Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Feb 21, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #1,036 of 1,286
If you like the Chord sound you won't get it in any other DAC probably. But you will probably like an R1 a lot more than your Topping.
R2R-11 Mk2 will do as well in a derby with D90. And a headphone amp is matching R2R sound. If @Brando use headphones, it is a great value. R-28 if he can afford spending little more. No more nested loopback amplification with R2R DAC.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #1,037 of 1,286
The R-1 has arrived.
Had to download the Amereno Combo 384 driver before my computer acknowledged the DAC.
Now, I am getting a piercing pink noise that interrupts the music and eventually overtakes it.
Have rebooted the computer, reinstalled the USB driver on several occasions, but still getting that sharp pink noise.
Any ideas?

Feb 22, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #1,038 of 1,286
The R-1 has arrived.
Had to download the Amereno Combo 384 driver before my computer acknowledged the DAC.
Now, I am getting a piercing pink noise that interrupts the music and eventually overtakes it.
Have rebooted the computer, reinstalled the USB driver on several occasions, but still getting that sharp pink noise.
Any ideas?
Hi, don't panic.

What music player(s) are you using?
What input(s) on the R-1 are you using?
What computer are you using (Windows, Mac etc.)

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #1,039 of 1,286
Am using WMP, YouTube, Amazon Premium and qobuz (and having the same playback issues with all). What/when I am able to hear sounds good, but it doesn't last very long,
Am using the USB input.
Using a Lenovo G50 laptop with Windows 8.

Thank you.

Feb 22, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #1,040 of 1,286
Am using WMP, YouTube, Amazon Premium and qobuz (and having the same playback issues with all). What/when I am able to hear sounds good, but it doesn't last very long,
Am using the USB input.
Using a Lenovo G50 laptop with Windows 8.

Thank you.

I have Windows 10 but generally you have to set up your sound device to exclusive mode and make sure Windows is not interfering. I don't think WMP or Youtube have any hifi options, but scamazon and Qobuz should work.

For example "Allow applications to take exclusive control" and the box below should be checked.

By the way, the "2 channel, 16 bit, 44100 (CD Quality) is not used when you have DAC drivers (you should select ASIO in your music app if you can or at least turn on exclusive, and control the volume at the amp, not on the DAC or music player). These settings for bit depth and sample rate are only used when there are no dedicated drivers or if the app doesn't use them. These are safe defaults.

1677109104248.png

Levels should be set to 100 (this is 0 dB)

1677109067580.png

Spatial sound and all sound-effects turned off

1677109128321.png

1677109149873.png

You should also go through the options on your R-1 to make sure they're ok, and this is kinda painful due to the UI.

Post pics of your Windows settings if you have questions. It's late here but some of the guys are in America, so they will surely help.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #1,042 of 1,286
OK.
Will do.
Thank you.

Also, try running with the laptop on battery and only the USB to the R-1 plugged in, all other USB devices and chargers disconnected- if that works normally then you probably have a ground loop.

Feb 22, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #1,043 of 1,286
Everything is A-OKAY now--across all players.
I had to set the Communications tab to "Do nothing" and I think that did it (everything else was already preset as you had indicated).
Am very much enjoying Borodin's "Prince Igor Overture" as we speak.
Thank you very much!
:beerchug:

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #1,044 of 1,286
Everything is A-OKAY now.
I had to set the Communications tab to "Do nothing" and I think that did it.
Am very much enjoying Borodin's "Prince Igor Overture" as we speak.
Thank you very much!
:beerchug:
Awesome! Thank you for the update!

Feb 22, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #1,046 of 1,286
If you want to get great sound from Qobuz using Windoze you can try:

Qobuz => Virtual Cable => Foobar record => WASAPI event
It seems a workaround for bit-perfect playback, I don't use streaming, but saved for a future use. Note that in the latest Foobar version, WASAPI support is built-in and it is default output, there is no need to load extension. On the list of output devices when it is appended by "(exclusive)" it means WASAPI Exclusive mode. Event mode is a special case, now enabled by default as well, for older incompatible devices can be disabled on the 'Advanced' page.

There is no settings in the Qobuz app for WASAPI exclusive?

Feb 23, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #1,048 of 1,286
Is there a way to shut the R-1's display completely off?

http://audio-gd.com/R2R/R121/R121EN_Use.htm

"
Display :
Active (1) the display auto dark, the display will become dark in around 10 seconds after stop operate the buttons . Disable (0) the display auto dark, the display light always."

But, there is usually a "dot of life" so no, you can disable most of the digits from being displayed but you will still be "Blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night."

The even bigger problem is that there is no good way to enable the display, so after trying the auto dim more, I eventually left the displays on.

Feb 23, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #1,049 of 1,286
It seems a workaround for bit-perfect playback, I don't use streaming, but saved for a future use. Note that in the latest Foobar version, WASAPI support is built-in and it is default output, there is no need to load extension. On the list of output devices when it is appended by "(exclusive)" it means WASAPI Exclusive mode. Event mode is a special case, now enabled by default as well, for older incompatible devices can be disabled on the 'Advanced' page.

There is no settings in the Qobuz app for WASAPI exclusive?
Quboz desktop is already bitperfect on Windows, I have no idea why the previous poster suggested that setup. For other desktop apps like Deezer, I mentioned this approach last year or so. But it only works if you know the sample rate of the song.

Feb 23, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #1,050 of 1,286
http://audio-gd.com/R2R/R121/R121EN_Use.htm

"
Display :
Active (1) the display auto dark, the display will become dark in around 10 seconds after stop operate the buttons. Disable (0) the display auto dark, the display light always."

But there is usually a "dot of life" so no, you can disable most of the digits from being displayed but you will still be "Blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night."

The even bigger problem is that there is no good way to enable the display, so after trying the auto dim more, I eventually left the displays on.
Yes.
There remains an inextinguishable lighted "dash" in the middle of the display.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back