Audio Interface to Receiver to Headphone Amp
Jul 6, 2020 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TheloniousEllington

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I have been doing research and I can't find anything for what I am looking for specifically, so I'm wondering if anyone knows about or has tried this. I'm going to be wanting to monitor and initially mix my recording through headphones, but will also want to use my speakers through my receiver. I also would like to use my headphone amp for my already setup turntable and CD player (which is in Audio 1 and 2). So, I'm wondering how to set this up appropriately. My ideas may be skewed, but that's why I am here.

I have a UA Apollo Twin X interface, a Yamaha aventage 1060 receiver and a Neve RNHP headphone amp. I imagine, I would use the line outs from the interface (TRS to RCA) to the audio 3, then use the headphone amp going to zone 2 with RCA cables (the back of the Neve headphone amp has RCA, TRS and 3.5mm options). Would this be correct? In short from this set up, would my headphone amp be able to have a signal from the receiver from the turntable, CD player and audio interface, depending on what channel I'm on?

Also, how would I be able to go back and forth between my front stereo speakers and headphone amp?

I appreciate all of the help I can get. I really appreciate your time and input. Thank you!

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 9
I say to connect your turntable and CD player to the inputs on the Yamaha RX-A1060.
Connect the RX-A1060's line-output, to an input on the Neve RNHP.
Keep the Audio Interface connected to the Neve RNHP.
Use the inputs selector n the Yamaha, to choose between sources.
Do you by chance run HDMI, from the computer to receiver, then run HDMI from receiver to computer monitor?

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the help!
My turntable and CD player are setup in the receiver.
For the line out, the only options I see are the rca zone out, hdmi zone out and a rca pre out. Would the zone out work for the headphone out?
Also, I'm a bit unsure about plugging in my computer with a hdmi in the receiver and bypassing the interface; I think the interface helps the daw signal before it's sent, but I'm not quite sure.

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the help!
My turntable and CD player are setup in the receiver.
For the line out, the only options I see are the rca zone out, hdmi zone out and a rca pre out. Would the zone out work for the headphone out?
Also, I'm a bit unsure about plugging in my computer with a hdmi in the receiver and bypassing the interface; I think the interface helps the daw signal before it's sent, but I'm not quite sure.
Bypassing the interface?
Which interface is bypassed?

Jul 7, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 9
The UA apollo audio interface. I mean that if I'm going from my computer to the receiver, then to the headphone amp, it could be bypassing the ad/da conversion in the audio interface amongst some other things that I might not be aware of. I figure the audio interface has outputs, so the signal from the daw on my computer has to go back to the interface before being transmitted to another device. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jul 7, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 9
The UA apollo audio interface. I mean that if I'm going from my computer to the receiver, then to the headphone amp, it could be bypassing the ad/da conversion in the audio interface amongst some other things that I might not be aware of. I figure the audio interface has outputs, so the signal from the daw on my computer has to go back to the interface before being transmitted to another device. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You can set the computer (Playback tab) to output audio to the Audio Interface or to HDMI, your choice.
So when audio output is set to HDMI, the Audio Interface is not used, totally bypassed.
When doing audio production (creating, editing, mixing) set audio to go to the Audio Interface, set audio to HDMI for everything else.
HDMI can carry up to 8-channels (7.1) of uncompressed digital audio, get the full audio from Blu-ray movies.

Jul 7, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 9
Ahh, I see. Thank you for the information.

I still am not sure about the outputs I mentioned. For the line out, the only options I see are the rca zone out, hdmi zone out and a rca pre out. Would the zone 2 out work for the headphone amp and the hdmi zone 2 out work for playback from my computer?

Jul 7, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 9
Ahh, I see. Thank you for the information.
I still am not sure about the outputs I mentioned. For the line out, the only options I see are the rca zone out, hdmi zone out and a rca pre out. Would the zone 2 out work for the headphone amp and the hdmi zone 2 out work for playback from my computer?
I'm guessing both the Zone-out RCA jacks and Pre-outs RCA jacks would work with a an external headphone amplifier.
Not sure what HDMI Zone 2 out is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back