Audio interface VS dac + headphone amp ?
May 4, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlon64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know how it works. Peaks are a lot louder then the average, depending on the crest factor. Every additional 3dB requiers power doubling and every ~10dB is percieved as twice as loud subjectively, on average. It's not about getting them loud enough it's about getting them clean and undistorted. 

Exactly why I wouldn't gamble on the Steinbergs unless they measured these at 0.00001% distortion (which means you can still get a lot of power, provided the power supply can keep up, before being anywhere near 0.1%). Still, even the Focurites when compared to headphone amps from Meier, Violectric, and Schiit will be lacking.

Note though that while I wouldn't bet on the Focusrites being sufficient for anything apart from the 300ohm T70 it doesnt necessarily mean that I would endorse always going for a humongous amplifier with a power supply and chassis-heatsink that will make chiropractors rich.

Yes the scarlets have a 10ohm output. Considering reviews it seems like most people with 80ohm beyerdynamics are happy with focusrite preamps. 

One thing I forgot to mention is that I was able to try out a DT770 with a Scarlett 2i4 before, and it had a lot less of a problem with the 80-ohm Beyer than my HD600 vs my Meier Cantate. Again, the isolation is an asset there, considering I did that in a store inside a mall.

However i noticed one thing. The scarlet 2i2 and all the steinberg cards. Only have 2 balanced jack outputs, for the monitors. Which would mean that in case of buying a headphone amp, unless i can use some kind of a splitter. 
I would need to connect those outputs to the magni 2 uber with a jack - RCA adapter. And then give my monitors signal from the magni 2. 

This does not sound like a good idea at all. if it's even possible.

The scarlet 2i4 however, does have paralel RC outputs together with balanced jack outputs for my monitors. Which means i would have no problems adding an amp on top of it. 

The 6i6 also has 4 Jack outputs, not paralel but i think you can make them reproduce the same signal so it also wouldn't mind having an amp on top of it.

This brings me to a conclusion of knocking the 2i2 out of the game, because even if i'm happy with it's amp now, what if i get a pair of 600 ohm headphones in the future? 

So i buy a 2i4 or a 6i6 and then ad an amp if needed. 

If i could do the same with the steinberg UR242 i'd probably buy it but it seems it only has 2 Jack outputs. 

I wouldn't use splitters either, or have too many volume knobs in series. Your best option really is to get an interface with multiple line outputs and at this point the most affordable one does seem to be the 2i4. Of course, if any of them can output a fixed voltage line out signal for the headphone amp along with variable output for the monitors, go for that one.

May 4, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #17 of 20
Yes, true. If steinbergs had a line output i'd buy one and get an amp on top of it.

Since they don't the choice comes down to a 2i4.

In case i would decide to go with a 6i6, the "1,2,3,4" balanced jack outputs would be okay for passing signal to both a headphone amp and monitors?

I could use an adapter to give "RC" inputs on  a magni line level signal?

Most people are very happy with the 6i6 headphone output. It's AC powered so it's possibly quiet a powerfull amp.
And it had 2 headphone outputs...

I was just thinking, if eventualy i would have to but an amp for the 2i4, maybe the 6i6 would be a better choice in the first place.
Or maybe it still doesn't have nothing close to the magni 2 Amp.  

May 4, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlon64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In case i would decide to go with a 6i6, the "1,2,3,4" balanced jack outputs would be okay for passing signal to both a headphone amp and monitors?

I could use an adapter to give "RC" inputs on  a magni line level signal?

Or just a cable with TRS/XLR (whichever it has) on one end and RCA on the other.

Oh and the dipole plug is called RCA, as in Radio Corporation of America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlon64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Most people are very happy with the 6i6 headphone output. It's AC powered so it's possibly quiet a powerfull amp.
And it had 2 headphone outputs...

I was just thinking, if eventualy i would have to but an amp for the 2i4, maybe the 6i6 would be a better choice in the first place.
Or maybe it still doesn't have nothing close to the magni 2 Amp.  

Without all the specs on them it's hard to guess if the 6i6 actually has a better headphone amplifier circuit than the 2i4. What's more likely is that the added cost is just that the 6i6 has two outputs. And again even the use of wall power isn't always a good indicator by itself, unless we're only comparing to USB power which is limited to 5volts. Otherwise, there are a lot wall-powered headphone amps that don't do much better than a decent portable amp for not a lot more money, and when it comes to entry level interfaces, the low price means there are likely more compromises to the headphone output. Look at it from the engineer's POV - the most important feature are the mic preamps, followed by the monitor output, and by how many ins and outs it has rather than the quality of the headphone amp output.

And again it's not really that easy to guess if the Magni will have an appreciable difference. I can only guess based on how ratings are made that distortion will rise a bit more above the quoted power output, but again is the increased rate of distortion piling on that much higher and will you hear it at your listening level, more so without having the Magni on hand to see if there's a difference?

I'm basically just laying out the variables here and manage expectations whichever direction you go with this.

May 4, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #19 of 20
True yes. Well the conclusion is quiet simple. The focusrite cards seem to have quiet good D/A coversion elements, however they are primarily recording interfaces so headphone outputs are not a priority here.

Since 80 ohm dt770 are not that hard to drive there is still a chance that one of these interfaces might push them decently. If not i can get a separate amp for the 2i4. 
I will now try to get some more info on the 6i6 amps. If they are not significantly better then the rest of the line. I'm getting the 2i4. If the amp is terrible, a magni 2 might be in the game. 

May 30, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #20 of 20
I bought a focusrtie 2i4. 
With my 80ohm DT770's, when listening to music, most of the time i use it around 1/4 of the available headphone amp power. 
When i want to listen a bit louder i go slightly above 1/2 power , a bit above (12 o'clock). 

At 3/4 of the available headphone amp power. My headphones are unlistenably loud.
They sound much better then they used to with the creative audigy SE. 
And i got the card used for a great price. If i wanted to buy a used schiit magni/modi stack here in Croatia. I could because there was a guy selling it. But i would pay 3 times more and not have a recording interface. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back