Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Apr 30, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #1,096 of 1,320
Hello, I'm getting the same issue with mac - qobuz (audirvana out) to the dac via USB then to amps (I've tried a few) and have gotten the same fuzzy/pink/white noise with cessation of music playback. Any advice for mac users? thanks!
Answer is below?
Resolved: i had to activate power switch on USB out of reclocker !!

Apr 30, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #1,097 of 1,320
Answer is below?
Not quite. I don't have a reclocker - was a question probably from an earlier thread - I was using audio GD R1 DAC direct to amp via USB (tried mytek liberty amp and monolith liquid platinum) and experienced a strange, loud white noise/fuzz within seconds following playback initiation. I switched computers to my designated macbook for audirvana and it seems to have resolved. With windows users, it seems there were some settings one needed to do to focus audio output or something - which I think is what audirvana does, no? So something seems to have resolved. Just not clear exactly what...

May 1, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #1,098 of 1,320
With windows users, it seems there were some settings one needed to do to focus audio output or something - which I think is what audirvana does, no? So something seems to have resolved. Just not clear exactly what...
Correct. In a case of Windows you need to find out option in your player for bypassing system mixer. With Win 10 and above you have an option to use system drivers or install Amanero drivers that gives similar features as with system drivers, plus ASIO output. You can screw up number of things. :)

In MAC OS bypasing system mixer is not so critical, as sound deterioration is minimal, but if you insist on bit-perfect playback, it was always more tricky. Audirvana could play bit-perfect having two options: 1. Oficially supported, there is a setting in a system multimedia settings app (I hear is not supported anymore) and 2. So called Integer output. The later is a limitation, Audirvana use it as a feature. System mixer require from the application to receive audio stream in the floating point format. When the application is naughty and sends data in integer format, OS recognises "no, its not allowed" and transmit data directly to the driver. But this method never had official support and was broken with some OS updates.

A good practice in both Windows and MAC OS is to not select your DAC as a default playback device. I recommend this setting, as system sound do not mix with the music. I suspect a startup noise on the first computer could be related to this settings.

May 1, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #1,099 of 1,320
Not quite. I don't have a reclocker - was a question probably from an earlier thread - I was using audio GD R1 DAC direct to amp via USB (tried mytek liberty amp and monolith liquid platinum) and experienced a strange, loud white noise/fuzz within seconds following playback initiation. I switched computers to my designated macbook for audirvana and it seems to have resolved. With windows users, it seems there were some settings one needed to do to focus audio output or something - which I think is what audirvana does, no? So something seems to have resolved. Just not clear exactly what...
Try to see if ASIO is enable and the only source to the DAC. I think it is a driver issue, whereas MAC or Linux based server does not require.

May 1, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #1,100 of 1,320
Correct. In a case of Windows you need to find out option in your player for bypassing system mixer. With Win 10 and above you have an option to use system drivers or install Amanero drivers that gives similar features as with system drivers, plus ASIO output. You can screw up number of things. :)

In MAC OS bypasing system mixer is not so critical, as sound deterioration is minimal, but if you insist on bit-perfect playback, it was always more tricky. Audirvana could play bit-perfect having two options: 1. Oficially supported, there is a setting in a system multimedia settings app (I hear is not supported anymore) and 2. So called Integer output. The later is a limitation, Audirvana use it as a feature. System mixer require from the application to receive audio stream in the floating point format. When the application is naughty and sends data in integer format, OS recognises "no, its not allowed" and transmit data directly to the driver. But this method never had official support and was broken with some OS updates.

A good practice in both Windows and MAC OS is to not select your DAC as a default playback device. I recommend this setting, as system sound do not mix with the music. I suspect a startup noise on the first computer could be related to this settings.
Thanks! PRoblem solved. Not sure exactly what I did, but it's working through audirvana! thanks for the help.

Jul 2, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #1,101 of 1,320
Hey, if anyone gets their ears on the new Audio-GD “ R1 NOS”, please let us know how it sounds. Thanks!

Jul 30, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #1,103 of 1,320
R1 NOS + DI20HE impressions! please!

Same exact dimensions. These two could be a match!

Jul 30, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #1,104 of 1,320
I can't believe that @FredA didn't do a review of that DAC yet! His review of the R2R-11 MK2 was a masterpiece.

Jul 30, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #1,105 of 1,320
I can't believe that @FredA didn't do a review of that DAC yet! His review of the R2R-11 MK2 was a masterpiece.
Thanks, i posted my impressions but I could do a formal review. i suppose you are speaking of the he7 mkii..

About the r2r 11, using a Maestro receptacle in the wall with its stainless cover, along with a better power distributor, brought a significant upgrade. Most of Kingwa’s gears react very positively to AC tweaks.

Jul 30, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #1,106 of 1,320
Thanks, i posted my impressions but I could do a formal review. i suppose you are speaking of the he7 mkii..

About the r2r 11, using a Maestro receptacle in the wall with its stainless cover, along with a better power distributor, brought a significant upgrade. Most of Kingwa’s gears react very positively to AC tweaks.
I believe he was referencing the new R1-NOS

Jul 30, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #1,107 of 1,320
To any owner of the R1. Could you please feel how hot it gets on the bottom plate after some hours?
-does it get hot?

Jul 30, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #1,108 of 1,320

I don't think so, I remember you did a great writeup of your impressions when you got the R2R-11 MK2.

Jul 30, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #1,109 of 1,320
I believe he was referencing the new R1-NOS

Yes I meant after @FredA writeup on the R2R-11 MK2, I expected he could give us a great review of the new R1.

Jul 30, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #1,110 of 1,320
Yes I meant after @FredA writeup on the R2R-11 MK2, I expected he could give us a great review of the new R1.
I don't have one. But i emailed Kingwa to ask questions. It could be sort of an enhanced r2r 1mkii (dac section). If so, sound quality should be fantastic when driven be an ext. clocked di20he. I will let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back