've put some time into this reply. It seemed to me a table would provide the quickest reference without sifting through word soup.

The key thing is not to tally the + and -, but instead to see what they fall under. Our preferences put different weights on things. Right now the Serial's bass keeps drawing me back, even if I overall prefer the vocal forwardness of the Aladdin - because currently it affects my library more. Which is very, very varied, but as far as trends in the last couple of weeks, leans towards 60s style/psychedelic rock. A lot of it from Australia actually!

AladdinSerial
General
Imaging+ (marginal)-
Soundstage==
Instrument timbre (strings, bowed or plucked), brass-+
Vocal timbre (soloist)==
Vocal timbre (choral)-+
Bass
Sub-bass extension==
Sub-bass quantity==
Bass impact-+ (tip dependent)
Mid-bass quantity-+ (marginal)
Bass texture==
Mids
Mid intimacy+-
Mid smoothness+ (marginal)-
Mid detail+ (marginal)-
Male vocals==
Female vocals+-
Mid texture==
Treble
Treble extension+ (marginal)-
Airiness+-
Cymbal accuracy/detail+-

Sorry, messed about but couldn't set the table width narrower.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #739 of 760
Yes, I think so. The only exception is if you are very sensitive to timbre of instruments, would prefer vocals to be a little less intimate, or are looking for more impact from the bass, even if it's at similar levels (tip dependent even so).

The Serial also reduces or over-simpifies some treble such as cymbals - in some case certain cymbals become tambourine-y. At least they are never too sharp, or never become splashy. The Aladdin is more airy and reproduces cymbals better.

I greatly appreciate your trust, so I've put some time into this reply. It seemed to me a table would provide the quickest reference without sifting through word soup.

The key thing is not to tally the + and -, but instead to see what they fall under. Our preferences put different weights on things. Right now the Serial's bass keeps drawing me back, even if I overall prefer the vocal forwardness of the Aladdin - because currently it affects my library more. Which is very, very varied, but as far as trends in the last couple of weeks, leans towards 60s style/psychedelic rock. A lot of it from Australia actually!

AladdinSerial
General
Imaging+ (marginal)-
Soundstage==
Vocal timbre (soloist)==
Vocal timbre (choral)-+
Bass
Sub-bass extension==
Sub-bass quantity==
Bass texture==
Mids
Mid intimacy+-
Mid detail+ (marginal)-
Male vocals==
Female vocals+-
Mid texture==
Treble
Airiness+-
Cymbal accuracy/detail+-

Thank you so much for taking time to compare these two lovely iems. I love Aladdin very much for its mids and textured bass. I think those who are deciding to buy either of these two iems, would benefit more from the above comparison. I will skip serial for now, though they are great iems. I m going to spend more time on Aladdin and appreciate how they lift my mood and make me feel satisfied.

Mar 13, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #740 of 760

AladdinSerial
General
Imaging+ (marginal)-
Soundstage==
Vocal timbre (soloist)==
Vocal timbre (choral)-+
Bass
Sub-bass extension==
Sub-bass quantity==
Bass texture==
Mids
Mid intimacy+-
Mid detail+ (marginal)-
Male vocals==
Female vocals+-
Mid texture==
Treble
Airiness+-
Cymbal accuracy/detail+-

wow , excellent and very very helpful comparison ,
So the Serial has the upper hand in the timbre accuracy , i want to know Aladdin is far behind in timbre accuracy vs Serial ?
And which one is more easy to drive and not much to source dependent ?
Thank you very much for your time 😊

Mar 14, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #742 of 760
5k and 8k are nasty peaks. I had the Lokahi, cannot recommend. Cheap BAs to boot.
Yikes. I'll have to leave a counter opinion of the Hekili soon. Neither of us is "right" of course, but just to give a broader impression of how it sounds to different people.

You had plenty good to say about the Lokahi back when you owned it?

Mar 14, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #743 of 760
Yikes. I'll have to leave a counter opinion of the Hekili soon. Neither of us is "right" of course, but just to give a broader impression of how it sounds to different people.

You had plenty good to say about the Lokahi back when you owned it?
Oh yeah that is true, I was rather fond of it at first. Honey moon. Problems arose further down the road when I started noticing
the things I did not enjoy about it. I also got a taste of higher-end gear which gave me increased perspective. (MEST MK2)

Cheaper IEMs I enjoy far more than the Lokahi: Timeless, TinHifi T3+, Ikko OH10, Tanchjim Tanya.

Mar 14, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #744 of 760
I tried the Lokahi. It was fairly flat staging and at that point im out. I need my 3D. Got a friend that got the Hekili and LOVES the thing. I cant say its good or bad but this dude owns some heavy hitters.

Mar 14, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #745 of 760
I tried the Lokahi. It was fairly flat staging and at that point im out. I need my 3D. Got a friend that got the Hekili and LOVES the thing. I cant say its good or bad but this dude owns some heavy hitters.
Interesting! I am right with you there in needing 3D. Lokahi is very, very upfront sounding. It for me highlights the grainy character of its BAs.
Based on the mid to treble, the Hekili seems almost identical in frequency response to the Lokahi which is why I am personally staying away from it.
I am not convinced a DD would save it overall, but it might? Cannot say for sure. Not in the mood for that gamble though :)

There are better tuned sets out now with better components so I wouldn't bother.

Mar 21, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #746 of 760
Hey guys!

I have been using the moondrop aria for nearly 7-8 months, and wanted to upgrade. Timeless has QC issues, so don't want to buy it(I have never tried planars either, so not sure if I would like the timbre). While the aria still performs well, I kinda want a little more excitement in the music. Aria is a bit dark sounding.

Had my eyes on the hekili, been hearing a lot of good things. A guy I know sold his monarch mk2 and mest just because he liked his hekili so much. He said he doesn't need anything else anymore and sold everything off. I used to think the blessing 2 was my next upgrade, but according to the few people who used hekili, blessing 2 is not as good(standard version btw, no dusk in my country). Is that true? I wanted a fun sounding IEM, with a 3D soundstage, even if it doesn't have a lot of bass. Instrument separation is also something I want to improve on. Is the hekili the right choice?

I have an offer to buy blessing 2 for the same price as hekili, so it's really a head to head between the two. I heard blessing 2 can get boring, so hekili is much better while offering similar levels of 3d staging and separation between frequencies. Or is there something else in this bracket? Cannot go beyond 300$ unfortunately.

Mar 22, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #747 of 760
Anyone with any input that can help out a little?

May 6, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #748 of 760
From HBB, the thing that might be able to be a replacement to hekili is the Softears Volume. I bought the lokahi and it's a good sounding iem for sure and I really enjoy listening to it. Lokahi has the clarity that is for sure and the bass on the kick drum can be felt on your chest. I haven't heard hekili but they sort of have the same graph style but with DD characteristic in it. I think just go an buy it and settle.

May 6, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #749 of 760
From HBB, the thing that might be able to be a replacement to hekili is the Softears Volume. I bought the lokahi and it's a good sounding iem for sure and I really enjoy listening to it. Lokahi has the clarity that is for sure and the bass on the kick drum can be felt on your chest. I haven't heard hekili but they sort of have the same graph style but with DD characteristic in it. I think just go an buy it and settle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back