Audio-GD Sparrow version A or B?
Sep 1, 2011 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

WaveRider69

100+ Head-Fier
Has anybody compare these two versions and what were your thoughts?

I'm wanting to grab this to go with a pair of Ultrasones, mainly used with EDM (electronic dance music).  So what I'm looking for is the one that is more aggressive, lively, engaging sounding

Sep 7, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 15
Seems like the Fun, Sparrow, and NFB12 all sound similar, with just a difference in the features:

http://www.audio-gd.com/Agents.htm

Quote:
 4[size=x-small],What's different between the FUN, Sparrow and NFB12?[/size]

[size=x-small]The FUN version A, Sparrow version A and NFB12 have same level sound quality  but different functions flexible.  Fun and Sparrow can replace the modules for choice different sound flavors. The FUN can replace the OPA but the Sparrow and NFB12 without OPA, the DA chips feed to ACSS modules.[/size]

I have a friend who's heard both the A and B Sparrow, and he had a decided preference for the B.  I emailed him the link to see if he'd post here.

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 15
The NFB12 has dual 8741 chips, more power filtering, digital filtering switching, better caps and a dedicated DAC output for $45 more than the B version Sparrow with single 8741 chip. This is a better value in my book.

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 15
I ended up calling it a day and just got the FUN 
L3000.gif
  I figure I should be good to go with that for a while, hopefully. :D

Mainly I was asking because of course the A version and the NFB-12 look better on paper, but I saw conflicting reports that the B version sounded better while the other was more flat sounding.  I wanted to see what more people thought that actually tried them both, not just made assumptions by looking at specs.

Sep 9, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 15
I posted on the Sparrow thread (should be pretty close to the end), the B was definitely better than the A.

Also gave my exact configuration since they can be set up with different modules.

I still think that the B is a great value at $160 and great with Grados.

I have heard and compared two different B versions as well as the A directly with the B version.

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #9 of 15
In MY opinion.

Also Pacific Valve (two HF members said that the <US distributor of Sparrows> thinks the A version is "smeared" sounding).

Also, mastering engineer who sold me his Benchmark DAC1 and thought that "there must be something wrong with the A unit that was sent to me".

(Kingwa said that there was nothing wrong with the unit when I returned it for a B.)

I had great service from Audio-gd personally and gave my B to a good friend that bought some HF-2.  

Good combo, in my opinion.

So in YOUR opinion, you might like the A...if so, awesome!!!

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #10 of 15
A little touchy there- still it's an opinion stated as fact. But if the Sparrow with Wolfson is smeared as some feel, the NFB12 which is pretty close in price (and a better value), is not......in my opinion.

Sep 9, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #11 of 15
^I would love to hear more of Audio-gd's DACs.

I share my opinion because I know some have "heard" Audio-gd's products and not liked them.

If there are some great differences between Audio-gd's offerings (even within the same product), I hope people get a chance to listen to the different versions and come to their own conclusions.

Several folks in my area like the B version.  

Little warmer than the Benchmark and I have had them both side-by-side for periods of time.

It was hard to justify even the used price for the Benchmark, in my opinion.

I like an on/off switch- Sparrow.

I liked USB option though I did not use it- Sparrow.

I like two headphone out to quickly compare phones- Benchmark.

I like the bit of extra extension and clarity from the Benchmark.

I like the $160 price of the Sparrow- Sparrow.

The B, though- and in my opinion (of course)!

beerchug.gif

Sep 9, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #12 of 15
It sounds like you enjoy a brighter or maybe dynamic sound. If that's the case, the chip in the B version provides that seemingly. The NFB12 is very good at $200 IMO but I have his higher end gear which is very, very resolving and I have it paired with speakers/ headphones that compliment it (dynamic by nature- bass heavy primarily) to my great enjoyment. My point is that you enjoy that sound signature and I enjoy mine and it's just our personal preference, not fact. And yes I'll toast you as I have a nice glass of wine at the moment.

Sep 10, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
I ended up calling it a day and just got the FUN 
L3000.gif
  I figure I should be good to go with that for a while, hopefully. :D

Mainly I was asking because of course the A version and the NFB-12 look better on paper, but I saw conflicting reports that the B version sounded better while the other was more flat sounding.  I wanted to see what more people thought that actually tried them both, not just made assumptions by looking at specs.

Good call.  The FUN is well, FUN...Line-in, pre-out, rollable HDAMs, great head-amp etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back