Audio Lokahi IEM impressions and reviews thread
Dec 17, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #721 of 760
THEYYYYYY'RE BAAAACK

Dec 17, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #722 of 760
Go get them folks. Really well tuned iems

Dec 17, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #724 of 760
Anyone know what ba drivers the lokahi or hekili uses? Searched all over and found nothing
Lokahi using 31587*2 + 30095*2 + 30120

31587 is dual driver, total 7BA per side

This might be not right since i just read it from mainland forum (forgot the link) , and I don't plan to break the iem just to confirm it

For hekili no clues, only 8ba +1dd

Dec 17, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #725 of 760
Lokahi using 31587*2 + 30095*2 + 30120

31587 is dual driver, total 7BA per side

This might be not right since i just read it from mainland forum (forgot the link) , and I don't plan to break the iem just to confirm it

For hekili no clues, only 8ba +1dd
Thanks! What is the 8+1 using? I reckon we will get that model here eventually.

Also are these drivers genuine knowles stuff or a clone drivers made by someone else? Im guessing its bellsing stuff cause of how cheap these iems were sold for before being brought over to linsoul.

Dec 18, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #726 of 760
Thanks! What is the 8+1 using? I reckon we will get that model here eventually.

Also are these drivers genuine knowles stuff or a clone drivers made by someone else? Im guessing its bellsing stuff cause of how cheap these iems were sold for before being brought over to linsoul.
Well i don't know about hekili

Usually they use domestic knowles which is cheaper than imported knowles

Actually based on my experience trying more than 400 different iem, the most important is tuning, i've seen some great IEM that using bellsing and there is also bad IEM that use knowles or sonion
It's all about the tuner's ability 😉

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #727 of 760
So, I got the esteemed Audio Hekili from a friend for a quick listen…sadly I was with it for less than 12 hours, however, with what little time it was in my ears, it left a positive impression.

Let’s talk about the sound first (Shanling M3X balanced out, low gain) - Hekili produces a very transparent sound with utmost clarity while providing a nice low end slam. The stage is significantly huge, with width a bit more than depth, and exceptional layering. Notes are very crisp and clean, while the sharpness is kept at bay - that’s a really nice display of tuning there.
Treble is very well extended and does not feel brittle - there are no uncomfortable peaks anywhere in this range. The same goes for upper mid range also. I am quite sensitive to Upper mid - Lower treble peaks, and I can confirm that never once I felt any discomfort while listening to Yao Si Ting - Scarborough Fair, or Poets Of The Fall - The Ballad of Jeremiah Peacekeeper (Mike Saaresto’s voice has some real edgy moments here that might sound a bit grating.)
Low end has also just enough emphasis in them so as not to sound lacking. Low end extends well, slams have enough body, but do not interfere with the mids. A very clean and balanced presentation.

However, therein lies the problem also. The tuning is so safe and by the book that it fails to develop a character and engage my heart. Low end can be heard, but not be felt. Subbass rumbles do not move enough air in spite of the good extension. The midrange feels too neutral - vocals do not have that throaty presence or weight to feel natural. Instruments are clean and detailed, however, again lacks the physical touch. But, I must emphasise - these are purely based on individual preference, and of late I have been heavily skewed towards the DD tonality, and hence BA notes do not satisfy me any more. But for those who can still enjoy BA sound, I can assure I have not yet heard a better set than the Hekili. In fact, from memory, I think it also outclasses the FH5s pro. With a cable change, it can do even more wonder. The separation, air between notes, open, wide and sufficiently deep stage with very good imaging - yep, it captures the heart at the first listen.

Against the IMR Splash Of Red, the Hekili has a more open and wide and deep presentation, while SOR feels a bit more intimate and small. However, imaging prowess is quite comparable between them. SOR low and midrange notes feel a bit more thick and natural than Hekili, while Hekili has a more refined high frequency presentation with sufficient energy but less peaks. Detail-wise I did not feel one lagging behind the other. SOR most certainly has a more coloured sound than Hekili, but that is what I love about it.

20220210_111937.jpg

Mar 9, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #729 of 760
So, I got the esteemed Audio Hekili from a friend for a quick listen…sadly I was with it for less than 12 hours, however, with what little time it was in my ears, it left a positive impression.

Let’s talk about the sound first (Shanling M3X balanced out, low gain) - Hekili produces a very transparent sound with utmost clarity while providing a nice low end slam. The stage is significantly huge, with width a bit more than depth, and exceptional layering. Notes are very crisp and clean, while the sharpness is kept at bay - that’s a really nice display of tuning there.
Treble is very well extended and does not feel brittle - there are no uncomfortable peaks anywhere in this range. The same goes for upper mid range also. I am quite sensitive to Upper mid - Lower treble peaks, and I can confirm that never once I felt any discomfort while listening to Yao Si Ting - Scarborough Fair, or Poets Of The Fall - The Ballad of Jeremiah Peacekeeper (Mike Saaresto’s voice has some real edgy moments here that might sound a bit grating.)
Low end has also just enough emphasis in them so as not to sound lacking. Low end extends well, slams have enough body, but do not interfere with the mids. A very clean and balanced presentation.

However, therein lies the problem also. The tuning is so safe and by the book that it fails to develop a character and engage my heart. Low end can be heard, but not be felt. Subbass rumbles do not move enough air in spite of the good extension. The midrange feels too neutral - vocals do not have that throaty presence or weight to feel natural. Instruments are clean and detailed, however, again lacks the physical touch. But, I must emphasise - these are purely based on individual preference, and of late I have been heavily skewed towards the DD tonality, and hence BA notes do not satisfy me any more. But for those who can still enjoy BA sound, I can assure I have not yet heard a better set than the Hekili. In fact, from memory, I think it also outclasses the FH5s pro. With a cable change, it can do even more wonder. The separation, air between notes, open, wide and sufficiently deep stage with very good imaging - yep, it captures the heart at the first listen.

Against the IMR Splash Of Red, the Hekili has a more open and wide and deep presentation, while SOR feels a bit more intimate and small. However, imaging prowess is quite comparable between them. SOR low and midrange notes feel a bit more thick and natural than Hekili, while Hekili has a more refined high frequency presentation with sufficient energy but less peaks. Detail-wise I did not feel one lagging behind the other. SOR most certainly has a more coloured sound than Hekili, but that is what I love about it.

20220210_111937.jpg
Thanks for insights. I have one coming in a few days and will be comparing it with the serial, in order to keep one of them. Currently the Serial is my top choice for an IEM, which is great given its price (and looks)!

Mar 9, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #730 of 760
Thanks for insights. I have one coming in a few days and will be comparing it with the serial, in order to keep one of them. Currently the Serial is my top choice for an IEM, which is great given its price (and looks)!
If you like the Serial, I have a high doubt that you will end up keeping the Serial.

Mar 9, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #732 of 760
I’m not sure I follow? 🤔
I meant, if you already like the type of sound Serial provide, you might found the sound of Hekili as a bit lean, although more open and spacious. After that it will entirely depend upon your preference - natural DD timbre or BA precision and separation.

Mar 9, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #733 of 760
I meant, if you already like the type of sound Serial provide, you might found the sound of Hekili as a bit lean, although more open and spacious. After that it will entirely depend upon your preference - natural DD timbre or BA precision and separation.
Oh Ok, I think you were missing a double negative or something, what I quoted still doesn’t make sense now.

I loved the Lokahi but not it’s BA bass. I do love the timbre of the Serial, the lows and mids too, its only clear weak point for me is oversimplified treble.

Lean was the last thing I was expecting from the Hekili’s graphs, so that’s a shame if so. The Lokahi had some deliciously warm lower mids already.

Either way I can’t lose as I’m enjoying the Serial so much. The Hekili’s just been on my “curious to try” list for a while (along with Volt and Canon, and in another life, EJ07)

Mar 11, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #735 of 760
Oh Ok, I think you were missing a double negative or something, what I quoted still doesn’t make sense now.

I loved the Lokahi but not it’s BA bass. I do love the timbre of the Serial, the lows and mids too, its only clear weak point for me is oversimplified treble.

Lean was the last thing I was expecting from the Hekili’s graphs, so that’s a shame if so. The Lokahi had some deliciously warm lower mids already.

Either way I can’t lose as I’m enjoying the Serial so much. The Hekili’s just been on my “curious to try” list for a while (along with Volt and Canon, and in another life, EJ07)
What are your thoughts on Aladdin vs serial vs hekili?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back